We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Checking luggage at Muncih airport

Minneapolis MN
Level Contributor
19 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
Checking luggage at Muncih airport

Has anyone checked their luggage at the Munich airport and then stayed one night in the city? It was suggested by a guide book, buy I wonder if it would just be easier to get a room near the airport and take the train or taxi back at night?

Portland, Oregon USA
Level Contributor
2,680 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Checking luggage at Muncih airport

I once tried to check my bags early at an airport and was told that the airline would not accept bags until it was less than 5 hours before the flight.

So, you should check with your airline before you attempt to check the bags.

The Munich airport is quite a distance from the center of Munich. I think the cost of a taxi would be astronomical. It has been a number of years since I used Munich as a gateway, but I found the hotels near the airport to be few in number and the trains to the airport didn't begin until 5 AM. Perhaps this has changed.

Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
4,867 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Checking luggage at Muncih airport

Look for the "Gapaeckaufbewahrung" counter in the airport. That is the general luggage check point, independent of the airlines.

Going from the airport into the city by S-Bahn (suburban traiun) takes about 45 minutes, and trains run frequently. Check www.bahn.de, and enter Muenchen Flughafen and Muenchen Hauptbahnhof.(Hbf.) You get off the train before the HBf. , like at the Marienplatz, but the schedule will give a general idea ho early and late the trains run.

Minneapolis MN
Level Contributor
19 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Checking luggage at Muncih airport

Thanks for that help. I did read somewhere it was available outside of the airlines. Qqand the info fro the ubahn was also improtant.

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
352 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Checking luggage at Muncih airport

Departunres from Marienplatz are:

S8 via Ostbahnhof-Hallbergmoos

0h01

0h21

0h41

2h41 (Noghts Fr/Sat, Sat/Sun only)

3h21

3h41

every 20 Min until

23h41

S1 via Laim-Moosach- Neufahrn

3h42

4h22

5h02

5h22

every 20 Min until

23h22

travel-time is approx 40-45 Mins

Philipp

Essex, UK
Level Contributor
58 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Checking luggage at Muncih airport

depends where you're going.

As of today, you may well be allowed NO hand luggage when you return to your flight- eg to USA or UK

Essex, UK
Level Contributor
58 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Checking luggage at Muncih airport

depends where you're going.

As of today, you may well be allowed NO hand luggage when you return to your flight- eg to USA or UK

Scotland
Level Contributor
236 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Checking luggage at Muncih airport

We arrived back Tuesday from Munich ,before today Aug 10 alert.

Ticket to the Hauptbahnhof was cheaper buying the Partnerkarte, it worked in that two of those were cheaper than the Einzelkarte for us both on the S Bahn.

Trains are easier to fathom than the fare structure, a kind gentleman helped sort out a few of us on our arrival at the Flughafen platform.Not all of us were foreign tourists! Ticket was the only difficulty, but taking the 06.38 train on the return journey, we did find, like someone said that it was a bit awkward fitting in cases amongst the seats and passemgers as the commuters were filling up the carriages as far as the Flughafen Besucherpark.

On the plus side, we checked in our bags straight through Munich,Frankfurt,Edinburgh and collected them no problem, despite a shortened transfer time.

Don't know what will happen after today, we probably wouldn't have got back as Lufthansa apparently cancelled all UK flights?

8. Re: Checking luggage at Muncih airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 August 2009, 05:25
Get answers to your questions about Munich