We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staying outside of Munich

Which Munich hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Webb City, Missouri
Level Contributor
92 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Staying outside of Munich

My wife and I will be coming to Munich in early May. In our research, hotels are quite expensive in Munich so far. We are going to have to fly into Frankfurt and probably take a car down to Munich. I know staying in Munich, not only is expensive, but the parking isn't that great. Thus, I thought it might be well for us to stay outside Munich in a smaller town to help with that. Cheaper prices and parking not so bad. Plus, having a car would give us more opportunities to go out and do what we want outside of Munich better than having to pay for a tour group. So, what I need to find, and if you ever would be so kind to help me locate it, is a town not too far from Munich but far enough that it would be cheaper hotels and better parking that could connect into Munich by public transportaion that is relatively easy to navigate. I do appreciate your time and consideration ! Thank you.

1. Re: Staying outside of Munich

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 January 2014, 15:47
Webb City, Missouri
Level Contributor
92 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Staying outside of Munich

Is there a list of towns near the U-Bahn or S-Bahn outside Munich that I can look at? Thank you.

Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
4,867 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Staying outside of Munich

You might enjoy Prien am Chiemsee. It has some nice hotels right at the lake, is one hour by train from Munich and Salzburg (both not too parking friendly), and is the jumping off point for visiting the Herrenchiemsee Island with King Ludwig's Palace. There are also some other nice places to visit along the lake, and south into the mountains, like Aschau, Reit im Winkl. The latter is the eastern terminus of the Deutsche Alpenstrasse (German Alpine Highway) section to Berchtesgaden.. Higher priced Hotel at the lake is the Yachthotel, lower priced Hotel Luitpold am See and a couple of others. There are also some appartment rentals and B&B's (Pensionen) near the lake. Contact the Prien Kurverwaltung (they have a website) , they can help you with reservations..

Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
4,867 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Staying outside of Munich

CORRECTION: : Reit im Winkl is the WESTERN terminal of that section of the Alpenstrasse. Besides, it is truly a picture postcard Bavarian mountain village. Another good value lodging is in Unterwoessen, between the Munich - Salzburg Auytobahn (20km) , Prien (about 30km) and Reit (12km). There, I like the Hotel Astrid. This is a smallish, well run, family owned hotel, good kitchen, very comfortabel, but no pool. There is a nearby swimming lake. They do speak fairly good English. Unterwoessen has few tourist faciliteis, Besides its pretty location, its main claim to fame is the Alpine Glider School, which also offers rides. .

Gambrills, MD
Destination Expert
for Fussen
Level Contributor
3,000 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Staying outside of Munich

You might also consider the Best Western in Erding, near the Munich airport and almost directly across the street from the S-bahn into Munich. Erding is a nice little town, with a walkable old section, a brewery and supposedly the largest thermal spa in Europe.

…bestwestern.com/bestwestern/…

Reit im Winkl is gorgeous, absolutely one of the most beautiful places I've ever been.

Inchicore, Dublin...
Level Contributor
975 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Staying outside of Munich

Cities of my choice around Munich would be

Dachau, Freising, Erding, Fürstenfeldbruck (in that order).

Starnberg is also ok but expensive

But as long as you are close to an S - Bahn you have a connection to Munich every 20mins. Haar or Vaterstetten have several hotels. When you opt for the South or South -East you can travel to the Alps easier - like Gauting, Tutzing or Wolfratshausen. Just look at the map and check the travel times at www.bahn.com

If you don't want to go intown that often and not stay in the city in the evenings, you can also think about a village with a station outside the S-bahn area. You would still have hourly connections. Benediktbeuern for example is a quiet charming village with an abbey, several Gasthäuser ( = B&B), restaurants and only an hour ride away from Munich.

Holger

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
232 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Staying outside of Munich

We stayed at Hotel Laimer Hof the address is Municg but it is not central very close to S-Bahn and parking was free at the Hotel. Not sure what you consider expensivve or cheap but we felt like it was a great Hotel for the price. We enjoyed out stay there, very helpful staff and it had Breakfast Buffet included.

Chula Vista...
Level Contributor
2,617 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Staying outside of Munich

Here's a map of the Munich S-bahn and U-bahn network:

mvv-muenchen.de/fileadmin/media/Dateien/plae…

You can look at city names and start your research from there.

Zed

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
2,754 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Staying outside of Munich

You havent mentioned your budget or what you consider expensive.

If you are still open to staying in Munich then I can only recommend Hotel am Ostpark. http://www.ostparkhotel.de/

Its a family ran private hotel and unlike the chains they have fixed prices that only vary for large trade fairs and the Oktoberfest, so youre looking at 100 or 110 a night at weekend or weekday respectively.

Location is a 5minute walk from the U5 which gets you to the city centre in less than 10 minutes and trains are every 10 minutes from about 6am till after midnight. And all importantly parking on the street by the hotel is free. If you decide to take the train to Salzburg (which avoids the holiday traffic jams and any parking costs in Salzburg, and the 9euro toll road sticker for Austrian motorways) then you are only 5minutes from Ostbahnhof.

Theres obviously lots of other places that offer value and are really convienent to both public transport and the roads network.

Leo Motel by Moosach station is one. - I see double rooms for 50 or 60 euro a night plus 10 for parking.

http://www.letomotel.de/

Maybe even handier is the b+b hotel Munich North which is is just off the A9 Autobahn from Frankfurt, has free parking and is a 5minute walk from the U6 to the city centre. For day trips you are back on the autobahn and on the ring road autobahn toward Salzburg or the castles in less than a couple of minutes. Room prices are in the same ballpark as the Leo Hotel

http://www.hotelbb.de/de/muenchen-nord

10. Re: Staying outside of Munich

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 January 2015, 06:19