We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stops Between Munich and Paris

San Diego...
Level Contributor
53 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Stops Between Munich and Paris

Hello-

I'm looking for an interesting overnight stop between Munich and Paris. I would prefer if the city had direct trains from Munich and to Paris. Any suggestions?

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
38,176 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Stops Between Munich and Paris

> I would prefer if the city had direct trains from Munich and to Paris

Stuttgart has frequent direct trains from Munich and somewhat less frequent direct trains to Paris

http://www.stuttgart-tourist.de/en

Strasbourg has one daily direct train from Munich and frequent direct trains to Paris

http://www.otstrasbourg.fr/?lang=en

Inchicore, Dublin...
Level Contributor
1,093 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Stops Between Munich and Paris

Hi Carolyn,

this sounds like Stuttgart. It is about 2.5 hours away from Munich and 3.5 hours away from Paris. There are several direct trains both from Munich and to Paris. And I like Stuttgart. Just a few threats below I made some proposals for a short stay in Stuttgart. See here: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187291-i826-k7012…

And btw: Stuttgart has got some good restaurants, chilling "Weinstubn" (wine bar) and a good regional cuisine.

Holger

San Diego...
Level Contributor
53 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Stops Between Munich and Paris

Thanks sounds awesome! I appreciate the link to your earlier thread!

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Munich, Amsterdam, The Ardennes
Level Contributor
7,678 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Stops Between Munich and Paris

Strasbourg is much more interesting and beautiful than Stuttgart though....

San Diego...
Level Contributor
53 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Stops Between Munich and Paris

Strasbourg does sound more interesting...but I am concerned about switching trains. Can you suggest the best website to use to look for train tickets? Thanks!!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
9,420 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Stops Between Munich and Paris

@carolyn r

Buy the direct Munich -> Strasbourg ticket from www.bahn.com, depending on when you travel, tickets can be purchased 90 days in advance

Buy Strasbourg to Paris ticket from http://en.voyages-sncf.com/en

(if you decide to stop in Strasbourg, otherwise there is a direct TGV train from Munich to Paris)

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
14,793 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Stops Between Munich and Paris

For the many excellent things to see and do in and around Stuttgart, click on this hot link tripadvisor.com/…49932873 and look what I've written in #1.

And I take exception with the statement "Strasbourg is much more interesting and beautiful than Stuttgart though....", having lived in Stuttgart for over 8 years. It's true that Strasbourg has lots of old buildings in its oldtown, but being beautiful and interesting is more than just that. Strasbourg is flat, Stuttgart sits in a valley surrounded by steep valley sides with vineyards on them. Therefore there are excellent views from almost anywhere, and a scenic walk through the extensive vineyards with panoramic views can never be experienced in Strasbourg. Then there is the world's largest and best automobile museum, one of the finest museums of any type in the world, the Mercedes-Benz one, Stuttgart is after all where the automobile was invented and is still commercialized. Stuttgart has many other excellent attractions such as Europe's largest combination zoo-botanical garden, world-renown ballet, and Germany's by far most honored opera house. As no travel dates were given, perhaps the trip might coincide with one of the excellent special events such as the world's largest Spring beer festival, the world's second largest beer festival which takes place in the Fall, Germany's most attended wine festival, or one of Germany's largest, most visited, and most beautiful Christmas markets. Visiting Europe isn't just about seeing centuries-old buildings, but also experiencing how the present people there live, and Stuttgart is excellent for this in very pleasant surroundings.

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
38,176 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Stops Between Munich and Paris

... and if you want to see old buildings in/near Stuttgart you can travel to Esslingen. 10 minutes by S-Bahn from the Mercedes-Benz Museum. A rather hidden gem (esp. compared to touristy Strasbourg).

…esslingen.de/servlet/PB/show/1459254/Imageb…

As the stopover is less than 48 hours you can buy one discounted special from Munich to Paris. These start from EUR 39. You can buy at earliest 90 days in advance. With the stopover in Stuttgart his works easily, with a stopover in Strasbourg there are few connections discounted specials are offered at all. And these are not the one with the least number of changes.

DB timetable

http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en

Start: München Hbf

Destination: Paris Est

and add Stuttgart or Strasbourg as a stopover with the duration of the stopover given in hh:mm

Via (1): Stuttgart Hbf

Via (2): Strasbourg

You may have to play a bit around with the duration of the stopover until you have the connections you like.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
53 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Stops Between Munich and Paris

Wow so many great suggestions! Thanks everyone.

I greatly appreciate abalada's detailed ticket instructions and explanation of the "stopover".

I am going in May of next year! I will look to buy tickets exactly three months in advance to get the best deals!

Inchicore, Dublin...
Level Contributor
1,093 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Stops Between Munich and Paris

Hi Carolyn,

in the end it is difficult to play off Stuttgart and Strasbourg. Both cities have their advantages.

When you opt for Strasbourg, you will most likely have to change trains in Stuttgart and / or in Karlsruhe (except one connection in the early morning). On the other hand it takes you only a few minutes and if you miss your connecting train, the ticket is automatically valid in the next train. So don't worry too much about this.

I lived in Stuttgart for several years and liked the city very much. But from Stuttgart my wife and I also liked to do daytrips to Strasbourg at the weekend.

Stuttgart certainly is the bigger city and more modern than Strasbourg. Strasbourg is more pitoresque. It will definitely be easier to discover the sights in Strasbourg. You can see the European Parliament for example. You can have a typical french café au lait in front of one of the nice bistros or just walk through the city centre. A boat trip is a convenient way to get around. As it is smaller and more relaxed, it will be easier to get around. The cuisine in Strasbourg is influenced by Germany and France. You will have sausages and Sourkraut as well as French delicatessen, e.g. tarts.

Holger