We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Munich transit visa question

Chicago, Illinois
4 posts
Save Topic
Munich transit visa question

I am travlling from US to India via Munich. I have F-1 Visa for US and hence I believe i dont need transit visa in Germany as long as i dont take scehnegan country flights.

Chicago>Charlotte(US)> Munich>Bombay

Bombay>Munich>London> Chicago

Yeah 2 stops over for very a cheap ticket.

I have following question

1) For trip Munich to London do I need to have a Transit visa? does london count as member

so does it break schengen country rule? I believe london is not part of schengen copuntries and I should not need any transit visa. Please confirm. Might have to get a confirmation from consulate.

danke

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
21,589 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Munich transit visa question

not quite sure of your itinerary, but if you go from munich to London, you will need your passport as you will have to go through immigration. as you are going out of the Schengen area, I think that you will need an entry permit, which is stamped on your passport when you enter uk. but it would certainly be best to contact your consulate to ensure things go smoothly.

2. Re: Munich transit visa question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline with regards to harassment of another user. We will remove messages that include personal attacks or hostility directed at an individual user or group of users, threatening language or attempts to force a user to discontinue participation on our forums.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 November 2013, 11:35
Stuttgart, Germany
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
7,940 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Munich transit visa question

If you are connecting in Munich directly onto the London flight and therefore not entering Germany/Schengen then you do not need a Schengen visa. UK is not in Schengen , sounds like one long trip!

Stuttgart, Germany
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
7,940 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Munich transit visa question

This is completely differant to the other question,which involves travel between German cities! OP here will not be entering Germany

Chicago, Illinois
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Munich transit visa question

Thank you guys for your input.

Boppard, Germany
Destination Expert
for Boppard
Level Contributor
2,120 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Munich transit visa question

In some cases, an airport transit visa is required even if you do not enter the Schengen area, but it seems you do not need one if you do not change terminals at Munich:

…diplo.de/Vertretung/london/en/07/03__Visa/0…

Chicago, Illinois
4 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Munich transit visa question

I will be changing terminals though for return trip

Chicago, Illinois
4 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Munich transit visa question

But the link says I get expempted if I have valid visa for US which I do!! I guess I dont need transit visa any more. Thanks for the link.

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
21,589 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Munich transit visa question

if the link says that you must have a valid visa for usa, then that is for the benefit of a European person. YOU don't have a visa for usa, as I presume that you are a us citizen. as regards terminals, international flights in munich use one terminal whilst domestic (inter Schengen area) go through the other terminal. as uk is outside Schengen area, you will pass through a transfer system with no access to the airport, for your international flight to uk. again in uk, as you will not be entering uk, yo will again go through transfer system to your Chicago flight.

so simply put, if you are not entering (in the legal sense) munich or uk, there is no need for a transit visa. but if you are planning a stop over, then you would of course have to have your passport stamped with an entry visa.

Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
4,909 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Munich transit visa question

< YOU don't have a visa for usa, as I presume that you are a us citizen.>

OP has a US visa so how can he possibly be a US citizen? If he was, he wouldn't have to worry about any transit visa at all.

I assume he's an Indian citizen.

The link above states, that Indian citizens would normally require a transit visa, unless they have a valid visa of certain countries including the US.

Considering what's in the link, OP can transfer through Munich without a visa, as long as he stays inside the airport's international transit area. If OP has to leave this area to get to his next flight for some reason, he's not eligible for a visa-free transfer.