We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Breakfast and Lunch Stops on a long drive in German Autobahn

Which Munich hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Zurich
4 posts
Save Topic
Breakfast and Lunch Stops on a long drive in German Autobahn

We are driving from Zurich to Berlin with three under 5s :). We are planning 2 one hour stops one around Stuttgart and one around Nurnberg. We are open to smaller towns closer to Leipzig if there are good meal options and a big detour (adding to travel time) is not needed. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
17,448 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Breakfast and Lunch Stops on a long drive in German Autobahn

I have found it a good idea to go to google earth and to follow the route. you will see restaurants indicated, and you can then choose where you want to stop.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
14,464 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Breakfast and Lunch Stops on a long drive in German Autobahn

It's not right off the autobahn, but for a stop by Stuttgart, I would leave the autobahn at Herrenberg for Tuebingen, probably about 12-15 minutes east along the highway is a former Cistercian monastery farm, Schwarzloch, on your right. Perhaps your children would enjoy the farm animals and peacocks, and you can eat in the former chapel for a lovely ambiance. Their Maultaschen is one of the best I've eaten, and I've had plenty of them, and for the nondriver a Mostbowle (hard cider with soda water and a slice of lemon) is excellent. I'm sure that you won't find anyplace else with such good food and a lovely setting. Perhaps Google it for precise directions as it won't be obvious from the highway as there are no signs for it (the farm can be seen on the hillside to the right), and if in doubt, just ask a local. You won't eat better elsewhere on your trip.

Edited: 24 December 2013, 21:45
Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
14,464 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Breakfast and Lunch Stops on a long drive in German Autobahn

If that's a breakfast stop, they won't be open, I was thinking lunch.

Bautzen, Germany
Level Contributor
814 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Breakfast and Lunch Stops on a long drive in German Autobahn

>>>We are open to smaller towns closer to Leipzig if there are good meal options and a big detour (adding to travel time) is not needed.<<<

Close to Leipzig and the Autobahn (15min) is Naumburg, a preserved town with a beautiful town square and a famous Gothic cathedral. On the town square and between the square and the cathedral are several restaurants and cafes, often in centuries-old buildings.

And not really near Leipzig but halfway between Leipzig and Nuremberg is Burgk castle, a nice medieval castle with a restaurant above the romantic Saale valley. The castle is just 6 or 7km away from the Autobahn and probably more intersting to kids than a small town. Have a look at the pics:

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schloss_Burgk

5. Re: Breakfast and Lunch Stops on a long drive in German Autobahn

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 December 2014, 05:16