We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Munich - Best Hotels

Newfoundland and...
Level Contributor
1,146 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
Munich - Best Hotels

For a winter break over the holiday (Christmas, New Years), what hotels do you favour out of the list below? Why? If you were going to Munich for the holidays, which would be your top choices?

We arrive mid-morning in Munich exhausted - we want to focus on the Christmas markets and the Residenz and we will take in a concert at St. Micheal's church - we'll stay just one or two nights.

We have a family so it is important to stay in one room and have reasonable access to the Marienplatz and back to the hotel. We also would like a nice hotel with good staff, and nice rooms with cozy bedding and very comfortable beds - we'll need to assure a good night's sleep.

Our on last day before Christmas, we take delivery of a car and drive to Berchesgaden for some time there so we will try to get a very early start in the morning wherever we are staying.

- Aying (Brauereigasthof Hotel)

- Hilton Hotel

- Pullman Hotel

- Mandarin Oriental (boy, it is expensive)

- Bayerischer Hof

- Marriott (a little further out of the centre I think)

- Muenchen Palace

We have availability. Also, I should note we are looking at Aying so we can take delivery of our rental car outside the city (to avoid traffic etc.) and be 1/2 hour closer to Berchesgaden (need to be in Berchesgaden for 11 or 11:30 - we are staying in Ramsau).

Bikes are important - if possible we would like to bike to the Marienplatz once we are in the city so long as it is not 20 or 30 minutes away from us or in dangerous traffic.

At the end of the day, we want to ensure we have not placed ourselves somewhere totally inconvenient. Almost all the hotels in Munich seem to receive decent reviews and especially amongst those above, it can be hard to chose.

Also we should mention we are trying to avoid very high traffic areas - for this reason, we did not chose the Konoegshoff (plus it is the first time to Germany, and we did not like the look of the building exterior - too similar to what we have here at home).

We hope you can reply! Thank you!

Munich, Germany
Destination Expert
for Munich
Level Contributor
2,755 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Munich - Best Hotels

First group:

- Mandarin Oriental

- Bayerischer Hof

Both are in the historical old city and within walking distance of all the sights.

What about the Platzl Hotel?

Second choice:

- CITY Hilton Hotel on Rosenheimer Str.

Do not choose the Park Hilton, that one is much more inaccessible.

The City Hilton is 2 S-Bahn stops (3 minutes) from Marienplatz. It is located above the underground S-Bahn station.

Third choice:

- Pullman

- Marriott

Located in a business district, not much infrastructure, i.e. shops or restaurants nearby, but a direct subway line to Marienplatz (10 minutes).

Aying is nice, but I wouldn't stay there in winter. Country life pretty much shuts down in winter.

The Palace on Troger Str. doesn't have a good connection to Marienplatz, it's really only convenient for treatment at the university hospital, also located on Troger Str.

Edited: 13 December 2013, 21:06
Newfoundland and...
Level Contributor
1,146 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Munich - Best Hotels

Thanks Panda! I think the Hilton I was looking at WAS the Park Hilton - by the English Garden, right? I

So we'll stay away from the Hilton - we prefer a smaller hotel feel and it looks huge as well. What do you know about the Pullman and the Marriott in terms of quality of the building and rooms, and the service? We would prefer Pullman to the US-owned chain Marriott while visiting abroad but we are not sure how it compares to other hotels in terms of comfort and quality.

Sounds like Muenchen Palace is also not very conveniently located - we heard we could ride bikes from there to the Marienplatz in about 10 or 15 minutes though - and walk 30 minutes - does this sound right?

What about the quality of the Hotel Muenchen Palace?

You raise a good point about Aying - but we would just take the ride there to drop our luggage from the airport, and then had to the city Marienplatz by train to spend the day - we would take the train back sometime after our dinner to sit by the fire - does this make a difference?

Our problem is that we are a family of four - we try hard to stay in one room when traveling so far from home but so many of the centrally located hotels will not let us do this - we want to be together on the holiday, but they will make us take two separate rooms - this defeats the point of the holiday to some extent and it is very expensive. Finding a hotel that has rooms which work for families helps out.

Mandarin Oriental, Bayerischer, and the Palace Hotel, will all put us into to separate rooms - we would have like to stay at the Platzl but they booked up so early on it was impossible. This is why we looked at Aying, the Hilton, and the Pullman. What do you think?

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
17,958 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Munich - Best Hotels

I wouldn't try to bike into Marienplatz - it will be full of people and trying to ride/wheel through that will be a nightmare for a tourist. (we arrived 28th Dec last year and just trying to walk was hard enough) Catch the train/tram or if you are close enough just walk. Taking bikes also means you have to park it somewhere while you shop/go into things or someone needs to stay and mind them -I know there are millions of cyclists in Munich (and Germany as a whole) but I just think it would be a hassle

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
3,926 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Munich - Best Hotels

Well, I think the Mandarin Oriental is a bit hard to find. It's somewhere in a side street, but you have to be sure which one - I always walk past it.

