We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family 2 week trip to Munich/Berlin/Prague

Which Munich hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
4 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Family 2 week trip to Munich/Berlin/Prague

Hi all,

I'm reposting this from the incorrect forum, with updates, and I need your help. We are taking a celebratory family vacation this July with 10 people, ages 3-71. We are staying 7 nights in Munich, 4 in Prague, and 3 in Berlin. We plan to leave our belongings at our hotel in Munich, and take a couple of day trips from there. Neuschwanstein and hohenschwangau are. One of these. We have had our eyes on rothenburg since the beginning of planning this, but I am thinking this is too far from Munich to make it worthwhile. I am looking for a nearer town that will give us this same Bavarian village feel. I have read about Bamberg, regensburg, ulm, and landshut, as well as Oberammergau, garmisch-partenkirchen, and mittenwald. I am trying unsuccessfully to get a feel for which best meets these qualifications. All of them sound great, but we gotta pick just one, and don't want to spend all day traveling back and forth, nor move all of our stuff any more than planned. A person on another message board mentioned that Oberammergau is close, charming, and we can see where they do the passion plays, as well as incorporate a visit to the third Ludwig II palace and a visit to Weiskirchen. This is intriguing, but sounds like a LOT for one day. Will you please weigh in? Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
22,790 posts
504 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Family 2 week trip to Munich/Berlin/Prague

So do you plan to go back and forth to Munich each day after going to these other towns?

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
4 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Family 2 week trip to Munich/Berlin/Prague

We will be stating in Munich, and would like to do 2 day trips from there, returning at night. Fussen castles are one of these. Looking for guidance on the second. We just don't want to pack up our group and move and check in/out any more than needed

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
19,046 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Family 2 week trip to Munich/Berlin/Prague

7 days in Munich, 4 in Prague and only 3 in Berlin strikes me as a very strange division of time, even allowing for day-trips from Munich. Also, bear in mind that getting from Munich to Prague will take a huge chunk out of one day. Prague to Berlin is quicker, about 4 hours by train.

I'd have said at the very least you need to allow more time for Berlin than for Prague. Prague is fairly compact and in 3 days you can cover all the main sights incl. some museum visits, castle visit etc. Berlin is very spread out and has lots of museums and memorial sites (Nazi period and GDR times) as well as, for the kids, two zoos, a Lego discovery centre etc etc.

With more time in Berlin, Potsdam is the usual day-trip; it's right next-door so only half an hour by regional train or S-Bahn (or you can get there by boat from Wannsee). Potsdam has a pretty Old Town with Dutch Quarter and several palaces. There are palaces in Berlin itself too, Charlottenburg being the biggest . Charlottenburg also has a wonderful park and gardens behind it, there's even an adventure playground at the end furthest from the palace (near Jungfernheide S_Bahn station)

Edited: 13 April 2014, 17:31
Hanau, Germany
Level Contributor
2,193 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Family 2 week trip to Munich/Berlin/Prague

I agree with Lynda Berlin should be longer, maybe only 6 nights in Munich, 3 in Prague and the rest in Berlin.

A daytrip to Neuschwanstein will be a very long day, there are other castles much closer, Neuschwanstein is very pretty from the outside, much less so inside, it was never finished, only one floor is furnished, I know it's a 'must see' but had the impression my friends from the US were rather disappointed with it after the visit, maybe you can choose another one from this page …bayern.de/englisch/palace/index.htm one that a king or emporer really lived in and used as a residence.

From Munich you could go to Salzburg for a day trip, you can do so on the Bavaria ticket.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
22,790 posts
504 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Family 2 week trip to Munich/Berlin/Prague

7 days Munich is a lot, but then a few are day trips. But 3 days in Berlin is too few especially if you are spending more time in Prague and Munich then Berlin. But then again I don't really know where your main interests lays.

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
36,132 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Family 2 week trip to Munich/Berlin/Prague

> We have had our eyes on rothenburg since the beginning of planning this ... I am looking for a nearer town that will give us this same Bavarian village feel.

No Bavarian village feel at Rothenburg. Architecture style is Franconian (half timbered houses, narrow streets). Not Bavarian/Alpine (stone houses, wide streets). Apart from this Rothenburg is a well preserved (stopped crowing) medium sized medieval city.

