We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Marienplatz, with the carillon performance

Bengaluru, India
Level Contributor
156 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Marienplatz, with the carillon performance

Hi friends - I keep reading in the forum about the the carillon performance at Marienplatz. I would like to understand what exactly is this performance, what time of the day and week does it happen, how long is this performance for, how much does it cost to watch it etc. Your replies will help me plan for my walk around of Munich city. Thank you so much.

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
2,963 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Marienplatz, with the carillon performance

never heard of it.

Is that a fancy name for the glockenspiel?

Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
719 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Marienplatz, with the carillon performance

Carillon is a name for a bell tower. The last I heard it plays at 11am and midday (and 5pm between March and October). It recounts a royal wedding, jousting tournament and ritualistic dance (The Coopers Dance).

It doesn't cost anything - just be at Marienplatz along with 10,000 others. It lasts about a half hour.

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
2,963 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Marienplatz, with the carillon performance

so it is the glockenspiel

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rathaus-Glockenspiel

and a search for it on google gives 183000 videos of what it looks like, and to be honest its as unspectacular on video as it is in person

Karlsruhe, Germany
Destination Expert
for Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
9,636 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Marienplatz, with the carillon performance

A carillon is not a tower but a musical instrument, a Glockenspiel with a keyboard that can be played by a musician.

The one in Marienplatz, however, is merely an automatic one that plays certain melodies while some mechanical figures move in a niche on the tower. Okay, watching it once is a must-do during a visit to Munich...

Knoxville, TN
Destination Expert
for Interlaken
Level Contributor
4,754 posts
316 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Marienplatz, with the carillon performance

But please remember to "watch" your wallets and purses also. It's a perfect place for pickpockets to ply their trade as the 10,000 spellbound tourists all give their undivided attention to the tower and the show.

Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
719 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Marienplatz, with the carillon performance

OK, symmantic police are on the ball here. A carillon is a musical instrument usually housed in a tower - hense, I said it is a bell tower. And I agree, it is interesting to see it once - and only once (well, it doesn't change so watching it again is kind of redundant).

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
3,926 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Marienplatz, with the carillon performance

I find it interesting to watch the tourists watching the "carillon". (Never heard that word until today.) They're all standing there, totally spellbound by the thing, taking photos. I always feel a bit guilty for walking through so many pictures, but well, sometimes you're in a rush. ;-)

It's free, of course.

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
15,428 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Marienplatz, with the carillon performance

The BEST thing to do is to climb the tower of Old St. Peters church, just south of the Marienplatz and be outside on the catwalk of the tower when the Glockenspiel does its thing. You can actually see the Glockenspiel and have a good view of the crowd below. The tower has something like 300 steps, so wear comfy shoes :-)

Bengaluru, India
Level Contributor
156 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Marienplatz, with the carillon performance

Thanks all for the wonderful insights into the Glockenspiel.....I will certainly provide my comments once I see (hear) it.....

10. Re: Marienplatz, with the carillon performance

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 May 2015, 05:17