We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

"Authentic" Beer Hall

Which Munich hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
United Kingdom
Level Contributor
189 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
"Authentic" Beer Hall

We visited Munich last year, and had a lovely time. We visited the Hofbrauhaus and another beerhall midway between Marienplatz and Karlsplatz (can't remember the name).

When we got home, a friend of a friend, who had previously lived in Munich, said we had just visited the "tourist traps", and should have gone to more "authentic" beerhalls. I felt quite insulted by their comment, as we had thoroughly enjoyed ourselves...

Obviously, there are lots of beerhalls - what would you recommend? We want to go for good quality food as well as the beer!

We arrive on Friday for three nights. Is there anything special on this weekend?

Thanks v much!

Munich, Germany
Destination Expert
for Munich
Level Contributor
2,688 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: "Authentic" Beer Hall

Look here, if "locals" are mentioned in a description, it's authentic enough: http://tinyurl.com/munich-restaurants

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Munich, Amsterdam, The Ardennes
Level Contributor
7,249 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: "Authentic" Beer Hall

Nothing wrong with the Hofbrauhaus!

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Belgrade
Level Contributor
14,164 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: "Authentic" Beer Hall

Don't worry about it, you are a victim of travel snobs. All the beer halls in Munich are 'authentic', it's just that some are more famous and/or more accessable for tourists and have greater tourist numbers. Places tend to be popular when they are good or have a history.

You can go to beer halls and gardens in the suburbs to escape tourists, depends what time you have but if only time to explore the old town I wouldn't be worried about reports of 'touristy'.

You get the same descriptions with Viktualienmarkt and the small beer garden there, it is rammed with tourists as central and a great vibe but it's also got plenty of local characters too. When I come to Munich for work my Munich resident colleagues often suggest meeting up for a beer in Viktualienmarkt, why? Because it's a place the enjoy and use themselves regardless of tourist popularity.

I'd go to any Augustiner hall or garden, the map and descriptions supplied by Panda is very good, Andechser am dom is as central as you can get but I've always been in the minority of foreign visitors whe eating there. Wiesses Brauhaus similarly so but I wouldn't use lack of tourists as a quality marker, they can be very enjoyable when tourists mix with locals. Just go where you like the ambience is best advice.

Stoofer

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
189 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: "Authentic" Beer Hall

Thank you all!

Panda - that map is incredible! Thank you so much.

Columbia, Missouri
Level Contributor
2,096 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: "Authentic" Beer Hall

"as we had thoroughly enjoyed ourselves"

This is what it's all about!!

Go where you like. If it's warm enough and they are still open, try the biergartens. Especially the Augustiner keller.

You have 3 days.......2 biergartens a day and 2 bierhalls a night......that's 12 stops!!!!! haha PROST!

San Antonio, Texas
Destination Expert
for San Antonio
Level Contributor
2,198 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: "Authentic" Beer Hall

I would suggest you check out Lowenbrau. Short tram ride from train station They have a nice outside, the first half is full service and the other half self-service. Reasonable food and prices at the self service. If bad weather you can go inside. Nothing wrong with Hofbrauhaus, just lots of tourists. I myself prefer H-P beer.

If you have time, you can take a short trip to Salzburg and head up to Augustiner Brau, they have a great indoor beer hall and a nice outdoor area.

Richardson, Texas
Level Contributor
136 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: "Authentic" Beer Hall

For me it is the beer that attracts me to the beer hall, regardless of whether it is touristy or not. So, Augustiner Keller, Weisshaus, Hackerhaus and Ayinger Haus all are tops on my list. A trip out to Andechs is also worth it if you are also into the history and a nice, if distant, view of the alps.

My only exceptions are any of the beer gardens in the Englisher Garden when the weather is nice which makes for a nice crawl as well. Also, fully recommend the Augustiner in Muln already mentioned in Salzburg which is not affilated with the Munich version but is excellent and worth the hour train ride.

Edited: 31 October 2013, 21:11
United Kingdom
Level Contributor
189 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: "Authentic" Beer Hall

Thanks again! We have arrived in Munich an hour ago, so are looking forward to a wee pub crawl tonight.

Prost!

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
14,926 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: "Authentic" Beer Hall

Prost! If the weather is nice, consider going out to the Hirschgarten - the beer garden out there is very good. And if you have a little time, a trip down to the Andech's monastery is a great idea. You can take the S-Bahn down to Herrsching and then either walk or take a bus or taxi up to the monastery. Herrshing itself is a nice town on the Amersee and worth a visit on its own merit as well.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
373 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: "Authentic" Beer Hall

Maybe we'll see you -- we'll be at weisses tonight and maybe a short stop at Hoffbrauhaus!