We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Garmisch-Partenkirchen and Neushchwanstein castle in a day

Which Munich hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Pune
Level Contributor
64 posts
236 reviews
Save Topic
Garmisch-Partenkirchen and Neushchwanstein castle in a day

I shall be staying in Munich. Is it possible to go by train to Garmisch-Partenkirchen to see the Partnachklamm only; not the hiking trails and from there proceed to see the Neushchwanstein castle (not the interior; it is incomplete and I do not want to pay the entry fee to see an incomplete castle).and do this all in one day? If possible, also see the Alpensee in Fussen. If so, how does one proceed by train/bus from Garmisch-Partenkirchen to Neushchwanstein castle on a Bayern ticket? How many hours do you think this will take from and back to Munich?

Inchicore, Dublin...
Level Contributor
975 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Garmisch-Partenkirchen and Neushchwanstein castle in a day

Hi,

yes certainly it is. check www.bahn.com

start: Munich

destination 1: Garmisch - Partenkirchen

then from Garmisch to Hohenschwangau, castles

and from Hohenschwangau, castles back to Munich

the walkway from Garmisch station to the Partnachklamm is 45 mins one way.

For the Partnachklamm you need to allow for 30mins min.

For the castle including the Alpensee and the famous bridge allow for 1.5hours walking time min.

The times are for your way only.

Have fun!

Holger

Pune
Level Contributor
64 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Garmisch-Partenkirchen and Neushchwanstein castle in a day

Thanks Holger! Any idea if between the Partnachklamm and Leutaschklamm (in Mittenwald), which is more scenic? Or are both similar and it is a waste to see both of them?

Inchicore, Dublin...
Level Contributor
975 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Garmisch-Partenkirchen and Neushchwanstein castle in a day

Hi shri,

due to your very tight programme I propose to walk the Partnachklamm only, as it is the more famous one.

Otherwise, yes, all Klamms are different, but if you had more time, I would also recommend you to visit the Höllentalklamm and Linderhof castle and the Walchensee and Benediktbeuern and.....

Holger

Pune
Level Contributor
64 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Garmisch-Partenkirchen and Neushchwanstein castle in a day

Thanks again Holger for your help. I think I shall stick to your advice.

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Level Contributor
13,106 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Garmisch-Partenkirchen and Neushchwanstein castle in a day

Hi shri5,

You can also take the town bus from the Garmisch train station to the Olympic stadium; the walk up the Partnachklamm starts just behind the train station.

As you leave the train station, take a left and walk along the street until you come to the green bus stop. Take either bus #1 or bus #2 (identical routes at this end of town) and get off at the Olympic Stadium. The town busses are not covered by the Bayern Pass, so you have to pay 1,50 € per person. You board at the front of the bus and pay the driver.

If you take the bus, it will save you about 30 minutes each way, which will be invaluable.

It's really a shame you won't have time to see bit of Garmisch.

s

Pune
Level Contributor
64 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Garmisch-Partenkirchen and Neushchwanstein castle in a day

Hi Swandav, Thanks for the suggestion. Other than the Partnachklamm,what else should I be seeing definitely in Garmisch-Partenkirchen? I am open to the idea of seeing G-P and Mittenwald (with Leutaschklamm) in one day and do the castles on another day. Do you think that makes more sense?

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
13,106 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Garmisch-Partenkirchen and Neushchwanstein castle in a day

oooh yes, I do. It seems a shame to set foot in a place but not see any of it!

You can walk down the pedestrian street in Garmisch. As you leave the train station, take a left and walk to the end of that street. At the "T" intersection, take a left, and you'll soon be in the pedestrian street, which is lined with cafes and shops. Stroll through the end of it but make sure you stop in an outdoor cafe for a typical German treat: coffee and cake. This entire walk will take about 15 minutes (more for the coffee & cake!).

