We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Mass Transit Pass for a 6-Day Stay in Munich

Boston...
Level Contributor
48 posts
Save Topic
Best Mass Transit Pass for a 6-Day Stay in Munich

Hi all,

I will be traveling to Munich later this year, and plan on extensively using the Munich rapid transit network (U-Bahn/S-Bahn/Tram, etc) for getting around during my stay. I will be staying for six days.

What would be the best type of pass for me to purchase for a six-day stay in Munich? I plan to go throughout the city, and possibly some of the suburban areas. Basically, I want to get the best "bang for my buck", and not buy the wrong pass. Any and all advice on this matter will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Happy Travels,

FlyingIsCool22

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Berlin
Level Contributor
5,796 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Mass Transit Pass for a 6-Day Stay in Munich

This would probably suit: mvv-muenchen.de/en/…index.html

Check the tariff map to know which zones you need - 8 rings would cover the entire city, but not the airport.

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
37,538 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Mass Transit Pass for a 6-Day Stay in Munich

The rings 1-4 equal the MVV inner district = white zone = the city of Munich plus a few adjacent villages.

mvv-muenchen.de/fileadmin/media/Dateien/3_Ti…

Buying an IsarCard (weekly ticket) for these 4 rings (inner district) has the advantage that you can extend it by buying a day ticket for the outer district (green, yellow + red zone) to a ticket covering the complete MVV area (e.g. also places like Munich Airport, Freising, Andechs).

mvv-muenchen.de/en/…index.html

Edited: 18 February 2014, 23:40
Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Munich, Amsterdam, The Ardennes
Level Contributor
7,542 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Mass Transit Pass for a 6-Day Stay in Munich

Check where your hotel is and which destinations you want to go. Normally Isarcard weekly ring 1-4 is a good option.

Boston...
Level Contributor
48 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Mass Transit Pass for a 6-Day Stay in Munich

Thank you for your help so far, all.

I have one additional question as it regards to this topic.

I'll be flying into Munich and plan on taking the S-Bahn/U-Bahn to Munich to the hotel where I am staying. Munich Airport is in Zone 13, and a Zone 13 IsarCard weekly pass is around 47 euros (63 USD). I'm not planning on going to villages/suburbs probably past Zone 8, and I will be leaving Munich by Train out of the Hauptbahnhof. Considering these facts, can anyone suggest what my best bet would be in terms of a Munich mass transit pass?

Thanks,

FlyingIsCool22

Edited: 25 February 2014, 18:40
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
9,172 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Mass Transit Pass for a 6-Day Stay in Munich

Hasn't your question been answered in post #2?

>>Buying an IsarCard (weekly ticket) for these 4 rings (inner district) has the advantage that you can extend it by buying a day ticket for the outer district (green, yellow + red zone) to a ticket covering the complete MVV area <<

So, from the airport, you need an additional (on top of the Isarcard) Outer District Day ticket for € 6

mvv-muenchen.de/en/…index.html

this enables you to go from the airport to Munich inner district

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Munich, Amsterdam, The Ardennes
Level Contributor
7,542 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Mass Transit Pass for a 6-Day Stay in Munich

Which suburbs in zone 7/8 you plan to go? Normally ring 1-4 will do.

Boston...
Level Contributor
48 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Mass Transit Pass for a 6-Day Stay in Munich

Hi--possibly I may travel to Dachau, and Schliesheim to the Flugwerft that the Deutsches museum runs. I also may travel to Bavaria Filmstadt, which I believe is outside the 1-4 zone. I also would like to visit Schloss Nymphenburg, but I don't remember if that is outside the inner district.

My real question is which pass do I buy at Munich Airport when I land. The hotel I am staying at is perfectly situated for U-Bahn/S-Bahn service and I would really prefer to take the S-Bahn from the Airport to my hotel. Plus, when I leave Munich, I am leaving on the ICE from the Hauptbahnhof, so I will not need to go back to the Airport.

Is there some sort of combination I can do that may lessen the pass price for me, so I don't have to pay for a 13 zone (airport zone) weekly IsarCard? For instance, buy an AirportCity day ticket the day I land, and the next day or later the same day, buy a lesser zoned IsarCard weekly pass for the for the zones of the places I am planing on visiting? Might something that work?

Suggestions are very much welcome.

FlyingIsCool22

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Berlin
Level Contributor
5,796 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best Mass Transit Pass for a 6-Day Stay in Munich

If Munich is anything like Berlin or London you will only have to get a ticket from the boundary of your IsarCard. So if you have a card for rings 1-4 and go to Dachau, you'd ask for an extension fare to Dachau.

Can any locals confirm?

Edit: Abalada said EXACTLY this. Get a 1-4 IsarCard at the airport then pay the additional fare.

Edited: 27 February 2014, 17:13
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
9,172 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best Mass Transit Pass for a 6-Day Stay in Munich

Why the same question again, it has already been dealt with originally by abalada in post #2, then repeated by me in post #5, and now by darenmcc in post #8. Is that not clear enough?

10. Re: Best Mass Transit Pass for a 6-Day Stay in Munich

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 March 2015, 05:19