We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trains to Salzburg and Bertesgaden

C B
Valdosta, Georgia
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Topic
Trains to Salzburg and Bertesgaden

I read some of your postings earlier and you seemed incredibly informed, so I thought I would ask for some advice!

We are planning on staying the night in Munich on Thursday. The following day (Friday), we would like to see Eagles Nest and Salzburg.

We would like to catch an EARLY (around 6 am) train from Munich to Salzburg on Friday. This should take 1.5 hours to rail from Munich-Salzburg. Then we would like to sight see Salzburg until lunch. At lunch time, we plan on taking the bus from Salzburg Train Station to Bertesgaden. Our Eagles Nest tour starts at 1:15 PM. The Eagle’s Nest tour ends at 5:15 PM. At the end of our tour, we need to head back to Munich. Which train should we take to get from Munich to Salzburg?

Can we depart Bertesgaden and head directly (by rail) back to Munich?

These are my plans and ideas, but I would like specific details on how to accomplish this itinerary.

Any details would be so greatly appreciated!!

Mike's Bike Tours
City Tours, Bike Tours, Sightseeing Tours
SANDEMANs NEW Europe - Munich
City Tours, Walking Tours, Beer Tastings & Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Big Hat Tours
Walking Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours
Radius Tours
Historical & Heritage Tours, Day Trips, City Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Equipment Hire
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
10,026 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trains to Salzburg and Bertesgaden

>>EARLY (around 6 am) train from Munich to Salzburg on Friday<<

Since you want to catch an early train, that means using Bayern ticket is out of the question. You either have to buy the full fare on Meridian train (the operator of regional trains on this route) or pre-book a Railjet train, which may give a discounted fare of € 19 one way (Meridian full fare is €29.30)

>>we plan on taking the bus from Salzburg Train Station to Bertesgaden<<

Go to this site for 840 bus timetable

www.svv-info.at/en/timetables/trip-planner/

>>Can we depart Bertesgaden and head directly (by rail) back to Munich?<<

No, you need to take the 840 bus back to Salzburg, and then train to Munich.

Since the time will be after 9am, you could avail yourself to use the Bayern ticket (€ 23 for one, or 27 for two persons). Again, the train operator will be Meridian, unless of course, you decided to book either the EuroCity or Railjet to Munich

(pre-booking up to 90 days in advance)

Edited: 25 February 2014, 03:18
C B
Valdosta, Georgia
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Trains to Salzburg and Bertesgaden

Thanks much for the info! Would you please explain the difference between the Meridian and the Bayern tickets?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
10,026 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trains to Salzburg and Bertesgaden

During the last couple of years, Deutsche Bahn has privatised some of the regional trains, and hence Meridian is now operating that route.

https://www.der-meridian.de/

Nevertheless, they are honouring the Bayern tickets, as per the usual previous arrangement

'Bayern ticket' is just one variant of the general 'Laender' ticket

bahn.de/i/…laender-ticket.shtml

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
39,071 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Trains to Salzburg and Bertesgaden

DB timetable

http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en

Start: München Hbf

Destination: Salzburg Hbf

Start: Salzburg Justizgebäude, Österreich

Destination: Berchtesgaden Hbf

DB timetable will show you also the schedule of the bus #840 to Berchtesgaden.

While due your early start you cannot use a Bayern Ticket to get to Salzburg you can use this ticket to travel from Salzburg to Berchtesgaden (bus #840 is covered, Salzburg city buses are not) and from Berchtesgaden back to Munich. Select at the DB timetable as means of transport "only local transport" if you query for a connection back to Munich on a Bayern Ticket. No need to travel back to Salzburg. Train via Freilassing is the better option.

bahn.de/i/…bavaria-ticket.shtml

C B
Valdosta, Georgia
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Trains to Salzburg and Bertesgaden

would it just be better to rent a car or two (There is seven of us) and drive to berchtesgaden and salzburg or train still our best option?

C B
Valdosta, Georgia
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Trains to Salzburg and Bertesgaden

is Freilassing the name of the town where we would catch the train from Bertesgaden back to Munich?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
10,026 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trains to Salzburg and Bertesgaden

No, abalada in post #4 has corrected my mistake. So, if I summarize, the following are your options:

- go to Salzburg from Munich - pay full fare

- buy the Bayern ticket, and use it to for bus #840 to Berchtesgaden

- use the same ticket to travel from Berchtesgaden to Munich, change train at Freilassing

The journey from Berchtesgaden to Freilassing is on to BLB train, whilst from Freilassing to Munich is on the Meridian train

http://www.blb.info/

Edited: 25 February 2014, 23:16
C B
Valdosta, Georgia
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Trains to Salzburg and Bertesgaden

so for step number one (where I need to pay a full fare from Munich to Salzburg) would I just take the OOB?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
10,026 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trains to Salzburg and Bertesgaden

That has already been explained in post #1

>>>>EARLY (around 6 am) train from Munich to Salzburg on Friday<<

Since you want to catch an early train, that means using Bayern ticket is out of the question. You either have to buy the full fare on Meridian train (the operator of regional trains on this route) or pre-book a Railjet train, which may give a discounted fare of € 19 one way (Meridian full fare is €29.30)<<

C B
Valdosta, Georgia
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Trains to Salzburg and Bertesgaden

So I will need to get a ticket from Muchen Hbf to Salzburg Hbf,

Once I arrive in Salzburg, I can take the #840 Bus from the Main station to Bertesgaden. (Is this what you’re referring to when you said “Salzburg Justizgebaude, Osterreich” ?? Or I could purchase the Bayern Ticket to cover the cost of the #840 bus?

Then I will need to take the train from Berchtesgaden-Freilassing..and then Frielassing-Muchen Hbf, which is covered all in the cost of my Bayern Ticket, correct?