We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Munich to Rothenburg by train

Which Munich hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Dublin
Level Contributor
15 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Munich to Rothenburg by train

Hi,

I have checked DB Bahn for travel info from Munich to Rothenburg.

The journey involves changing trains a few times and there are only a few mins allowed for getting from one train to the next. Has anyone done this, is there enough time for someone who has never been on these routes? Are German trains always on time?

If you even missed one train, you'd have to pay again to finish the journey.

Thanks!

Anne

Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
719 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Munich to Rothenburg by train

I took the train from Cochem to Rothenburg and had to make a few changes. At least on my trip the trains were on time for each connection. The best thing to do is print the schedule so that you know which platform your next train leaves from. Be ready at the door to get off as soon as the train stops. Unless you buy tickets for a specific train, you don't have to pay again if you miss a connection.

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
2,648 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Munich to Rothenburg by train

apecs999, your info is somewhat wrong, or at least can be read that way.

If you have a standard price ticket (which you mean by not " for a specific train") then you are not bound to a specific train so can get an alternative train, whether that's through delay or simply wanting to hop off and see a town en route on the spur of the moment. Standard full price tickets are completely flexible (and expensive!)

If you have a restrictive cut price ticket "for a specific train" - should you miss a connection along the journey due to trains being late you can take the first alternative train without any extra cost. This is stated in the terms and conditions.

But, to go form Munich to Rothenburg you might just be using a Bayern ticket for the regional trains so in that case you can take any train you want as its an unlimited day ticket and missing a connection just means you take the next regional train onwards.

Edited: 07 October 2013, 13:50
Chula Vista...
Level Contributor
2,617 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Munich to Rothenburg by train

Hi Anne,

I agree with Munich Wanderer--use the Bayern Ticket.

But, for future reference, when you look at transfer times on the DB website, also look at the train platforms for your arriving train and your departing train. If your transfer time is 7 minutes and you arrive on Platform 5 and depart on Platform 6, then you'll have plenty of time. But if you arrive on Platform 5 and depart from Platform 23, that may be a bit tight.

Finally, you can also manually override the DB automatically generated transfer time by using the "Adjust Transfer Time" feature on the website. Doing so, however, may add considerable time to your journey.

Zed

Edited: 07 October 2013, 16:28
Dublin
Level Contributor
15 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Munich to Rothenburg by train

Hi apecs999, munich_wanderer & zed1958

Thanks a million for taking the time to answer my post, all your comments are really helpful!!

Anne

Gambrills, MD
Destination Expert
for Fussen
Level Contributor
2,969 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Munich to Rothenburg by train

I've done this trip and can offer some advice. Don't plan on taking the last train of the day to Rothenburg, because if you miss any of the connections you will need to scramble. If you do miss a connection, and there are other trains that day, all you need to do is go to the ticket office and they will help you. We missed a connection and the ticket office advised us on a different routing, which got us to the next connection on time.

If you're using the Bayern ticket you won't have to pay extra at all, like previous posters have said.

Dublin
Level Contributor
15 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Munich to Rothenburg by train

Thanks!

7. Re: Munich to Rothenburg by train

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 October 2014, 05:17