We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Purchasing a Bayern Ticket Early?

Which Munich hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Franklin, Tennessee
1 post
2 reviews
Save Topic
Purchasing a Bayern Ticket Early?

My family of four will be traveling from Munich to Salzburg on May 29. I have found a Bayern Ticket on the DB website..I understand the Bayern tickets are from 9:00 am on but the website shows an 8:54 am departure for 35 euros(the bayern price) so I can only assume they allow this earlier (by 6 minutes) departure. Is it wise to go ahead and purchase now online? I assume there is some risk to this particular train selling out?? Thanks for your help!!

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
36,574 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Purchasing a Bayern Ticket Early?

> so I can only assume they allow this earlier (by 6 minutes) departure.

No. It is allowed to travel on the 29th May 2014 before 9am as this is a public holiday (Ascension Day).

> Is it wise to go ahead and purchase now online?

No. You can buy the Bayern Ticket on spot from the ticket machines for the same price. As this ticket comes with no change no refund buying in advance bears always some risks.

> I assume there is some risk to this particular train selling out??

Cannot sell out. Bayern Ticket is only good for regional trains. No reservations with regional trains possible at all. As this train starts at München Hbf just be there in time (10-15 min) before departure and you'll have no problems to secure seats for you.

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
3,696 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Purchasing a Bayern Ticket Early?

P.S. If you want to use a Bayern Ticket a few minutes before 9 a.m., you can, if you buy an extra ticket.

This is how it works: Research your train connection, click on "show details for all". You'll see the intermediate stops of your train. Buy a Bayern Ticket and a regular ticket for the first stop your train reaches after 9 a.m. If you're starting just 5 minutes early, the regular ticket can't be that expensive, and might make it possible for you to start at, say, 8:55 instead of 9:55

There is no need to get off the train at any time. You can have two different tickets for your train journey, as long as all parts of your trip are covered. (For instance, I regularly travel to Munich with an MVV ticket plus a DB ticket.)

But, as has been said, the Bayern Ticket is valid before 9 a.m. on public holidays and also on weekends.

Edited: 11 May 2014, 06:42
3. Re: Purchasing a Bayern Ticket Early?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 May 2015, 06:16