We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Munich shut down for christmas?

Which Munich hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
10 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Munich shut down for christmas?

My family and I will be in Munich from December 23-28

It seems like the whole city is shut down on the 24th and 25th. We don't really observe Christmas...

Is there anything open for tourists to do at all on those days?

Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Munich shut down for christmas?

I lived in Germany and Austria for two years and experienced culture shock during Christmas. It's not the bright lights and Santa fest that we know in America. It seemed to me to be more of a solemn, quiet, holy time. I saw a few trees with white lights dotted throughout the countryside, but that was about it. The Christmas Markets in Nuremburg, Innsbruck, Salzburg, and Munich were fabulous, but don't expect parties and celebrations the week of Christmas. This was just my experience.

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
435 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Munich shut down for christmas?

That sounds amazing! Nice to hear that there are still places that celebrate low key and not the over commercialized nightmare that we have in the US!

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
17,249 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Munich shut down for christmas?

Xmas markets generally close at the end of trading on 23rd, shops close early to mid afternoon 24th and remain closed 26th. You may find some shops open around the Hauptbahnhof but that will be about all. Stock up on the morning of 24th with enough food & drinks for both days

Lots of decorations on shops, public buildings etc and on homes - but really tasteful - white lights etc - and no nodding santas etc. The Grizwalds have yet to cross the Atlantic - thankfully!

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
Level Contributor
13,697 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Munich shut down for christmas?

Christmas is typically celebrated in the family, often enough as the yearly gathering of far-flung family members, typically done at home. If you want to celebrate as tourist, you need to find some very close local friends first who would invite you. The religious content is usually very diminished.

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Level Contributor
13,069 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Munich shut down for christmas?

Hi travelingjew,

You might want to do what I've seen lots of locals do here in Garmisch -- just head out to the countryside and take a nice walk.

The trains will be running on a holiday schedule, so you can easily hop on one and head to Oberammergau, Garmisch, or Mittenwald. You can stroll through the towns and stop at a hotel restaurant for something to eat. Or take a cable car up to a mountain peak where there are skiers, and you'll find the mountaintop restaurants open. Take a walk along a lake (Eibsee or Lautersee), through the countryside, or up a hill. You won't be alone! Most families head out for a walk at some point on 24 and 25 Dec.

Have fun as you plan!

s

Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
5,134 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Munich shut down for christmas?

And when you depend on restaurants for meals, don't forget to book a table!

They will be very busy during the holidays.

7. Re: Munich shut down for christmas?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 November 2014, 05:17