We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Munich airport: changing terminals fast

Which Munich hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Dublin, Dublin...
Level Contributor
21 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Munich airport: changing terminals fast

Any advice on fastest possible way/route of changing from Terminal 1 to Terminal 2 at Munich? My layover time is the minimum adviced layover time - 50 min, however I fo not have checked-in luggage, I should not lose much time at passport control since I have a EU passport and coming from US planes tend to arrive a bit earlier. I hope I can make it, however any advice how to save precious minutes is welcome!

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
16,882 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Munich airport: changing terminals fast

terminals 1 and 2 are connected. however, passport control , both arriving and departing is very slow and methodical, as is security when departing. if you have a through ticket, you may be able to skip those by using connecting flights system. I haven't used it, but it does exist.

Dublin, Dublin...
Level Contributor
21 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Munich airport: changing terminals fast

Unfortunately I have tickets from 2 separate airlines. So basically I'll have to leave Terminal 1 as all arriving passengers, and then enter Terminal 2 departures and go through pass control, security check etc as if I'm just taking a new flight?

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
16,882 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Munich airport: changing terminals fast

well then you are going to be hard put in making it! when your plane lands, all the passengers will be trying to go through the immigration control and having an eu passport has no basic benefit. if you are in a queue, you just have to be patient. once through, the airport is reasonably long and you may have some running to do! then when you arrive at departure security. here the passport examination is usually reasonably fast, again depending on queues, but security inside is painfully slow.

what is your 50 mins based on? boarding time?

yes, a us flight could be early, but don't rely on it. if your irish flight is an evening flight, it is nearly always late arriving due to daylong delays for the plane.

I suggest that you print out a copy of the airport layout, and try and plot your route. however whereas the us flight might come in at a predetermined gate, the irish flight seems to change gates and you could well have to run from area c to area b, or vice versa.

good luck with your connection. let us know how it went!

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
2,752 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Munich airport: changing terminals fast

if I understand it correctly you can transfer from Terminal 1 to Terminal 2 without having to go through german passport control, i.e. you dont "enter" Germany, if you get the shuttle bus from terminal 1 to terminal 2

Heres the info:

munich-airport.de/media/…route_t1_t2.pdf

It kindof makes sense as how would someone from India or Africa etc transfer in Munich airport when they only have a transit visa. If they were permitted to leave the passport control area, well then they would be "in germany" which would not be permissable on many peoples visas. If you are in Frankfurt airport during bad weather you'll understand what I mean. i.e. lots of folks enroute to somewhere else but they are not allowed to pass through the passport control to enter Germany so end up literally stuck, trapped, in the security area of the airport for a number of days.

Edited: 07 November 2013, 20:22
Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
16,882 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Munich airport: changing terminals fast

in this case, the op is an eu citizen and does not have a through ticket, but two separate bookings. presumably therefore he will HAVE to enter Germany and then leave again. surely the connecting flights system only applies to those who have a single ticket for full journey?

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
2,752 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Munich airport: changing terminals fast

theres another topic here which states that it is possible to go from one terminal to another without having to leave the security area BUT also mentioning that you arent "entering" Schengen/ Germany.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187309-i118-k6252…

Dublin, Dublin...
Level Contributor
21 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Munich airport: changing terminals fast

Thanks a lot!

Rayleigh, United...
Destination Expert
for Seoul, Rothenburg
Level Contributor
11,105 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Munich airport: changing terminals fast

You can simply transfer, with no need to enter Germany. Having two tickets does not affect things.

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
16,882 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Munich airport: changing terminals fast

reading the above and the advice given, I have researched the matter a bit. I had not known about the "external" connecting bus, but this would appear to be a handy way of transfer, as you remain "airside". the only problem that the op could have is being delayed offloading, and then having to go to the designated stop, which could be a small walk from the arrivals gate. then he could have to wait up to 15 mins for a bus and be delivered not close to his departure gate. aer lingus use areas b and c. however, it would still be quicker then going through two security checks. so recalling what I have seen, as you enter the main building from the airbridge, you see a sign directing you to connecting flights, where you will have to drop down a floor and walk to the bus stop. then when you reach the other terminal, you have to walk to either b or c which aer lingus use. timing is still possibly a little tight, and provided his 50 mins is to the boarding time, the transfer should be successful.

to the op. print out the diagram referred to above, and this will assist you in finding your way around.

Dublin, Dublin...
Level Contributor
21 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Munich airport: changing terminals fast

Thanks nakagoli and everybody who contributed, for now I'm feeling like those buses are still a better option compared to walking through the security. Fingers crossed and I'll let you know if I've succeeded