The closest Rothenburg like town is Nördlingen (1:55 from Munich , 1 change of trains).

noerdlingen.de/Noerdlingen-entdecken/Histori…

They have a number of brochures in English. But no idea why they don't put them online. You could order them or get them at their tourist office.

noerdlingen.de/Service/Prospekte-bestellen

> I have read about Bamberg, regensburg, ulm, and landshut,

Bamberg is even north of Rothenburg, just better connected. But still far.

Landshut (45 min) and Regensburg (80-90 min) are for sure options.

Here some more

Freising (inside the MVV) (23 min)

www.freising.de/index.php…

Wasserburg am Inn (63 min, 1 change)

wasserburg.de/en/touristik/impressionen/

Landsberg am Lech (50 min, 1 change)

www.landsberg.de/web.nsf/id/pa_tourismus.html

Füssen, where you'll change from train to bus for Neuschwanstein Castle is by the way also a really nice Bavarian town.

http://www.fuessen.de/en.html

From Neuschwanstein you can also walk to the Tegelbergbahn cable car (or 1 stop by bus from Hohenschwangau). There is a summer luge, which is for sure fun for some of your family.

tegelbergbahn.de/sommerrodelbahn-tegelberg0.…

You could take of course the cable car up to the Tegelberg summit. There is a beer garden and a bistro next the summer luge. An on the summit a panoramic restaurant.

tegelbergbahn.de/gastronomie-huetten-tegelbe…

The more cultural interested of your family could explore the remains of the Roman settlement there.

www.tegelbergbahn.de/roemer-tegelberg.html

Or walk to the nearby church St. Coloman (20 min walk) which has a similar location "in the meadows" like the Wieskirche (just not an as famous architect)

…wikipedia.org/wiki/…29

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,838 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Family 2 week trip to Munich/Berlin/Prague

We did a very similar trip back in January, except we had almost three weeks, but spent the final five nights in Switzerland.

I agree with the above posters that you definitely have Berlin and Prague the wrong way around. We had three nights in Prague and four in Berlin. Berlin would have been much better with an extra night. We also had four in Munich and did Neuschwanstein as a day trip and Dachau as a half day. In hindsight an extra night in Munich would have been better.

Possibly you could take one night off of Munich and add it to Berlin.

We didn't find Neuschwanstein to be too long a day, and it was the middle of winter then, so got dark very early.

We found it a very enjoyable day, but admittedly we did not bother to go inside either castle, just to walk up to Neuschwanstein and to the Marienbrucke, which should not be missed. We did spend an hour or so in Fussen just before dark, it was a cute little town.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
4 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Family 2 week trip to Munich/Berlin/Prague

Thank you all for your replies. Thinking back, I know how we got our days in each town (we're originally hoping for apartments in Munich, Berlin was tacked onto the end of the trip, etc.) however, nothing is set in stone at this point, so I will propose shaving off a day in Munich and Prague each, and tacking them onto Berlin. Would one of these days be better allocated to Cesky Krumlov instead? I don't think that any of us HAVE to see neuschwanstein or Fussen, but just had seen that it was one of the stops you HAVE to see according to guidebooks and wherever else. Also, this will almost certainly be the last time some people in our group make it to this area of the world, so we want to hit the highlights.

DJH, sounds like by moving these nights, we would have the allocation you wish you had?

Lynda, Salzburg sounds great, but my wife has stayed there before and is hoping for new experiences. I figured there is no shortage of alternatives, though I still want to go in the future.

Abalada, thank you for the list. I'm assuming you have been to these places before. Which would you choose for first-time Germany travelers?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,838 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Family 2 week trip to Munich/Berlin/Prague

Hi FoxPartyofThree, yes you are right, if you moved those nights I think that would be perfect. Five nights each in Berlin and Munich would have been great. I would still have loved four in Prague, but holidays are unfortunately not infinite :(

We did originally have five nights planned for Munich with a day trip to Salzburg, but we decided to go to Salzburg and stay over there and continue on into Switzerland. We are very glad to have stayed in Salzburg, it would have been such a shame to just go for a day.

Enjoy your holiday.

Deb

10. Re: Family 2 week trip to Munich/Berlin/Prague

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 April 2015, 05:16