We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tight connection - Airport Hotel

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
180 posts
70 reviews
Save Topic
Tight connection - Airport Hotel

Just a quick question. I have an unavoidable and very tight connection (50mins) from Istanbul via Munich to Chicago. I have made this connection before but fear I may not at some point. If I miss the conncection and no other flight options are available - What would be a good local hotel, close to airport, with easy transport and good price (budget). I have read the hotel reviews - but was wondering what the bloggers here have to say.

**Thanks in advance for everyone's adivce!**

-Robert

Munich, Germany
Destination Expert
for Munich
Level Contributor
2,980 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tight connection - Airport Hotel

If your flights are on the same ticket anf you miss the connection, then the airline will provide you with a hotel for free, usually the Kempinski (directly at Terminal 2) or the Novotel (one S-Bahn stop away).

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
180 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tight connection - Airport Hotel

Hi Panda - thanks for the response. Yes, same ticket and I agree they (Lufthansa) should and hopefully they will provide hotel. I just want to make sure I have a back-up plan. Lufthansa has always been accommodating in the past....but things seem to be changing a bit lately. Hopefully I wont have to worry about it.

-Robert

Munich, Germany
Destination Expert
for Munich
Level Contributor
2,980 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tight connection - Airport Hotel

Don't worry, they are legally obliged to put you up in a hotel *and* give you meal vouchers.

As far as I remember, Lufthansa passengers get put up in the Kempinski, which is a 5 star hotel :-)

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
180 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tight connection - Airport Hotel

Sounds like no worries then....Lufthansa gave us meal vouchers in Chicago last year after snowstorm cancellation and rebooking on Turkish. And actually I'd LOVE to stay a night or two in Munich - just never had the chance/time. Thanks again!

-Robert

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Berlin
Level Contributor
6,103 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tight connection - Airport Hotel

Well... they'll only do that if the missed connection was their fault and you didn't land on time.

UK
Level Contributor
7,280 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tight connection - Airport Hotel

"Well... they'll only do that if the missed connection was their fault and you didn't land on time."

Under EU261/2004 airlines have to provide food and accommodation regardless of the reason for the delay/missed connections (as long as it wasn't the passenger's fault). There is a difference between right to compensation and right to care. You don't have a right to compensation if the delay was due to reasons outside the airline's control (like weather). You do have a right to care (food, accommodation) regardless of the reason.

So - yes, if you miss a connection, even a tight one, due to a late incoming flight then the airline has to put you up in a hotel.

I know airlines - even reputable ones - still like to fob passengers off, especially passengers from outside Europe. BA tried to tell Canadian friends of mine that they had to pay for their own hotel at LHR when they missed a flight due to adverse weather. I put them right on that!

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
180 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tight connection - Airport Hotel

Continued thanks to everyone. Aviatrix....I'm going to have to remember "EU261/2004" just in case. I know how US airlines treat passengers....and it leaves me a bit embarrassed to claim them as from the USA. But I still kinda hope I do miss the connection...that way I might get to catch a glimpse of Munich . Many thanks!

-Robert

8. Re: Tight connection - Airport Hotel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 February 2015, 05:19