We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How easy is getting around on the train?

Boston...
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
How easy is getting around on the train?

We're (my hubby and I) visiting Munich for 5 days in May and planning on visiting Salzburg for the day as well.

The Train system seems overwhelming. I'm afraid we'll end up on the wrong train, or not be able find the correct train. Is the system pretty user friendly?

I also can't figure out which pass to purchase.

Any help or tips would be much appreciated!

Paradise, California
Destination Expert
for Rhineland-Palatinate
Level Contributor
6,476 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How easy is getting around on the train?

If all you want to do is visit Salzburg for the day...

Buy a "Bayern Ticket" daypass from a ticket machine at Munich station - €27 for two adults - from a ticket machine. It's good all day on Sat or Sun, after 9 am weekdays, on the regional trains throughout Bavaria (Bayern.) You will need to enter your name on the ticket and the name of your passenger as well. It's good for the trip to Salzburg and the return trip too.

Bayern ticket info: www.munich-touristinfo.de/Bavaria-Ticket.htm (still shows old price.)

Find regional train schedules at the DB website:

http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en

Enter Start station: Munich (München)

Enter Destination station: Salzburg Hbf

Select your travel date and travel time

Click on "only local transport" under "means of transport"

Hit "Search"

A schedule of trains eligible for use with the Bayern ticket will pop up. Hit "later" for later train options.

Under the "Chg." column you can see how many changes of train you'll have for each scheduled departure - it's normally "0" for Salzburg.

To find your platform number at the station, click on the white-on-red arrow at the left of one of the schedules. At the stations, platforms are well marked. There should be an electronic sign at each platform that indicates where the next train is going. If you're confused, ask someone. Lots of Germans speak English and don't mind helping you in your own language.

At the station you will also find large electronic departure boards and printed train schedules with platform numbers; departures are on goldenrod colored sheets - "Abfahrt" means departure in German.

Edited: 26 April 2014, 04:09
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
355 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How easy is getting around on the train?

Hi Carri,

Follow Russ's advice and you can't go wrong. Munich train station is large but easy to navigate, just leave yourself plenty of time to read the signs and find your way around and you will be fine.

Enjoy Salzburg.

Edited: 26 April 2014, 07:05
Knoxville, TN
Destination Expert
for Interlaken
Level Contributor
4,824 posts
316 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How easy is getting around on the train?

And you know, people are actually quite nice in Munich ;-) I've been known to ask the person standing beside me on the train platform if I'm at the correct train to Salzburg. I've ALWAYS been met with a friendly answer. It's just not as complicated as you may think. Afraid of the language barrier? Don't be. Most Europeans put Americans to shame with their knowledge of 2 or 3 or 4 or more languages.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
29,070 posts
546 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How easy is getting around on the train?

Here is the map of the system as well so you have an idea before you go.

mvv-muenchen.de/fileadmin/media/Dateien/plae…

Edited: 26 April 2014, 14:01
Boston...
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How easy is getting around on the train?

This is all super helpful. Thank you for breaking it down for me!

Is there a multi-day pass that covers the train within the city as well as the train to Salzburg?

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
38,522 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: How easy is getting around on the train?

No. A 3-days ticket exists only for the city of Munich (= MVV inner district = white zone).

mvv-muenchen.de/en/…index.html

Bayern Ticket (Bavaria Ticket) is only available as a day ticket. And both in combination make not much sense as the Bayern Tickets includes the complete MVV network.

bahn.de/i/…bavaria-ticket.shtml

7. Re: How easy is getting around on the train?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 April 2015, 06:15