If it's a clear day, you should ascend Germany's highest mountain, the Zugspitze. The Zugspiztbahn is just behind the main train station. The trip to the top takes about 1h30, then take the cable car to the summit. When you're done, take the cable car all the way down to the Eibsee. Walk around the lake (about 90 minutes) then catch the Eibsee bus back to Garmisch. This entire excursion would take about half a day.

Have fun!

s

Inchicore, Dublin...
Level Contributor
975 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Garmisch-Partenkirchen and Neushchwanstein castle in a day

Hi Shri5,

though I am not swandav, I would like to give you 3 proposals for your day in the Alps (first one i write down today, the next will follow) . All of them could well be done in 2 days, but as you are in a hurry, I shrinked them a bid. And certainly they can be combined differently. For all of these only a Bayern Ticket is required, unless stated otherwise.

Day 1:

Munich Central 06:32 RB59447,

Garmisch - Partenkirchen arr. 07:54 / dep. 08:22 ( Bus 1, only Mon to Sat.;1,50€; extra ticket required)

Garmisch Ski Stadium arr. 08:32

other bus connections see here: gemeindewerke-garmisch-partenkirchen.de/cms/…

The distance from the station to the ski stadium you can also walk, it is about 20 mins.

From here the walk to the Partnach Gorge starts. The entrance fee to the gorge is 3.50€. For some impressions of the Partnach Gorge see here: www.partnachklamm.eu/flyer/eng-flyer-inet.pdf

My proposal is to continue to the Eckbauer, the way is not difficult and well signed. You have the opportunity to view the Gorge from a bridge. At the Eckbauer you can enjoy the magnific mountain view and enjoy your well deserved traditional bavarian breakfast ("Brotzeit"). The hiking trail you can see here, but I would walk it the other way round: outdooractive.com/en/….

The cable car brings you back to the Ski Stadium, where you started your tour (8,50€).

Durations: stadium - gorge approx. 20 min, Partnach Gorge 30 min, ascend to Eckbauer 1,5h, some time for the break cable car trip back to start 20 mins

Garmisch Ski - Stadium 11:41 Bus 2 (only Mon to Fri, 1,50€; extra ticket required)

other bus connections see here: gemeindewerke-garmisch-partenkirchen.de/cms/…

Garmisch - Partenkirchen station arr. 11:56 / dep. 13:00 (12:15 Sundays) Bus 9606

Klostergasthof Ettal arr. 13:48 (12:40 Sundays)

Ettal Monastery is a monastery out of the 14th century, founded and still operated by the Benedictines. A brewery and distillery museum demonstrate the traditions of beer and schnaps production. A famous Rokoko church is part of the site. You well deserve a lunch break in the Monastery beergarden. Check here for more information (unfortunately in German only): http://abtei.kloster-ettal.de/willkommen/

or here (in English): bavaria.by/monastary-ettal-bavaria-germany

Klostergasthof Ettal 14:47 Bus 9622

Linderhof castle arr. 15:05

Linderhof is the smallest of the three castles built by Ludwig II. - besides Neuschwanstein and Herrenchiemsee - and the only castle he finished. Hence it is worthwhile a tour. Have a look here: http://www.linderhof.de/. A tour through the palace lasts 30 mins and reservation recommended, but you need some time for the park as well.

Linderhof castle 17:55 Bus 9622

Oberammergau station arr. 18:26 / dep. 18:39 RB59588

Murnau station arr. 19:19 / dep. 19:32 RB59478 or RB5428

Munich Central arr. 20:26

I hoped you enjoyed this, next time I will include Mittenwald and the Leutasch Gorge.

Holger

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
13,106 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Garmisch-Partenkirchen and Neushchwanstein castle in a day

Holger B,

I'm glad you included the bus lines for ease of travel. You should add that bus lines 1 &2 are identical at that end of town, so people can take whichever bus comes first. The two lines only diverge at the western end of town, where bus #2 goes to the Kreuzeckbahn and bus #1 goes around the American Kaserne.

