We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train Reservation & Fees on Bahn de

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
22 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Train Reservation & Fees on Bahn de

Hi all,

Thanks in advance for your help!

Am worried about "large hidden reservation fee costs" which i have read in a few blogs.

Can you please advise

1. For Bahn train from Strasbourg to Munich, do i need to make reservations and are there reservation fees to be incurred? the website states EUR 4.5 per person.

2. Does reservation fee apply for Bayern Ticket?

Thank you!

Mentioned in this post
Strasbourg
Strasbourg
Bas-Rhin, France
Munich
Munich
Upper Bavaria, Germany
sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
19,206 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train Reservation & Fees on Bahn de

can't help with Q1

there is no reservation fee for a Bayern ticket - on your day of travel, you simply buy it from the ticket machine on the station concourse and hop on the train.

there is an additional fee if you want to reserve a seat (you cannot reserve a seat using a Bayern ticket) - and for long distance trains and if you are travelling with others & wish to sit together I'd highly recommend reserving a seat - it's no fun schlepping your bags up & down the aisle looking for a vacant/unreserved seat - and to find two together is even more difficult.

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
4,698 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train Reservation & Fees on Bahn de

The reservation for EUR 4.50 is not compulsory. It's just the default setting of the website.

You cannot make any reservations for the Bayern Ticket, since these are locals trains and you can only make a reservation on a long-distance train (ICE, IC, EC).

I'm not sure about the train to Strasbourg. What kind of train is it? I'm asking because in France, reservations on long-distance trains are compulsory.

Mentioned in this post
Strasbourg
Strasbourg
Bas-Rhin, France
France
France
Europe
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
10,647 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train Reservation & Fees on Bahn de

If you are talking about the combination ICE/TGV to Strasbourg, or a TGV train to Strasbourg, the reservation fees are already included (you will see it on the listing of that train on the page)

Mentioned in this post
Strasbourg
Strasbourg
Bas-Rhin, France
Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
39,844 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Train Reservation & Fees on Bahn de

If you start your trip in Strasbourg on a TGV train seat reservation is included in the ticket price as it is compulsory for TGV trains in France. If this is a connection where you'll have to change trains in Stuttgart DB is offering you an optional seat reservation for EUR 4,50 for the leg Stuttgart to Munich. As long this is not during an absolute peak travel time - not necessary to reserve for this leg.

Bayern Ticket is only good for regional trains. Seat reservations are however only possible on long distance trains (IC/EC and ICE). No reservation possible = no reservation fees.

> 1. the website states EUR 4.5 per person.

Neither a large fee nor hidden. Under German law one has to show consumers always the final price, i.e. the price the customer has to pay. Thus including taxes, service and any other fees.

Mentioned in this post
TGV
TGV
1,292 Reviews
Paris, France
Strasbourg
Strasbourg
Bas-Rhin, France
France
France
Europe
Stuttgart
Stuttgart
Baden-Wurttemberg, Germany
Munich
Munich
Upper Bavaria, Germany
Hamburg, Germany
Level Contributor
1,338 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train Reservation & Fees on Bahn de

"Neither a large fee nor hidden".

Well large or not is debatable.

Edited: 13 March 2014, 10:23
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
22 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train Reservation & Fees on Bahn de

Thanks for the advice that no reservations accepted or required for Bayern Ticket!

Haha 4.5 EUR isnt "large" for me. But probably something like 45 EUR for reservation fees would be. Just wanted to make sure there are no large costs I did not budget into my trip plan.

Yes I will likely take a TGV and then a ICE, changing at Stuttgard.

Would getting on the Stuttgard train to Munich a weekday between 9 to 12 noon to be peak period? :)

Mentioned in this post
Munich
Munich
Upper Bavaria, Germany
7. Re: Train Reservation & Fees on Bahn de

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 March 2015, 05:28