Bayerischer Hof is extremely easy to find, though. You just walk North from Marienplatz until you reach the tram tracks, then follow these tracks to your left. The tram goes right by Bayerischer Hof.

The Hilton is very conveniently located as well, as it's right next to the S-Bahn station. But it's not really within walking distance to the pedestrian area. I mean, you can walk it, but it will take you about 15-20 minutes.

It is safe to start bicycle trips from all three of these hotels. Bayerischer Hof is just one street away from the pedestrian area, the same goes for Mandarin Oriental. (Bicycles are permitted in the pedestrian area.) And Rosenheimer Str. has a cycle path. But it's not quite as convenient as the other two, as you'd have to cross the Altstadtring and navigate "Am Tal", both major streets. There is a cycle path, but you need to know what you're doing and I wouldn't recommend this route with young children.

I'm not sure where all of the other hotels are.

Munich, Germany
Destination Expert
for Munich
Level Contributor
2,755 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Munich - Best Hotels

Both the Marriott and Pullmann are exactly those big business hotels that you are trying to avoid.

Though as a plus, the Pullmann has recently been renovated.

The City Hilton is in a much more useful area, just 200m from the Haidhausen Christmas Market, directly on top of the S-Bahn stop (direct line to the airport) and in an area with shops (also a small mall across the streets with some supermarkets) and restaurants and cafés.

There are two other hotels at Rosenheimer Platz that allow you to stay in a room with your kids:

- Holiday Inn: a high-rise concrete monstrosity from the 70s, but with large rooms

- Novotel City Munich: built in the 90s, not more than 4 floors, 2 kids up to 16 stay free in parents' room, free breakfast for said kids.

All are located at "Rosenheimer Platz", if you look in my maps with recommendations for:

- restaurants: http://tinurl.com/munich-restaurants

- cafés: http://tinurl.com/munich-cafes

you will see quite a few around "Rosenheimer Platz"

With kids, I would stay at one of the 3 hotels around Rosenheimer Platz, or directly in the historical city centre.

Another alternative would be the Motel One Sendlinger Tor in the historical city centre, though they will put you in two rooms, since a room costs 99€ including breakfast, that would still cost you under 200€ for your family: motel-one.com/en/…

An easily accessible room to warm up in between sightseeing excursions is invaluable in winter.

I would lose a star for the location and also look at 3-star hotels in the historical city centre with 4-bed rooms, see here: tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g187309-i118-k69…

The Brauereigasthof Aying is located 800m from the S-Bahn stop, so it's quite a hike.

The S-Bahn train only runs twice an hour, at 11 minutes and 31 minutes past the hour, and the S-Bahn journey itself from the S-Bahn stop to Marienplatz would take 40 minutes.

If you are an Olympic walker, then the Palace is 30 minutes on foot from Marienplatz.

For normal mortals it is a 20 minute bus ride to Odeonsplatz, which is about 400m from Marienplatz. The no.100 bus line stops near the hotel, and that would be the easiest way into the centre.

Regarding biking, Bavaria may not be Canada, but we do get snow now and then during winter and if there should be snow during your stay: biking on icy streets is no fun and can be quite dangerous.

Edited: 14 December 2013, 09:27
Munich, Germany
Destination Expert
for Munich
Level Contributor
2,755 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Munich - Best Hotels

By the way, Tripadvisor automatically linked to another Holiday Inn, the reviews for the one I was describing can be found here: tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g187309-d1996…

Map of Munich public transport lines: http://tinyurl.com/munich-metro

Newfoundland and...
Level Contributor
1,146 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Munich - Best Hotels

Panda you are veritable travel guide - thank you for your excellent and very specific trips on all my posts. I'm still looking up your recommendations but you are right - I favour the smaller, boutique style hotels run by families etc. (this is part of what drew me to the hotel in Aying - as well as its star rating, fireplace, and Bavarian style).

I like the old building that the M. Oriental is in but I don't like being separated from the family. I will check out the hotels and your links (I think your cafe and restaurant recommendations will be a great help) and then see what I can do.

For now, I think we'll scrap the Marriott and both Hiltons. If we stay out of the centre, it will be at the Pullman (though I wish it were a smaller, historical building like the Mandarin). If we stay near the Marienplatz, it will be MO or BH.

I'm still having trouble dropping Aying from the list just because it looks so nice - I wish it was in Munich! Great rooms, nice fireplace/warm sitting area, good restaurant, cozy, fireplace in room and the whole family together - but clearly, it is not particularly practical in that things might look like this:

- arrive Munich in the morning

- go from the airport to Aying to drop our luggage (and maybe having a small lunch or refreshment)

- bus or train to Munich Marienplatz to spend the day there

- return and have dinner in Aying (to bed early)

- up next day to go to Munich for full day, plus dinner, then return to Aying to overnight one more night

- up early and drive from Aying to Berchestgaden (instead of driving there from Munich City Centre)

This seems to be the best way to manage everything out of Aying. It would be easier to stay in the city centre with the only complication being the family room issue and where to stay (plus leaving for Berchestgaden from city centre).

Thanks!

8. Re: Munich - Best Hotels

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 December 2014, 05:18