I do have a question about what you wrote. What do you mean by: << Bus 1, only Mon to Sat>>? These busses run through the weekend, of course. They simply run less frequently on Sundays and holidays.

s

Inchicore, Dublin...
Level Contributor
975 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Garmisch-Partenkirchen and Neushchwanstein castle in a day

Hi,

just to mention that with Bayern Ticket the above only works on the weekends. As you have to get up early and during the week the bayern ticket is only valid from 09:00 am.

Day 2:

Munich Central 7:13 RE 59489 (only Sat, Sun) or 7:32 RB 5411 (daily)

Mittenwald arr. 08:53 or 09:27

From here the way goes to the Leutasch Gorge. You walk in direction to the village and then you turn left and follow the main roads (Karwendelst. and Innsbrucker St. to the Isar. Here you turn right into "Am Köberl". From here it is only a few mtr to the Leutasch. The entire walkway to the Gorge takes you not more than 10mins. The Leutasch Gorge has different walkways and is way more modern than the Partnachklamm. It is more suitable for families while the Partnach Gorge is wilder and probably a little more impressive.

On this map you have got a little overview: leutasch-klamm.de/fileadmin/…Klamm_Plan.pdf

First follow the green (old) walk way to the waterfall. Then take the blue one to the panorama bridge. From there you can take the red way till the end of the gorge. The light red way brings you back to your start point.

I would calculate about 2 hours for this.

You might know that Mittenwald is one of the European centres for violine production. When you are in the city centre, have a look at the different workshops. Maybe you can just enter one of them to see how a violine is being produced. More information you find here: itcwebdesigns.com/tour_germany/violin1.htm. You should definitely stop by the museum.

I would at least calculate another two hours for this. And then you also need a break for some lunch....

Mittenwald station 14:00 Bus 9608 (14:46 on Sat, Sun)

Wallgau, Bichl arr. 14:16 / dep. 14:34 Bus 9608

Walchensee Herzogstandbahn arr. 14:46 (15:15 on Sat, Sun)

The Walchensee is a lake in the middle of the Alps. You have different opportunities here: If it is really hot, take your bathing suits with you and enjoy the cold water of this lake, even in mid summer. Or you take the cable car all the way up to Herzogstand. You can enjoy the breathtaking view from there or just have a drink and a snack at the Berggasthof. See here (only German): http://www.berggasthaus-herzogstand.de/ and here: www.herzogstandbahn.de/index.php?id=0,114

Walchensee Herzogstandbahn: 16:46 (17:15 on Sat, Sun) Bus 9608

Kochel station arr. 17:06 (17:35 on Sat, Sun)

The bus takes the Kesselbergst, a famous mountain pass road (you can walk downhill along the old road) with lots of serpentines. In Kochel you only have a few minutes left to visit the Franz - Marc - Museum. Franz Marc was one of the German Expressionists, who lived in this region. You can certainly leave this museum out and head directly to the next station. After that it is only one train station to Benediktbeuern.

Kochel 17:45

Benediktbeuern 17:51

The Benediktbeuern monastery is only a few meters away from the train station. Though today the monastery in Ettal is the better known and more tourisitc one, actually Benediktbeuern is the older one, with its roots dating back into the 8th century (check fo rthe opening hours). Also here there is a beautiful church out of the baroque period. You might not have time for the small museum, dedicated to Joseph v. Fraunhofer, who made optical glasses here and is now known as the name giver for the Fraunhofer Society for Applied Sciences. Have a look at the entire site as well and then have your dinner at the traditional restaurant.

Benediktbeuern 19:51 RB 59628

Munich Central arr. 20:59

Again I need to mention that the Bayern Ticket only works over the weekend, as during the week it is only valid from 09:00 am on.

@swandav: yes that's right with the bus connections in Garmisch, however this one is only operated Mon to Fri (Sat), and it might not make sense to wait for the next bus for almost an hour (however just check against the timetable, and decide what suits to you). Next tour to follow.

Holger

Edited: 11 May 2014, 08:26