We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Does this Itinerary make sense for Family of 4?

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
1,012 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Does this Itinerary make sense for Family of 4?

Hello.

Family of 4 (with 2 pre-teens).

We will be visiting Germany and vicinity this summer from August 8 - Aug 26.

We will arrive in Munich on Aug 8.

Please advise of the below itinerary:

From Aug 8 - Aug 14 to visit Munich and vicinity with Day trips to Nurember and Lower Bavaria Also visit:

- the Nynphenburg palace

- Neuschwanstein castle (fairy- tale disney castle)

- Herrenchiemsee

- Garmisch- Partenkirchen

- Regensburg

- Romantic Road

Augsburg, etc ...

From Aug 14-Aug 16: Visit Berlin and must-see/do attracftions

From Aug 16 - Aug 19: Visit Prague

From Aug 19- Aug 23 : Visit Vienna (incl a day trip to Budapest)

From Aug 23- Aug 25: Visit Saltzburg and vicinities

Aug 25: Head back to Munich

Aug 26: Head back to the USA

Please advise if this makes sense to split our time that way or should we re-arrange.

Many thanks for all your feedback and suggestions.

Karlsruhe, Germany
Destination Expert
for Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
10,322 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Does this Itinerary make sense for Family of 4?

Fasr too much, I'm afraid.

Your schedule for Munich, where you have five full days, consists of seven or eight separate day trips plus the attractions in Munich.

In Berlin you have one single full day, most people opt for a minimum of four or five full days.

You will have to make choices. Cutting out Berlin, which is far out of your way, and adding this time to Munich/Bavaria would solve some problems.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
1,012 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Does this Itinerary make sense for Family of 4?

So if we cut out Berlin, how would you re-arrange this itinerary?

Thanks so much for all your feedback.

Mainz, Germany
Level Contributor
9,254 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Does this Itinerary make sense for Family of 4?

Since you have so many day-trip destinations in the Alps on your list, why not get out of the city for a couple days to a neat place like Bad Tölz or Tegernsee or Schliersee and enjoy the Bavarian countryside closer to mountains, lakes and castles/palaces? I'm sure your kids would love it.

Without Berlin (agree that it is a good idea to leave it out since it is so far off your route) you could turn the itinerary around: Munich - Alps - Salzburg - Vienna - Prague - Nuremberg or Regensburg - Munich would make a perfect circle trip.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
1,012 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Does this Itinerary make sense for Family of 4?

excellent...

Would a day trip to Budapest from Vienna, as outlined in my original post, be doable or do we need to spend 1 night in Budapest?

Thanks for all your feedback.

Pine Island...
Level Contributor
94 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Does this Itinerary make sense for Family of 4?

A day trip to Budapest is not near long enough, and I think 1 night is too short. I would allow at least 2 nights for Budapest, 3 would be better. Way too much to see to only spend a few hours.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
1,012 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Does this Itinerary make sense for Family of 4?

Great.

So does this itinerary makes sense?:

From Aug 8-Aug 14 : Munich & Bavaria areas

From Aug 14 - Aug 16: Saltzburg

From Aug 16-Aug 20: Vienna

From Aug 20-Aug 22 : Budapest

From Aug 22-Aug 25: Prague

Aug 25-Aug 26: back to Munich for 1 night

Aug 26: Back in the USA

Appreciate your feedback and suggestions on the above.

Many thanks and advise.

7. Re: Does this Itinerary make sense for Family of 4?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 August 2014, 02:24
Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
1,012 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Does this Itinerary make sense for Family of 4?

So, does the last itinerary make sense, in terms of enough time in Munich to also do day trips, do the Romantic Road, visit lower Bavaria and castles, Augsburg, Rothenburg, Fussen, GP, Mittenwald and Salzburg?

Does it make sense to stay overnight in Salzburg or just a day trip will do?

What about Budapest? Does it fit in on this itinerary (from Vienna)?

Thanks for all your feedback and suggestions.

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
443 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Does this Itinerary make sense for Family of 4?

I think that you're really close to a perfect itinerary there, but I will give you my suggestions for what they are worth...

I think you may be well served to get 1 more night in Prague. It is simply one of the most beautiful places on earth and I think there is also a decent amount of things for your kids to do.

I think there are a few legitimate ways to get that extra night without sacrificing too much elsewhere:

1) If you haven't already booked your flights, consider flying back from Prague instead of returning to Munich just for that flight home. It may actually be cheaper this way as flying in and out of Germany is often $100-$200 more expensive than incorporating Prague, Budapest, Copenhagen or Stockholm into your plans.

2) If option #1 above doesn't work out, I recommend cutting a night from either Salzburg or Vienna... probably Salzburg. It's a very small town/area, and it seems as though you're not even 100% to stay overnight there. I actually would recommend staying the 1 night because if you just to a partial day trip there, you will usually miss some of the most enchanting time that occurs about 1 hour before to 1 hour after sunset. This is especially true of cities with a river running through them or a lot of water (like Stockholm for instance) and I think also fits the bill for Salzburg. While it would be nice during the day there's nothing quite like the cool vibe a city can give off during that time so would be a pity to miss that IMO.

The rest of your night allocations make a lot of sense to me... the most nights in Munich because you have a lot of great day trip plans from that base seems perfect. Budapest is great but I think 2 nights is perfect there... that allows 1 full day for the amazing Buda side of the Danube and then another day for the Pest side & probably something else like maybe a short excursion to somewhere on the outskirts of the city or perhaps to Margaret Island if you want to incorporate a bit of nature into your time there.

One final suggestion would be a day trip to Bratislava from Vienna (mainly if you decide to keep your 4 nights there). Or you could even take that 4th night and actually stay there as it's right on the route to Budapest anyway.

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
232 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Does this Itinerary make sense for Family of 4?

just a question are you planning on takinga train or are you renting a car?? IF you are renting a car in Germany you will NOT be able to take it to Prague or Budapest - all the rental car agency I have used in Germany do not allow their cars to go into the former Eastern Europe