We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trains Munich Bavaria Salzburg Hallstatt

Bromilee
Level Contributor
57 posts
80 reviews
Save Topic
Trains Munich Bavaria Salzburg Hallstatt

Hi,

In June we are flying into Munich for 1 week. In that week we plan the following -

Day 1 Munich

Day 2 Day trip to Fussen (Castles), return to Munich for the night

Day 3 Day trip Rothenburg, return to Munich for the night

Day 4 Train to Hallstatt Austria via Salzburg

Day 5 Hallstatt

Day 6 Train back to Salzburg for one night

Day 7 Possibly one more night in Salzburg or travel back to Munich for a 4th night

Day 8 fly home

After looking at average weather conditions for each place, it concerns me that Hallstatt sees a lot of rain in the summer months and in all honestly i'm not sure i would like to spend 2 days of my summer holiday under an umbrella, especially in Hallstatt where most enjoyment is found outdoors.

My question is about trains. (Considering i will be needing to use the train to get from Munich airport to Munich and back. I will probably using the train/tram to travel around Munich. Train from Munich - Hallstatt. Train Hallstatt to Salzburg and finally Salzburg to Munich and on to the airport).

Is there a ticket we can buy that will cover all the above for both countries every day or will it be best to buy separately for each destination?Should i purchase tickets in advance or at the time?

If the weather turns out to be miserable in Hallstatt, i want to be able to change our plans last minute and head somewhere else so don't really want to suffer any huge losses in travel costs?

Thanks in advance.

Columbia, Missouri
Level Contributor
2,187 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trains Munich Bavaria Salzburg Hallstatt

Bromilee, what I would do is drop Hallstatt from your trip, for a couple reasons.

1. The way you have it now, you are trying to see 5 cities in 7 days. Dropping 1 city would help.

2. If you dropped Hallstatt, you can use the Bayern Ticket to get to all your other destinations. This would be purchased on the day of travel at the station and it will cost 23 Euro for the 1st person and 4 Euro more for each person after that (up to 5 people total). This does include Salzburg, even though it is not in the State of Bavaria, it does not include hallstatt. bahn.de/i/…bavaria-ticket.shtml

3. As you have it now, you only have 1 day for Munich, which would barely scratch the surface, unless you have been there before or don’t care to see it.

So maybe something like;

Day 1 Munich

Day 2 Day trip to Fussen (Castles), return to Munich for the night

Day 3 Munich (maybe Dachau ½ day, it’s very close)

Day 4 Day trip Rothenburg, return to Munich for the night

Day 5 Early train to Salzburg

Day 6 Salzburg (maybe ½ day to Berchtesgaden, it’s very close)

Day 7 Train to Munich

Day 8 fly home

What do you think?

San Jose, CA
Destination Expert
for Wengen, Jungfrau Region
Level Contributor
2,635 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trains Munich Bavaria Salzburg Hallstatt

I agree with previous poster that you are really shortchanging Munich. Have you been there before? I find it to be one of the most pleasant and interesting cities in the world. You can easily stay there at least a week and be very entertained.

If you have not spent much time in Munich before I would drop Rothenberg as well as Halstatt.

Bromilee
Level Contributor
57 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trains Munich Bavaria Salzburg Hallstatt

Thanks for the info.

Does that €23 ticket cover all days or per day?

We don't really want to stay in cities the whole time. We really want to experience the mountains and lakes Somewhere breathtaking where we can relax. Walk. Bike ride.

Munich was just a base to see the sites. We love old romantic towns. Castles. Countryside. We prefer the cities for nightlife.

Can you suggest an alternative to Hallstatt?

Thanks

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Belgrade
Level Contributor
14,296 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Trains Munich Bavaria Salzburg Hallstatt

Hmm, difficult, I agree and disagree with the first two posts in that I'd say don't stay in Halstatt but do visit because it's wonderful. Difficult to miss places you want to see as may never come again.

You do need at least a day more in Munich, I think a compromise is best, visit Hallstatt as an easy day trip from Salzburg. You could go bus from Salzburg to St Gilgen, take the ferry ride to the St Wolfgang and back, then the bus to Bad Ischl, train to Hallstatt. Return to SAlzburg for the evening, it sounds like a lot but these are not great distances, it would be a very nice day out and very workable..

I recommend that as not staying in Halstatt and not having 2 days there will gain you valuable time to see Munich, just swop sleeping in Halstatt to Salzburg extra night and the considered extra night in Salzburg should be Munich. Halstatt is wonderful but outside of relaxing and taking in the views, 3 hours is sufficient time to take it in and move on, you'll gain 1/2 day seeing Wolfgangsee as you pass enroute enroute

back to or fropm Salzburg and yu'll gain a day to see Munich properly..

Stoofer

Edit P.S

Just saw your response, consider St Gilgen as a place to stay instead of SAlzburg, look it up on google, it's lovely and a great base, 45 mins bus ride.,

Edited: 17 January 2014, 17:12
Chula Vista...
Level Contributor
2,617 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trains Munich Bavaria Salzburg Hallstatt

Hi,

The 23 € Bayern Ticket is a day pass that's good for unlimited travel on the trains, subways, street trams, and buses in Bavaria for that day. So you would have to buy a Bayern Ticket each travel day.

The good thing about Bayern Tickets is that no reservations are required. Just show up at the station, buy your ticket(s) and go. The one drawback to a Bayern ticket is that you can only ride regional trains, and it must be after 9 AM on weekdays (anytime on weekends). (On weekdays, the ticket is valid until 3:00 AM the following day, giving you 18 hours in the day to travel. On weekends, the tickets are valid all day.)

bahn.de/i/…bavaria-ticket.shtml

Zed

Bad Ischl, Austria
Level Contributor
3,690 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trains Munich Bavaria Salzburg Hallstatt

Salzburg to Hallstatt and back is 5 hours using public transport. Agree you could combine with lake Wolfgang. But get to Hallstatt early then back to Bad Ischl. Then bus to Strobl. At Strobl catch boat to St Gilgen. From St Gilgen bus back to Salzburg. Hallstatt is best seen in the morning before sun drops behind mountain. Don't skimp on time spent in Munich. Its an amazing City.

Inchicore, Dublin...
Level Contributor
995 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Trains Munich Bavaria Salzburg Hallstatt

Bromilee,

just some thoughts:

For me it would be too much travelling. I was in the States over Christmas and after 8 days in NYC I went to DC, hired a car and travelled back via Philly to BOS. While NYC was great the rest was already too much traveltime for me, loosing 1,5 days in the car. I would choose max. two bases for your 8 days and restrict yourself on these points and the region around.

That saying I would most likely delete Rothenburg from the to-do-list. By train it is a 2 x 3.5 hour ride in a stop train with to changeovers and this definitely is not everybody's cup of tea. By car or coach it is easier, but still a lot to drive. Sorry for my ignorance, but Rothenburg must do a lot of marketing, as I really don't understand why this town is a must-have.

I like your idea to stay in the city for the nightlife, hence why don't you just stay in Salzburg and do trips from there, as Hallstatt is picturesque but not really big. From Salzburg you can then do daytrips to Hallstatt, Königssee...If you only want to restrict yourself on the region around Hallstatt for walks, cycling etc., Bad Goisern or Bad Ischl wouldn't be too small with 10k inhabitants each and have at least a selection of restaurants.

BTW on the way from Munich to Salzburg you pass the Chiemsee, where you have a castle on Herrenchiemsee and an abbey on Frauenchiemsee

Holger

8. Re: Trains Munich Bavaria Salzburg Hallstatt

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 January 2015, 06:18