We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airport transfer to apartment near Olympic park

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
38 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Airport transfer to apartment near Olympic park

We are staying near the Olympic stadium. How much would a taxi from the airport cost? Would you suggest a better way to get to and from the airport.

Thank you in advance.

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
4,394 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Airport transfer to apartment near Olympic park

I wouldn't take a taxi. Take the first S-Bahn that arrives. There are two lines, one enters Munich from the East, the other one from the West, so don't be alarmed if the route is different on your way back to the airport.

Both lines will reach Marienplatz after about 45 minutes. Get off there, take the U3 (orange) to "Olympiazentrum" if that is the right stop for your apartment. You didn't say where it was exactly. ... There will be a subway every ten minutes, and it will take about ten minutes to get there.

You'd have to buy a MVV day ticket for the entire MVV area, "Tageskarte Gesamttarifgebiet", for about EUR 10,-. There is a partner ticket, if there are two of you. To find out more, see www.mvv-muenchen.de

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
38,997 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Airport transfer to apartment near Olympic park

Taxi will be approx. EUR 65.

Airport-CIty-Day-Ticket Partner is EUR 20,40 (good for 2-5 persons traveling together).

mvv-muenchen.de/en/…index.html

MVV journey planer

mvv-muenchen.de/en/journey-planner/index.html

To: M, <street name> <house no.>

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
38 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Airport transfer to apartment near Olympic park

We are staying in the apartment complex that was built for the Olympic Games.

Would I need to buy the airport-city day-ticket and the mvv? Do I buy the mvv day ticket from the airport or once I transfer at marienplatz? Is there a 5 day mvv ticket? Or do I must buy it for the day?

I didn't realize how expensive a taxi would cost!

Thank you!

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
38,997 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Airport transfer to apartment near Olympic park

The airport is not that close to Munich.

> Would I need to buy the airport-city day-ticket and the mvv?

No. The Airport-City-Day-Ticket is also a MVV offer. The difference to their normal day ticket is

- that it is already validated with the time of purchase. All other MVV tickets have to be validated (stamped) before first use.

- that you can pay for it at the ticket machines at the airport with credit card. Elsewhere in Munich you cannot pay by credit card for MVV tickets (apart from the MVV customer centers).

MVV tickets cover all means of local public transport: regional trains, S-Bahn, U-Bahn (metro), trams and buses.

There is no 5 days ticket. There is a 3 days ticket - but only for the "inner (MVV) district" (white zone) which is the city of Munich plus a few adjacent villages. Does thus not cover the airport or places like Dachau, Freising, Erding or Andechs.

If you stay 5 days in Munich I guess you'll plan also day trips beyond the MVV area (Neuschwanstein, Garmisch-Partenkirchen, Mittenwald, Oberammergau, Herrernchiemsee, Salzburg, Landshut, Landsberg, Regensburg, Augsburg, ....) For a day trip to these places the best deal is a Bayern Ticket (Bavaria Ticket).

bahn.de/i/…bavaria-ticket.shtml

Bayern Ticket includes however the MVV. No need to pay double.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
38 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Airport transfer to apartment near Olympic park

So once I validate the ticket at the airport , I can use that same ticket to take the U3 ? Is it valid for the rest of the day? Because we are arriving in the morning. So once we drop our luggage off, we are going back to marienplatz. Will I have to buy a mvv ticket? I am not fully clear on this.

Yes, we are going to Salzburg and dachau and the castles (we are going to nwt castle with a tour).

For Salzburg, can I buy the bayern ticket from olympiazentrum stop and use that to go to the main train station to pick up the train to Salzburg?

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
38,997 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Airport transfer to apartment near Olympic park

> So once I validate the ticket at the airport

You don't have to validate a MVV Airport-City-Day-Ticket. Only other MVV tickets.

> I can use that same ticket to take the U3 ?

Yes. Covers as said all means of local public transport.

> Is it valid for the rest of the day? Because we are arriving in the morning. So once we drop our luggage off, we are going back to marienplatz. Will I have to buy a mvv ticket? I am not fully clear on this.

It's a day ticket. MVV day tickets are valid till 6am next day. Thus you can travel to Marienplatz and back on the very same ticket on arrival day.

> For Salzburg, can I buy the bayern ticket from olympiazentrum stop and use that to go to the main train station to pick up the train to Salzburg?

Yes. Best day for a trip would be a Sa or Su as on these days the Bayern Ticket is valid all day. On weekdays only past 9am.

Keep in mind that also the Bayern Ticket is a local public transport ticket. Thus you can only use the RB/RE (from 15. Dec. on: Meridian) trains to Salzburg. Not the EC or railjet trains. And while you can travel to Salzburg Hbf on a Bayern Ticket the ticket does not cover the S-Bahn and buses in Salzburg.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
38 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Airport transfer to apartment near Olympic park

Thank you so much for all your help! We are thinking of doing Salzburg on Sunday but I'm worried that a lot of things will be closed.

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
38,997 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Airport transfer to apartment near Olympic park

Shops will stay closed on Sundays. The shops in the Hauptbahnhof (main train station) and souvenirs shops in the city centre are however open. Sights, museums, restaurants etc. will be open on Sundays.

Rayleigh, United...
Destination Expert
for Seoul, Rothenburg
Level Contributor
12,242 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Airport transfer to apartment near Olympic park

You can also buy Bayernticket from the DB ticket desks at airport for the day you need to use it, and by credit card. So you say Bayern tickrt for tomorrow, for example, in case my explanation wasnt clear. Otherwise you ll need change for Olympiacentrum ticket machine as I dont think they take crddit cards.

Sure abalada will correct if Im wrong.

Edited: 18 November 2013, 09:10
Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
38 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Airport transfer to apartment near Olympic park

Thank you. We arrived in Munich and took the train and switched to the u3 line without a hitch. I was hoping you could help me get BACK to the airport. Our flight to Budapest is at 7 am. Will the trains be running at 4am? What is the best way to get to the airport that early in the morning.