We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Castles and Alps between Munich and Kempten

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
92 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Castles and Alps between Munich and Kempten

I'll be renting a car in Munich in the morning on May 22 and staying in Kempten that night. I plan on seeing the exteriors (no tours) of Linderhof, Neuschwanstein, and Hohenschwangau Castles on the way. Would I also have time for a short visit to either Garmisch-Partenkirchen or Oberstdorf to get a view of the Alps? It sounds like going to Zugspitze takes some time, so that might be pushing it. How can I make the best use of the day? Thanks.

Fussen, Germany
Level Contributor
27 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Castles and Alps between Munich and Kempten

Munich is north Neuschwanstein is south zugspitz is (austria) east and kempten west

i think you cant make zugspitz, Neuschwanstein and linderhof on the same day , i think you have to skip Zugspitz :(

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
92 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Castles and Alps between Munich and Kempten

The locations aren't that far apart though. It looks like it's about 1.5 hours from Munich to Eibsee, then less than an hour from there to Linderhof and another hour to Neuschwanstein. It would be pretty tight though.

Another option would be to go to the castles first. Then if I finish early enough go to Oberstdorf or somewhere else in the mountains between the castles and Kempten. Any suggestions for a good location?

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
3,046 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Castles and Alps between Munich and Kempten

On a good day you can see the alps from munich very clearly as if they are in the suburbs.

So driving an hour south you'll see plenty if them and the drive between castles goes through the lower parts of the mountains, and is a nice drive from memory of the time I did it a few years back.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
14,752 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Castles and Alps between Munich and Kempten

For a taste of the Alps, take the autobahn A95 south toward Garmisch-Partenkirchen then turn off at Oberau heading for Oberammergau. At Ettal (the first town) you can turn off for Linderhof. Continuing on to Reutte, Austria will take you along the Plansee in the Alps. Then go to Fuessen and on to Hohenschwangau for the palaces. You can take the lift up the Tegelberg there to get you atop one of the Alps. From Fuessen it is a short drive on the A7 autobahn to Kempten.

You have a large choice of places to visit including: the monastery church at Ettal; the painted houses of Oberammergau; Linderhof Palace; Hohenschwangau and Neuschwanstein Palaces; and the Tegelberg lift. You probably can do most of them in a day as distances aren't very far, but for Neuschwanstein and Hohenschwangau Palaces you should make reservations ahead of time to visit their interiors ( www.hohenschwangau.de ). Your tickets have to be picked up at least an hour before the tours. Neuschwanstein Palace sits part way up one of the mountains of the Alps.

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
92 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Castles and Alps between Munich and Kempten

Thanks, that sounds like a good plan. I'm probably going to skip the castle interior tours, so I should have plenty of time.

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
92 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Castles and Alps between Munich and Kempten

Here's a map of my planned route. Do I need to buy a window sticker to go through that part of Austria? It sounds like I need one to drive on 179. I'm renting from Sixt.

http://goo.gl/maps/ZYJc5

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
14,752 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Castles and Alps between Munich and Kempten

Using www.viamichelin.com on their preferred route going from Reutte, Austria to Fuessen, Germany requires a 8.30€ road tax which I take to be the Austrian autobahn sticker. I find this the best website for trips in Europe as I find their estimated driving times to be quite accurate. On their website you can also check avoid tolls and vignettes which should give you a route that doesn't require a sticker. However, it may be best to purchase the Austrian sticker in Germany before the border so that you don't make a driving error and then be fined for not having the sticker. For Austria, you also require an international driving permit which you can get inexpensively from AAA.

Munich
Level Contributor
184 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Castles and Alps between Munich and Kempten

Since you obviously have an interest in history, while you are in Kempten, why not have a quick look at the Roman remains (reconstructed temples and a great excavated bathhouse on display):

kempten.de/en/archaeologischer-park-cambodun…

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
92 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Castles and Alps between Munich and Kempten

The APC is near my hotel in Kempten, so I'll see if have time to go there. Thanks.

I got the driving permit at AAA. I thought I read somewhere that it only required 1 photo, and I had an extra from a visa application. It actually requires 2 photos, so I needed to have another set made.

10. Re: Castles and Alps between Munich and Kempten

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 May 2015, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Munich