We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip to Neuschwanstein Castle.. Suggestion please!!

Pleasanton...
Level Contributor
448 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Day trip to Neuschwanstein Castle.. Suggestion please!!

Hello Munich Expert,

I am planning to visit Munich this summer and would like to spend a day visiting Neuschwanstein Castle. Is this something feasible?

Should I go there by myself via the train and public transportation? Or should I join the local tour instead?

Need advice about this day trip (if possible).

Thanks.

San Jose, CA
Destination Expert
for Wengen, Jungfrau Region
Level Contributor
2,636 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trip to Neuschwanstein Castle.. Suggestion please!!

>Is this something feasible?<

Absolutely.

>Should I go there by myself via the train and public transportation? Or should I join the local tour instead?<

Easy to do yourself and more flexibility that way.

Tips:

Neuschwanstein and Hohenschwangau castles are located near Füssen. It takes about 2.5 hours each way (train or car) to get there from Munich but it’s worth it if you are into castles. However, know that the guided tours (the only way you can get inside the castles) are only 35 minutes long so you spend a long time getting there and back for a short tour. However, you can spend as long as you like outside and looking at the pretty countryside.

There are numerous fully guided tours (using either bus or train transport) to the castles at Füssen but you can easily do the trip yourself if you are so inclined. It is less expensive and I prefer it as there is less “herding about”. The only trick is that you MUST make castle entrance reservations in advance. You can do this on-line at www.ticket-center-hohenschwangau.de. There is an English verison of the website and they make it all very simple. Castle tour tickets are for specific tour departure times; if you miss your departure time you are simply out of luck. For this reason, they require that you pick up your tickets no later than one hour in advance of departure time from the ticket window (more on this below) or they will cancel your reservation. Picking up your tickets early is no big deal as there are a number of nice places to have lunch right there in the area.

To get there, take the train from Munich main station to Füssen. Trains depart hourly at 0:51 and take two hours.

Busses from Füssen to Hohenschwangau (where the castles are located) depart right from the train station and leave every 30 minutes at :05 and :30/:35 and take 8 minutes. Take either bus #73 or #78, check numbers as others take an opposite loop and take 28 mins to get to Hohenschwangau. Then it is slight uphill short walk to the Ticket Office, the signs are very easy follow.

The bus #11 to Neuschwanstein departs at the end of the main street at Hohenschwangau and arrives near Marienbrücke. It is a short downhill walk to the Castle courtyard where you gather with everyone else waiting for the number on your ticket to appear on the video screens, then line up for entry. The entire guided tour takes 35 minutes then you are free to roam about the kitchen area on your own before the ubiquitous exit through the gift shop. It is then a moderate uphill walk back to bus stop or a 20 minute walk down, a better option as the sites are lovely. Then take the bus back to Füssen and catch the next train back to Munich.

A Bavaria Ticket is an economical way to go if you are departing after 9:00 am Mon – Fri or anytime on the weekends. (If you want to depart before 9:00 on a weekday, simply buy a one-way ticket to the first train stop at 9:00 or after). The Bavaria Ticket includes the bus from Füssen up to Hohenschwangau and back as well, although you will need to pay a couple Euros for the bus up from Hohenschwangau to the castle.

Fife, Scotland
Level Contributor
556 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trip to Neuschwanstein Castle.. Suggestion please!!

Take an organised trip and this takes the strain out of doing it yourself

tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g187309-…

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
37,559 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trip to Neuschwanstein Castle.. Suggestion please!!

A standard day trip from Munich, albeit it is not that close. Thus a full day trip no matter if you go by tour bus or by public transport. This day trip can be done easily using public transport. Cheap if you use a Bayern Ticket

bahn.de/i/…bavaria-ticket.shtml

Which covers all local public transport in Munich, the trains to Füssen and the buses from Füssen to Hohenschwangau village (where Neuschwanstein and Hohenschwangau castles are).

Bayern Ticket is esp. attractive if you are not traveling alone.

GrayLine / Autobus Oberbayern (daily)

stadtrundfahrten-muenchen.de/en/…

Mike's Bike Tours / Bus Bavaria (only during season and never daily)

mikesbiketours.com/munich/Castle-Tours/neusc…

These are the only bus tours I'm aware of. There other bus tours you may find are just re-sellers.

For my taste the offered bus tours are quite pricey.

Bavaria Ticket / GrayLine / Mike's Bike Tours

single person: EUR 23 / 51 / 59

family with 2 kids under 15: EUR 27 / 154 / 188

Note that the above prices do not include the entrance fees to Neuschwanstein Castle (or Linderhof Palace or Hohenschwangau Castle). The tours through these castles are always done by the castle administration. And are due the demand esp. at Neuschwanstein and Linderhof rather rushed. There are no private or special tours through the castles or whatever nice wordings some companies use to give such an impression. Thus in the end the bus tours offer not much more than just transport to Hohenschwangau and back.

Also not covered are the horse carriages up to the castles or the bus from Hohenschwangau village to Mary's Bridge.

https://www.hohenschwangau.de/553.0.html

USA
Level Contributor
1,052 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trip to Neuschwanstein Castle.. Suggestion please!!

My advice is to rent a car unless you are nervous about driving in Germany. Driving is pretty easy in that part of the country, and, with an early start on a long summer's day, you can see a lot more than just the castles in Hohenschwangau if you rent a car.

But if all you want to see are those castles, then either a bus tour or train on your own are pretty easy.

Gambrills, MD
Destination Expert
for Fussen
Level Contributor
3,100 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day trip to Neuschwanstein Castle.. Suggestion please!!

Going to Neuschwanstein is very easy by train and bus. You get the same tour inside, whether you go on your own or on an organized group tour. Fuessen is a nice town too, and worth a visit. http://www.fuessen.de/en.html

6. Re: Day trip to Neuschwanstein Castle.. Suggestion please!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 August 2014, 02:24
Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
102 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day trip to Neuschwanstein Castle.. Suggestion please!!

Thanks for the videos perfect for people who get lost like me xx

8. Re: Day trip to Neuschwanstein Castle.. Suggestion please!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 February 2015, 05:19