We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Europa ATM rip off in Munich

Phoenix, Arizona
3 posts
Save Topic
Europa ATM rip off in Munich

My advice when travelling in Germany- Do NOT use a Europa bank ATM. I tried to withdraw 200 Euros from an ATM in Munich and although it said my transaction was completed ($265 in US money), nothing came out. I immediately filed a claim and I just heard back that my claim was denied. Only use an ATM which is affiilated with a walk in bank. This happened in August and I am furious- this has never happened to my anywhere else I have lived or travelled.

Phoenix, Arizona
3 posts
Save Reply
21. Re: Europa ATM rip off in Munich

Yes, I filed a complaint immediately.

I tried to call the number on the ATM but it was in German so I called my bank in the US and told them what had happened including all the details. I even went to a German police station in Munich- they looked at me like I was crazy and then had me sit in a waiting room- after a half an hour with no one interviewing me I walked out. It was not a good experience.

My bank filed an investigation which took almost 2 months and the company owning the ATM stated that the transaction had gone through and the claim was denied.

Rayleigh, United...
Destination Expert
for Seoul, Rothenburg
Level Contributor
11,281 posts
240 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Europa ATM rip off in Munich

The transaction almost certainly did go through. These machines are self-checking. So someone else got the money. It's quite easy to rig some types of machine so the money gets held up; when the ripped-off person goes away with no money, the rip-off artist can extract his device which holds the issued cash.

I understand your feelings, but frankly if you had waited at the police station and got a crime reference number you would have been in a much stronger position. In a UK Police Station you would probably have waited at least an hour to be seen. I have no idea what the wait time in the US would have been but I think your expectations might not be realistic.

However, if someone else from abroad has a similar problem, they might do well to consult their country's consular services.

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
17,677 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Europa ATM rip off in Munich

this is what I thought initially. the machine says the money was dispensed, the op says he got no money. so it could have been stopped by an external device. there again, the bank might take it that you are trying it on. even if a receipt was printed, they have no idea if you took the cash or not.

24. Re: Europa ATM rip off in Munich

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 October 2014, 05:16