We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help deciding where to stay in Bavaria with 2 five year olds

Which Munich hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Boston...
10 posts
Save Topic
Help deciding where to stay in Bavaria with 2 five year olds

Hi there,

We will be heading to Bavaria in early July for 10 days. We are an active family (walking, biking,swimming) that likes to balance fun with relaxation (cafes, nice food, naps).

I think we'll fly into Munich and stay there for a few days and then we'll head towards the alps for the rest of the time. I can't figure out whether to stay around Oberammergau/Mittenwald for a few days and then head toward Berechtsgaden for the rest of the time? Ideally, we'd like to stay in or near villages that have bakeries, cafes, swimming etc.

Or should we rent a house somewhere in between and make lots of day trips?

Thank you in advance for any suggestions, I'm quite stuck!

Edited: 02 February 2014, 22:16
Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
4,867 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Help deciding where to stay in Bavaria with 2 five year olds

Look up Ben's Bauernhof on the Internet for a listing of farm stays.

Dublin, Ireland
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Help deciding where to stay in Bavaria with 2 five year olds

You might be better to base yourselves in a bigger resort like Garmisch-Partenkirchen. It's on a direct rail line to Munich and has all the facilities you'd expect in such a place. Plus it has some top-notch attractions like the Zugspitze cable car/train/Eibsee/ spectacular hikes/outdoor swimming pools etc. Mittenwald and Oberammergau are just short journeys from Garmisch. They are indeed lovely places but maybe more suitable for day trips. Of course if you have a car you can stay pretty much where you like. Berchtesgaden is spectacular, plenty to see and do and is also within easy reach of Salzburg (approx 40 mins by regular buses).

Gambrills, MD
Destination Expert
for Fussen
Level Contributor
3,022 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help deciding where to stay in Bavaria with 2 five year olds

If you're going to have a car, you might want to think about the village of Reit-im-Winkl, south of Munich on the border with Austria. We stayed there at a farm called the Demelhof, and it was simply one of the most beautiful places I've ever been. Farm vacations are popular in Bavaria, with either rented rooms or furnished apartments, and are very family-friendly, with toys, little playgrounds and of course farm animals. Here's the website for the Demelhof and another for farms in Bavaria. Ben's as mentioned in the earlier post is a great resource too.

www.demelhof.de/index.php…

http://english.bauernhof-urlaub.com/

Boston...
10 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Help deciding where to stay in Bavaria with 2 five year olds

Thanks so much for your suggestions. It's so hard to choose and having never been it's very hard to gauge how long travel will actually take. My fear with Garm-Part is that it will be extremely crowded in July. I was thinking Mittenwald might provide the best of both worlds between a bit of fun and some peace..

Thanks again.

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
37,142 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Help deciding where to stay in Bavaria with 2 five year olds

Murnau would be also an option as base town in the Werdenfels region (Oberammergau, Ga-Pa, Mittenwald).

www.murnau.de/en/information-on-murnau-1_p2

A central base for both the Werdenfelser Land and the Berchtesgadener Land is not practical. The travel times would be too long.

http://www.berchtesgadener-land.info

greeley, CO
Level Contributor
2,546 posts
399 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help deciding where to stay in Bavaria with 2 five year olds

Check out this area

http://www.alpenwelt-karwendel.de/en

Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
4,867 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Help deciding where to stay in Bavaria with 2 five year olds

I agree with emily'smom about Reit im Winkl. It's about 65 minutes by car from Prien, where the boats take off to King Ludwig''s Palace Herrenchiemsee. The boat ride and the island is fun for the kids.. There is an old steam train from the Prien Bundesbahn station station to the boat landing. It's called the Chimseebahn. Car parking close to where the Chiemseebahn leaves. Berchtesgaden with Koenigsee electric boats, Jenner gondola lift andthe salt mine (our kids loved the giant wooden slide) is about 1 hour from Reit. 12km from Reit,between Chiemsee lake and Reit lies Unterwoessen with its Alpline Glider School. Great fun for kids .to watch the gliders take off. Also, between Unterwoessen and Prie3n is the Reiterhof, where the kids can ride horses.

Boston...
10 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Help deciding where to stay in Bavaria with 2 five year olds

Thanks for your input! question for you: why not just stay at Chimsee? why does Winkl make a good base?

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
37,142 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Help deciding where to stay in Bavaria with 2 five year olds

None of the places more or less deep in the Alps are a good base if you plan longer day trips. In this case Chiemsee with the close by autobahn A8 running in east-west direction is the better base. The valleys in the Alps in this area are nearly all in north-south direction and often dead end southbound.

Boston...
10 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Help deciding where to stay in Bavaria with 2 five year olds

thank you very much!