We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary Advice

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
100 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary Advice

Hello,

Starting early planning for a trip December 2014. We are a family of four - 2 adults and 2 teenagers. We will be spending some time in London and Paris before we start our travels around Czech Republic, Austria and Germany. I want to give my children a "christmas in europe" feel to our trip (although we will be back home in oz by 24 December). I want to balance covering ground while soaking in the experience. Appreciate all advice.

Day 1 Arrive Prague from London (flight)

Day 2 Prague (walking tour and free time)

Day 3 Prague to Vienna via Cesky Krumlov (private prague guide tours)

Day 4 Vienna (relaxed day sightseeing - we have been to Vienna before)

Day 5 Vienna - Budapest - Vienna (day trip independent or with guide not sure) ?? too much??

Day 6 Vienna to Salzburg (train)

Day 7 Salzburg (free day roaming the town)

Day 8 Salzburg to Garmisch Parkenkirchen (train)

Day 9 Garmisch Parkenkirchen (just enjoy the village and zugspitze)

Day 10 Garmisch Parkenkirchen (just enjoy the village and zugspitze)

Day 11 Garmisch Parkenkirchen to Munich via Neuschwanstein Castle (chris edward tours)

Day 12 Munich

Day 13 Munich (day tour to rothenburg)

Day 14 Depart Munich

Am I trying to do too much.

Thanks

Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
5,133 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary Advice

The "Vienna - Budapest - Vienna" part is a bit too much for just one day. You will spend 4 to 6 hours on the road - more with snowy road conditions.

Are you sure you need all these guided tours?

Edited: 29 October 2013, 09:28
Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
3,129 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary Advice

theres regular direct trains from Budapest to Salzburg which may be of use.

You could decide to overnight in Budapest and then head to salzburg from there on the morning of Day 6.

Or (which would be what i would do), you could go to Budapest early on Day 5 bringing your luggage to drop at the station left luggage, spend the day in Budapest and get the 17:10 train from Budapest which has you in Salzburg for 11pm and you have Day 6 and 7 travel free.

The christmas market in Salzburg is great I hear so you'll have plenty to see on day 6.

If it were me though, I'd actually sacrifice day 7 in Salzburg and pull the plans forward to allow for an extra day in Munich later on, so you can REALLY see and savour the many christmas markets there. Theres over a dozen spread over the city with maybe 5 or 6 worth spending time at so you'll have plenty to keep the kids occupied.

Edited: 29 October 2013, 10:36
Columbia, Missouri
Level Contributor
2,292 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary Advice

Day 1 Arrive Prague from London (flight) – So this is probably a half day in Prague = ok.

Day 2 Prague (walking tour and free time) – Sounds good.

Day 3 Prague to Vienna via Cesky Krumlov (private Prague guide tours) – So probably no time in Vienna really, but ok if you want to see CK.

Day 4 Vienna (relaxed day sightseeing - we have been to Vienna before) – Sounds good.

Day 5 Vienna - Budapest - Vienna (day trip independent or with guide not sure) ?? too much?? – I would think this is too much. If you really want to go somewhere, how about Bratislava? Only an hour each way, and really you could decide on day 4 if you wanted to do this on day 5, or just spend more time in Vienna.

Day 6 Vienna to Salzburg (train) – So this is probably a half day in Salzburg = ok.

Day 7 Salzburg (free day roaming the town) – Sounds good.

Day 8 Salzburg to Garmisch Parkenkirchen (train) – So this is probably a half day in G-P. Read note A. below.

Day 9 Garmisch Parkenkirchen (just enjoy the village and Zugspitze) – Read note A. below.

Day 10 Garmisch Parkenkirchen (just enjoy the village and Zugspitze) – Read note A. below.

Day 11 Garmisch Parkenkirchen to Munich via Neuschwanstein Castle (Chris Edward tours) – Sounds good, but probably no time in Munich on this day.

Day 12 Munich – Sounds good.

Day 13 Munich (day tour to rothenburg) – Sounds good, but not much time in Munich on this day.

Day 14 Depart Munich – This part sounds sad. Haha.

And what I mean by “so this is probably a half day” in which ever city it is, usually you check out of your hotel let’s say at 8:00am, get to the bus/tram/train station to catch the 9:30am to your next destination, let’s say a 2 hour ride (some might be less, some more), now it’s 11:30 when you arrive, find taxi/bus/tram/U to your hotel, it’s 12:30, get checked in, change clothes, freshen up, get backpack ready for the day…..it’s 1:30 or 2:00. Could be earlier, could be later. Just saying that most of the time you will spend the first half of the day in the new city traveling.

A. I was not a huge fan of G-P, but I could see how people could be. I would suggest (if you really want to see G-P) Day 8 and Day 9 would be enough. Move events on Day 11 to Day 10 and add an extra day to Munich. Right now you really only have 1 day in Munich and 2.5 in G-P. This way you would have 2 days in Munich and 1.5 in G-P.

B. I was not a huge fan of Vienna either (but I could see how people could be), so I would leave Vienna out altogether and go to Berchtesgaden!!! HAHA.

C. In reality, you have 12.5 days (1/2 day on day 1 and no day on day 14) and are staying/visiting 7 cities. That seems a little rushed to me, not to mention there must be other parts to your trip since you are coming from London, but everyone travels at their own pace.

Have fun as you plan!

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
16,039 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary Advice

Since you don't have much time in Prague, have been to Vienna before, and the day trip to Budapest is kind of long, I would change the first part of the trip around. Add a day to Prague and go to Vienna a day later.

I also think that you should scrap the day trip from Munich to RobT and just spend that additional day in Munich. RobT is a long train ride away and you really need more than 1 day in Munich.

USA
Level Contributor
1,052 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary Advice

Rothenburg is pretty, but not worth a daytrip from Munich. The entire town is pretty much a tourist enclave catering directly to the masses of bus tour groups--it's worth stopping by for a couple of hours to look at the pretty buildings and take photos if you are in the vicinity anyway. But there isn't much of historical interest and it is just too, too touristy for my taste. I will say they did a nice job of restoring the 40% of the town and town walls that were destroyed in WWII.

6. Re: Itinerary Advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 November 2014, 05:18