We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Munich - Why should I come to you?

Galveston, Texas
Level Contributor
2,134 posts
89 reviews
Save Topic
Munich - Why should I come to you?

Hi, I was wanting to suprise my mum for her birthday, with a long weekend somewhere. I have some airmiles saved up, and it seems my best choice of cities are Prague, Munich and Zurich. I know she'd be happy anywhere.

Which do you recommend? Come on Munich, sell yourself to me!!

We'd be visiting in February [snow would be nice], safe for two females to walk around, reliant on public transport, preferably though would just walk everywhere, not interested in museums, interested in local food, architectural, scenic walks, observation views/decks, and the things that make that city great.

Does any city have anything special going on? We'd be there around the 20th Feb...

Any particular city which has cheaper hotel rates than others?

Thanks... :)

Mentioned in this post
Prague
Prague
Bohemia, Czech Republic
Munich
Munich
Upper Bavaria, Germany
Zurich
Zurich
Canton of Zurich, Switzerland
sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
19,294 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Munich - Why should I come to you?

sorry ... 'Munich' isn't a member of TA - you have to be a real person for that.

Rayleigh, United...
Destination Expert
for Seoul, Rothenburg
Level Contributor
12,709 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Munich - Why should I come to you?

You re not likely to get much of a comparison, Im afraid.

Personally, I d discount Zuerich as pricey.

Prague is lovely and has good deals.

Munich is probably easier, certainly wholly safe, but may be more expensive.

Mentioned in this post
Prague
Prague
Bohemia, Czech Republic
Munich
Munich
Upper Bavaria, Germany
3. Re: Munich - Why should I come to you?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 January 2014, 15:48
Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Munich, Amsterdam, The Ardennes
Level Contributor
7,972 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Munich - Why should I come to you?

Both Munich and Prague are great choices. Pick the one where you get a good deal on a hotel I would say.

Mentioned in this post
Munich
Munich
Upper Bavaria, Germany
Prague
Prague
Bohemia, Czech Republic
Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
21,410 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Munich - Why should I come to you?

Switzerland is way more expensive (my own very recent experience is of Basel). Prague hotels are going to be cheaper than Munich by quite a bit I would imagine (if you'd asked berlin/prague that might not have been true) . When we went to Munich I got a prepaid deal at the Mercure Altstadt but it was still over120€ a night and that was 4 or 5 years ago. Check out accorhotels.com for their deals.

Another thing in favour of Prague: its being built on hills and with the river in the middle you have lots more changes of perspectives/viewpoints. Apart from that I would say Prague is a lot prettier than Múnich too.

Mentioned in this post
Basel
Basel
Canton of Basel, Switzerland
Prague
Prague
Bohemia, Czech Republic
Munich
Munich
Upper Bavaria, Germany
Hotel Mercure Munich Altstadt
Hotel Mercure Munich...
1,382 Reviews
Munich, Germany
Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
4,713 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Munich - Why should I come to you?

Well, if you don't want to go to Munich, then don't. Why would anyone have to convince you of any of these three cities? Either you want to travel somewhere or you don't.

Mentioned in this post
Munich
Munich
Upper Bavaria, Germany
Somerset,England
Level Contributor
991 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Munich - Why should I come to you?

I am not sure anyone here can speak for you on what you may or may enjoy. All are good cities choose the one with the best deals if you don't know. We love Munich and its people and it wins hands down if you want to use it as a base. Praque has alovely atmosphere and has its castle, Petrin Hill and the Old Town but not a lot else and nothing too much outside but in a weekend that may not be important. I think you need do more research yourself based on what you want to do.

Mentioned in this post
Munich
Munich
Upper Bavaria, Germany
U.K.
Destination Expert
for Belgrade
Level Contributor
14,886 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Munich - Why should I come to you?

I wouldn't put Zurich in the frame at all, expensive and small.

I love Munich but would have to say Prague 1st choice as it has the wow factor and is more picturesque. Downside is that it heaves with tourists all year round but for me it's a must visit once destination and suits winter/snow, charming place when snowing.

Munich I'd perhaps prefer in warm summer days using the parks and beer garden culture, in winter no contest I'd be in Prague. I'd view Munich as more a living city, Prague a visitor attraction in it''s own right.

One consideration that favours Munich is Salzburg, you could do worse than 3 nights in Munich with a day trip to Salzburg by train, Salzburg very small but has that wow factor year round. If you considr that then it's a difficult choice as you get two city experiences both different, would that be better than just Prague is a question only you can answer.

Stoofer

Mentioned in this post
Zurich
Zurich
Canton of Zurich, Switzerland
Munich
Munich
Upper Bavaria, Germany
Prague
Prague
Bohemia, Czech Republic
Salzburg
Salzburg
Salzburg Region, Austria
San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
17,160 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Munich - Why should I come to you?

I love both Munich and Prague. As others have said, Prague will probably be cheaper, Munich is easier. Since you mentioned a long weekend, you probably won't have time to see much of the countryside, but Munich is a great base for day trips, so you could probably fit one or even two in, depending on how long your weekend is. And with the Bayern pass (day pass for regional trains) you can travel around Bavaria for about 25-30 euro per day for the 2 of you.

Mentioned in this post
Munich
Munich
Upper Bavaria, Germany
Prague
Prague
Bohemia, Czech Republic
Bavaria Boutique Hotel
Bavaria Boutique Hotel
898 Reviews
Munich, Germany
Galveston, Texas
Level Contributor
2,134 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Munich - Why should I come to you?

Thanks for all the helpful answers guys, it seems Prague is the prefered choice.

I knew the title of my post, would cause some biteback. I'd love to visit all three cities, and plan to do so. What am I asking is of the ones I've mentioned which is best to visit now, in February time.

Once again, thanks for the help.

Mentioned in this post
Prague
Prague
Bohemia, Czech Republic