We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Schwabing questions

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
149 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Schwabing questions

Hi,

We are considering staying in schwabing in December. How far is it to the central train station? Does the metro take u to the station?

Is schwabing a good interesting place to stay for a couple, no kids. We're into seeing the city, visiting the tourist sites, good restaurants. We live in a diverse downtown neighbourhood, so it doesn't have to be upscale.

Thanks!

Mike's Bike Tours
City Tours, Bike Tours, Sightseeing Tours
SANDEMANs NEW Europe - Munich
City Tours, Walking Tours, Beer Tastings & Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Big Hat Tours
Walking Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours
Radius Tours
Historical & Heritage Tours, Day Trips, City Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Equipment Hire
Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
4,867 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Schwabing questions

Depending where in Schwabing you want to stay, you can take the U-Bahn (subway) or bus/ streetcar to the Hauptbahnhof (Central Station). Thus, the required time differs, with the U-Bahn being the quickest.

Part of Schwabing is the artsy section of Munich (north of the University).Good restauranys, museums, pleasant walks in nearby English Gardens.

Anythig along Leopoldstrasse and its immediate side streets (Gisela Strasse,etc). north to Muenchner Freiheit would be along the U-Bahn axis. Check a map of Munich, preferably one with the U-Bahn and streetcar lines to get a sense. Also , get on the Internet and check Verkehrsbertriebe Muenchen for maps and other references.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
149 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Schwabing questions

thank you! the accommodations are in Schwabing West.

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Belgrade
Level Contributor
14,625 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Schwabing questions

Well, I'll bow to local knowlege if I'm wriong but to me Schwabing's glory days are behind it, I've cetainly schlepped around that area a few times and been disappointed. I think much of the 'action' moved to Maxvorstadt or so I was told by my local collegues last visit, that's where I was mostly taken for nights out and it's pretty much walkable from the old town central or easy ubahn anyway.

Especially for a first time visit I'd be wanting to stay in the Aldstadt, dropping into Schwabing will be nice and for the Englishergarten but I'd raher visit from the old town rather than visa versa.

This is just an alternative opinion you may want to research further before setting a 'home' base, nothing wrong with Schwabing but for me it wouldn't be the ideal location.

Stoofer

Edited: 02 December 2013, 07:51
Munich, Germany
Destination Expert
for Munich
Level Contributor
2,981 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Schwabing questions

Schwabing-West is an expression real estate agents thought up to cash in on the fame of Schwabing.

It is nothing like Schwabing, it's just a residential area, with no special good restaurants.

I think what you are looking for is Altstadt or Maxvorstadt.

Altstadt is Munich's historical city centre, Maxvorstadt the area just north of it, just up to the Arch of Triumph.

The Pinakotheken museums are in Maxvorstadt, as are Munich's universities.

Both areas would be within walking distance of the sights and have direct subway connections to the central train station.

Edited: 02 December 2013, 11:40
5. Re: Schwabing questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 December 2014, 05:17