We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Atm Fees?

Which Munich hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Azusa, California
Level Contributor
83 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Atm Fees?

Since my bank charges zero ATM fees for useage outside of our bank I was wondering if DB charges any money to use their atms? Thank you.

Bath, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,002 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Atm Fees?

No German ATM provider charges a fee. All fees are levied by the card issuing bank. So, in your case, you can use German cash machines free of any charge.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
19,361 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Atm Fees?

Not sure if it's true that no German bank charges a fee for someone with a card from another bank but it's certainly not true for all ATMs in Germany. Irecently got 100€ from a Euronet machine and paid 4.99€ for the transaction. That was nothing to do with my bank (Deutsche Bank). I realised too late that buying a public transport ticket to a DB branch would have been a lot cheaper.

There are a lot of ATMs in Germany not located near a bank, be very wary of them! DB Germany customers are told of some (note only SOME) German banks where they will be charged no fee eg the Postbank. There is an agreement with Barclays, Bank of America etc for international usage

In Spain our Spanish bank doesn't charge you if we use their own machines but other providers do charge for the service. I think it is different using ATMs in the UK with a UK bank card (which may lead to LondonParisBerlin's comment but using your card abroad will normally involve transaction fees (and also exchange-rate weighting).Duckie, are you sure the no transaction fee still applies when using the card outside the US?

Edited: 05 April 2014, 09:44
Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Atm Fees?

> Irecently got 100€ from a Euronet machine and paid 4.99€ for the transaction. That was nothing to do with my bank (Deutsche Bank).

This is not correct. As Deutsche Bank writes in their conditions: "Barauszahlung an Inhaber von Karten

der Deutschen Bank am Geldautomaten bei anderen ausländischen Kreditinstituten: 1% mind. 5,99 €".

https://www.deutsche-bank.de/pfb/data/docs/s…

And yes, all fees are levied by the card issuing bank. Otherwise the bank would not be able to commit a legal contract with you!

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Berlin
Level Contributor
5,640 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Atm Fees?

I'd say it is correct, marsh m. 1% of €100 with a minimum of €5.99 isn't €4.99! Also, the condition clearly states FOREIGN cash machines. Lynda was using a Deutsche Bank card in a freestanding Euronet machine - Euronet is a German network.

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Atm Fees?

Wll, then she has a different contract ;-)

Frankfurt
Level Contributor
536 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Atm Fees?

Actually there are ATMs that charge fees in Germany, normally ATMs that are not operated by a bank. If your card issuer does not charge you a fee for international cash withdrawals at ATMs then using an ATM at a normal bank will not result in a fee being charged. ATMs that charge an extra fee (not the card issuer fee) are required to display this fee before the withdrawal is processed. If you see such a message then simply cancel the transaction and look for a bank. Usually you shouldn't have a problem avoiding ATMs such as the Euronet ones.

Hanau, Germany
Level Contributor
2,274 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Atm Fees?

In case the ATM charges a fee it has to be clearly stated on the machine, or give out a warning before you go through with the transaction so you can abort it before a charge applies.

One has to be careful, I wanted to withdraw money on an ATM with my Maestrocrad, on the ATM was a sign telling me it would charge ?? for the transaction, all Visacards are free, so I use my Visacard an my bank charged me for using an ATM from a different bank, outside of Germany I can use my Visa without a charge.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,256 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Atm Fees?

I always get charged ATM fees when making withdrawals in other countries. And Uta is correct, the machine tells me "this transaction will cost you ___ do you want to proceed.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
19,361 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Atm Fees?

Darren's right, I was using my Deutsche Bank (Germany) card in Germany. I know all about Deutsche Bank charges when using the card abroad (and the global ATM alliance)

I admit I hit "proceed " too fast; I read what the charge was (stated at the bottom of the screen, pretty small) too late to abort the transaction There was nothing on the machine and I was an innocent but It's taught me a lesson.

Having to pay for 3 opera-live-at-the Met tickets in cash (87€) as it turned out that Cubix doesn't accept even EC cards is what had made me keen to get a bit of cash.

Azusa, California
Level Contributor
83 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Atm Fees?

Maybe it wasn't clear. I am going to be using a United States Bank to with draw at Deutches bank ATMS. Im wondering if those atms charge? Or am I just reading incorrectly?