We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Autobahn driving experience

Which Munich hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Munich, Germany
2 posts
Save Topic
Autobahn driving experience

I am taking a euro delivery trip from Munich to Salzburg to Vienna to Prague returning to Munich . This will occur over the next two weeks. I am interested in suggestions as to route to enhance the driving experience. Things to see along the way and open speed limited are of interest thanks for your help

Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
5,141 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Autobahn driving experience

http://goo.gl/maps/wG2Ng

Austria and the Czech Republic have speed limits and you are most likely to find traffic jams, building sites or speed limits on German Autobahns.

Munich, Germany
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Autobahn driving experience

That does not sound to promising

Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
5,141 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Autobahn driving experience

I really don't get why everyone seems to think that the Autobahn is a Formula 1 race course.

And I am fed up with tourist who never drove faster than 100 km/h and now all of a sudden sit behind the wheel of a car that could make 250 km/h but which they can't handle. Those folks don't only risk their own lifes.

Edited: 16 October 2013, 09:46
Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
16,867 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Autobahn driving experience

quilt. I agree! most of the autobahn has a limit of 120kph, (not that all respect it!) but really there is no need for requiring an open speed limit!

but despite many years driving on the autobahns, I am still amazed at the bad manners of these speed freaks, as they do not allow you to pull out to pass a slower car. yesterday, I was driving at 120kph (which was the limit at that point,) and a merc came up probably at around 200kph and sat onmy bumper with less than a cars length of clearance, flashing lights etc, as I was in process of passing a slower car.

road manners in Germany have deteriorated drastically.

Freising, Germany
Level Contributor
115 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Autobahn driving experience

As already said there´re general speed limits in Austria and Czech Republik.

On the Autobahn from Munich to Salzburg (A8) you´ve mostly speedlimits and usually much traffic, which doesn´t allow high speeds anyway.

For the way back from Austria I recommend the Autobahn A3/A92. Traffic is not as dense as on the A8 and afaik there´re less speedlimits. On the way you can visit Passau and Landshut.

If you come back from Czech Republik you can also drive back the A93/A9, with Regensburg on the way.

Have fun but take aware for you and other people: drive defensive, always have a look in the mirrors, using left lane only for passing slower cars AND be always aware of people making mistakes.

Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
5,141 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Autobahn driving experience

... and take in mind, that your car reacts differently the faster you drive. You need to be able to brake propperly when you speed along and all of a sudden there is a slower car in front. And no, you won't be able that situation when you are only used to 100 km/h.

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Belgrade
Level Contributor
14,233 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Autobahn driving experience

Well IME the worst speed freaks and bad drivers are actually locals used to the Autobahns and trying to make home or business meetings on the clock, some travel vast distances and expect to arrive bang on time - these are the idiots you see flashing you from the outside lane 1 mile back, then freak past at 160 + with no care about who might be in their way. Not to menton the taqxi drivers on the clock leaving the slip roads at full pelt, I'm sure my last driver did it on two wheels! ;-)

Dickson

I'd say you are better off taking smaller roads from Munich to SAlzburg but I don't know them that well,

once you are in Austria it's more sedate but to be honest the scenery from Salzburg to Vienna, once 30 kms past Salzburg on the direct route isn't interesting. It's only a 3 hour drive so get to the Danube as soon as you can and follow the Wachau Valley (Danube valley) into Vienna, it will add maybe 2 hours to your trip and you can stop off at some interesting towns and wineries, if you like white wine this valley produces some fine examples.

Or if you want a scenic route in another direction taking your time head from Salzburg through the Salzkammegut region (lakes), then towards Graz and up to VIenna. Can't help towards Prague as 20 years since I drove that way.

For route ideas check out options and timings here:

www.viamichelin.com

Stoofer

Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
5,141 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Autobahn driving experience

>>>Well IME the worst speed freaks and bad drivers are actually locals used to the Autobahns<<<

They know how to handle the speed. Dangerous are the ones who don't know how a car reacts once you go by 170 km/h or more.

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Belgrade
Level Contributor
14,233 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Autobahn driving experience

I think that's wishful thinking, Quilt

Also you cannot generalise as to how good or bad folk are just because they are tourists. I certainly don't agree with any notion that if it's a German driver they are safe, I've seen my fair share of terrible driving and dangerous driving locally. I do fully understand the point about minority idiots renting a fast car for first time and that's valid of course but to generalise further is wrong, for all you know Dickson may be a very safe driver just wanting a fast route. Just an alternative opinion, we can agree to disagree and guess we all have different observations anyway :-)

Stoofer

Bautzen, Germany
Level Contributor
814 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Autobahn driving experience

The best chance for a section without much speed limits and heavy traffic is probably the A93 and A6 between Regensburg and the Czech border. Especially the A6 should be pretty quiet.

PS: for companies like BMW, Mercedes and Porsche this "Autobahn experience" is part of the €uro delivery program. You should blame them.

PPS: much worse than Americans, who are often familiar with these kinds of cars, are Chinese tourists, who mostly use these cars as status symbols at home and have absolutely no clue how to drive fast and save.

PPPS: or how about countries were you can simply buy your license, like Russia? I once drove behind a Ukrainian who drove on both lanes for several kilometers! WTF?!