We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Regarding train change at Munich Hbf

Which Munich hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
-
Level Contributor
38 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Regarding train change at Munich Hbf

We will be staying in Freising for a night before leaving for Salzburg the next morning.

Freising to Munich Hbf train arrives at Platform 25 and Munich Hbf to Salzburg train departs from Platform 11 with a transfer time of 13 mins. Are 13 mins sufficient or will it take more time to walk to the other platform?

Thanks for your help.

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
3,835 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Regarding train change at Munich Hbf

Normally, 13 minutes are sufficient, even with luggage. But trains are often delayed, so your transfer time might shrink to 8 minutes ... 5 minutes ... 3 minutes. At some point, you have to run, and sometimes, you won't make the connection at all.

Better look up the time for the next train to Salzburg, print out that connection and take it with you, just in case.

If you miss the connection, there are new luggage lockers that rent by the hour, and there are a number of shops near Hauptbahnhof. Just walk in the direction of Karlsplatz/Stachus and you'll be busy for an hour or so.

Rayleigh, United...
Destination Expert
for Seoul, Rothenburg
Level Contributor
11,173 posts
240 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Regarding train change at Munich Hbf

I think the word "often" -from my UK perspective-is over-egging the pudding a bit. In UK 5 mins late is considered on time...!

I hope OP is using local trains and Bayernticket OR has no fixed train ticket, fixed in the sense of one train only.

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
2,856 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Regarding train change at Munich Hbf

both platforms are in the main hall so there shouldnt be a problem.

You might want to try and be near the front of the train if you get delayed, as Munich is a terminus station with the only exit to the front of the train, but literally the platforms are only 30m away from each other with no steps or anything involved so unless you are the slowest walker imaginable you would even have time to grab a coffee.

Trains to salzburg are regular so even should you miss the connection, the very longest you'd have to wait is an hour.

-
Level Contributor
38 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Regarding train change at Munich Hbf

Thanks a lot for your replies and tips. Yes, we have bought the Bayern ticket. I have noted down the next available regional train to Salzburg just in case. Good to know both platforms are on the same level.

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
15,263 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Regarding train change at Munich Hbf

You can also take the s-bahn from Freising if you want to arrive at the hbf earlier.

-
Level Contributor
38 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Regarding train change at Munich Hbf

^^Thanks for the tip.

Are the Eurocity trains better than the Regional Express & Regional Bahn? I know the Eurocity is faster but what are the other differences? Less crowded, better seats?

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
37,181 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Regarding train change at Munich Hbf

> Yes, we have bought the Bayern ticket.

Than you can only use the regional trains. Thus the RegionalExpress or RegionalBahn.

Not long distance trains like EC/IC, ICE or railjet trains.

The difference in travel times comes on this route in first place due the number of stations served en route. Between none (railjet) and basically every single station (RB).

The best trains on this route are the railjet trains.

With RE, RB and EC trains it depends a lot on what equipment is used for the actual connection. Ranging from 30 or 40 year old refurbished cars to new ones. Normally one should expect better seats on the EC trains - but I've experienced also exceptions on this.

Crowded depends mainly when you're traveling. The regional trains are more used by commuters. But if a regional train is crowded in Munich you can still hope that the situation will improve from stop to stop. If a railjet train is crowded in Munich it will stay this way until Salzburg.

-
Level Contributor
38 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Regarding train change at Munich Hbf

Thanks for the clarification regarding the difference. I think we'll stick with the regional trains.

9. Re: Regarding train change at Munich Hbf

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 October 2014, 05:17