We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Destinations 2014 - Europe - Munich not ranked

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
29,021 posts
546 reviews
Save Topic
Best Destinations 2014 - Europe - Munich not ranked

Last year Munich was #15 in Europe, but this year it did not get ranked. Very surprising.

tripadvisor.com/TravelersChoice-Destinations…

tripadvisor.com/Tourism-g4-Europe-Vacations.…

Any cities you think it should have been above perhaps?

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
2,475 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Destinations 2014 - Europe - Munich not ranked

Yes, strange, but that would give Germany 2 in the top 25. I would put Budapest (where I have never been, but my daughter was not impressed), and possibly Barcelona on the bubble. The list is for the whole world, so that's pretty tough competition. In the US, only NYC, SF and Chicago made the list. I know Chicago and Munich pretty well. That's a tough choice. I lived in Munich for a year and visit it at least once a year. It would be in the next 10, for sure.

Hamburg, Germany
Level Contributor
1,338 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Destinations 2014 - Europe - Munich not ranked

Totally understandable as the city totally overrated stuck in past. It has its nice corners but the total city has no proper "urban concept" and develops further unlike Berlin (as little am a fan of it) or Hamburg.

Frankfurt
Destination Expert
for Frankfurt
Level Contributor
5,829 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Destinations 2014 - Europe - Munich not ranked

I think Berlin ranks a whole lot higher than Munich and can see what it made the top 25. The city has more going for it, is livelier and simply fascinating.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
29,021 posts
546 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Destinations 2014 - Europe - Munich not ranked

@ RobLaw47,

When I mentioned Munich was ranked 15th last year I meant it was ranked that in Europe only of the top 25 cities, not that it was ranked 15th in the World.

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
19,650 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Destinations 2014 - Europe - Munich not ranked

as travel tastes change from year to year, the survey means nothing, other than some are saying they have been to munich and want to try somewhere else. as for comparing it to berlin. unfortunately there is no contest...munich is a far better place to visit. however, due to its historical context, more people now would like to see berlin as it was difficult to visit in the past.

munich airport was voted third best in the world, and best in Europe. so that shows how skewed the votes can be. not saying that munich is no good, but 3rd best in the world???????????

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
20,188 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Destinations 2014 - Europe - Munich not ranked

The survey is a bit strange, I was very surprised to see Rimini there at number 25, beaten only by Rome, Florence, Venice and Milan in Italy despite all that competition in the country (Naples, Bologna, Turin etc etc) and in the rest of Europe. Where was Stockholm, for example?

As to Munich versus Berlin, I would say no contest too, but vote the other way from Nakagoli!

Bautzen, Germany
Level Contributor
814 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Destinations 2014 - Europe - Munich not ranked

>>>Any cities you think it should have been above perhaps?<<<

Prague is too high. I can spend two weeks in Paris, London, Berlin and Rome (I love art and architecture), but 4 full days are more than enough for Prague. And while Instanbul is fascinating, it isn't in my Top5. St. Petersburg should be higher. And it's always surprises me how underrated Vienna is. I mean, #16? And Budapest #10? Really?

Edited: 09 April 2014, 18:41
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
29,021 posts
546 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best Destinations 2014 - Europe - Munich not ranked

…cnn.com/2014/…

""TripAdvisor's sixth annual Travelers' Choice awards has sliced and diced its users' reviews and ratings over 12 months into lists of its most highly recommended global and regional destinations....

Travelers' Choice award-winning destinations are determined using an algorithm that takes into account the quality and quantity of reviews from TripAdvisor users.""

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
29,021 posts
546 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best Destinations 2014 - Europe - Munich not ranked

@ MartinN2807,

Can you give an idea of how your top 15 cities would look in Europe? I would be curious

Frankfurt
Destination Expert
for Frankfurt
Level Contributor
5,829 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best Destinations 2014 - Europe - Munich not ranked

Why are you curious as to what cities Martin likes the best? Why does it matter? You have 4 posts on this thread, jordanbulls, plus you started another thread on the same exact subject! It is like an obsession with you. Do you always follow the crowd?

The interests of one person are not the same as for others. Go to the cities that have what you want because what someone else thinks about them is pretty meaningless. For example, I can take or leave Paris, but others adore it. No place in Russia attracts me at all, but St. Petersburg is a must for someone else. Milan is seen as boring by many, but I really enjoyed visiting there. Others like Munich the best and someone else likes Berlin the most, and you will probably find someone that thinks that Cologne is the best city in Germany.

At the end of the day, it just doesn't matter.

Edited: 10 April 2014, 07:10