We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Munich 5 hour layover

Pittsfield, Vermont
9 posts
Save Topic
Munich 5 hour layover

I couldn't find any recent posts about what to do with a 5 hour layover in Munich. Traveling alone, would like safe and easy. Any suggestions? Not sure if train suggestions posted in 2011 are still valid.... thanks!

Florida
Level Contributor
2,219 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Munich 5 hour layover

The S1 and S8 leave the airport every 20 minutes for the center. The ride, itself will take about 35 or so minutes, depending on which one you take. Then you have the same going back to the airport.

Dont forget to add in "waiting time" fir the S-Bahn, so count on an hour each way.

That leaves three hours, but you have to also account for check-in time at the airport, when you return.

In short, I don't see any worth in going into town. The Munich airport is very nice with a nice shopping and restaurant area. Mill around, have a drink and bite to eat, and just relax.

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
4,410 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Munich 5 hour layover

The S-Bahn ride into town takes about 45 minutes, and there is no faster way. A taxi would just get stuck in traffic.

So instead of going to Munich, why not explore nearby Freising? There is a bus connection, and you can also take a taxi back to the airport without breaking the bank. I mean, Munich is nicer than Freising - but if you only have 5 hours, I don't think would be a good idea.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
2,581 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Munich 5 hour layover

After visiting Munich almost annually since 1966, I finally got around to seeing Schloss Schleissheim, perhaps two or three stops from the airport. It's remarkably beautiful. If you still have time, there's a historical air field (oldest in Bavaria) close by with an pretty good airplane collection. Also a nice place to eat in one of the palace out-buildings. So spend less time on the train, more absorbing Bavarian history, architecture, culture and food.

Pittsfield, Vermont
9 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Munich 5 hour layover

Freising is a great suggestion. I see that there is a beautiful church to visit. Any idea how long security takes a the Munich airport on a Saturday afternoon? I just want to make sure I leave enough time to make my plane... Thanks for the suggestion. Also, how much would a cab ride be or even the bus you mentioned? Where would I find the bus when in the airport?

Rayleigh, United...
Destination Expert
for Seoul, Rothenburg
Level Contributor
12,254 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Munich 5 hour layover

Where do you fly TO? And what airline? This info dictates security time.

To elaborate, T2 fo r LH usually 30 mins from arrival at airport to gate, max. Flights to USA have longer gate security.

Edited: 11 February 2014, 08:22
Pittsfield, Vermont
9 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Munich 5 hour layover

I am flying in from Zegreb, Croatia and going to Boston, US... does that help?

Rayleigh, United...
Destination Expert
for Seoul, Rothenburg
Level Contributor
12,254 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Munich 5 hour layover

So you will have extra security due to US destination.

But do you need to go to T1, because my experience is that this terminal takes longer than the Star Alliance terminal. Your final airline is??

Boston...
Level Contributor
63 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Munich 5 hour layover

So we would love to go to the brewery in Freising. We are flying in from venice and flying out to boston on lufthansa. We will only have carry on which we could leave at the airport. Can we realistically make this trip, have lunch and make it back in time on a saturday.

9. Re: Munich 5 hour layover

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 September 2015, 06:16