We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
1,007 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Car Rental Question

We will be renting a car while visiting Munich to travel around.

We will be going from Bamberg, Wurzburg, Rothenvurg and down the Romantic road all the way to Fussen, G-P and Mittenwald areas before going over to Salzburg.

Which car rental company, while in Germany, should we rent from where we can return the vehicle on our way to Salzburg (we will not cross the norder with it) as we will be coming from G-P/Mittenwald area, as our last towns before leaving Germany to get to Salzburg, Austria?

Thanks for all your suggestions

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
3,159 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car Rental Question

have a look at sixt. They have a depot in Freilassing near the station which is the last station in Germany on the line to Salzburg and a one way rental costs only 15Euro with them the last time I was looking.

Their prices are very competitive and from the few times I used them the cars were spotless.

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
38,648 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Car Rental Question

You could return a rental car either in Freilassing or Berchtesgaden. From both towns you can travel by train or bus to Salzburg.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
1,007 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car Rental Question

Thanks for the feedback here.

What about Hertz?

We have accumulated some points with them.

Besides their airport location, what are other hertz stations that would be convenient to pick up the car around Munich "Downtown area" and drop it off on the way to Salzburg from G-P/Mittenwald areas?

Thanks for all your feedback here and looking to your replies.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
38 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car Rental Question

I've rented from Hertz before, although it was in 2012 for three weeks in Frankfurt.

I didn't have any problems, although I did ding the car and was charged the insurance deductible (understandable as I was guilty as charged!)

I've read horror / success stories on these forums for just about every rental agency you can imagine. So your experience may definitely vary.

If you go to Hertz' web site, you can pull up several locations for Hertz in Munich.

We're going back this summer, and I have a reservation with Hertz to pickup in Frankfurt and return to the train station in Munich. Of course, they're charging extra for the privilege.

Hope this helps, and good luck!

Edited: 11 March 2014, 21:45
Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
38,648 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Car Rental Question

Herz has a branch in Freilassing, Ludwig-Zeller-Strasse 43. Not far from Freilassing train station.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
1,007 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car Rental Question

thanks Abalada.

Is Freilassing the station we need to catch the train to Salzburg from Munich area?

7. Re: Car Rental Question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 April 2014, 14:51
Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
38,648 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Car Rental Question

Freilassing is just across the border from Salzburg. Without the border it would be probably a suburb of Salzburg. 7 min by regional trains, 13 min by S-Bahn trains from Freilassing to Salzburg.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
1,007 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Car Rental Question

Great. I am trying to figure out where in Munich to pick up the car when we land at Munich Airport that is convenient to our itinerary to return the car when we come from G-P/Mittenwald areas on our way to Salzburg.

If Freilassing, how far is it from the Munich airport or maybe Hertz-Freilassing can pick us up at our hotel in Munich?

We're just looking for convenience to our itinerary as we're picking up the car when we arrive in MUC and dropping off the car on our way to Salzburg.

Thanks for your inputs.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Province of Trento
Level Contributor
4,191 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Car Rental Question

Are you looking to pick up and return at the same location? No need to do that. Just pick up and return in the same country.