We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Marienplatz on a Sunday -- early August

Chagrin Falls, Ohio
Level Contributor
27 posts
143 reviews
Save Topic
Marienplatz on a Sunday -- early August

I saw a few reviews that noted that "everything" is closed on Sundays around the Marienplatz, but I'm speculating that it might be different in summer.

Our days for Munich are Sunday and Monday in early August. Will restaurants and shops be open?

Need to know for planning purposes. Thanks!

Karlsruhe, Germany
Destination Expert
for Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
9,734 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Marienplatz on a Sunday -- early August

"Everything" translates to "shopping" for some. Shops are closed on Sundays except those within airports and train stations and some souvenir shops. Restaurants and attractions are open on Sundays. However, take into consideration that most museums are closed on Mondays.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,256 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Marienplatz on a Sunday -- early August

From my experience, shops being closed on Sunday is pretty much the norm throughout Europe.

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
3,981 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Marienplatz on a Sunday -- early August

Most restaurants will be open. (Some close, when their business depends too much on shoppers - but this is not the case on Marienplatz.)

However, all shops will be closed, and this will not change just because it's summer. It's the law (Ladenschlussgesetz), and the only shops that can stay open on a Sunday are those at the train station, at the airport or at gas stations, just in case you need something.

4. Re: Marienplatz on a Sunday -- early August

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 April 2015, 06:15