We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

6 minutes too early for Bayern Ticket to Berchtesgaden

Chicago
Level Contributor
14 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
6 minutes too early for Bayern Ticket to Berchtesgaden

Hi - My husband and I plan on taking the 8:54 a.m. train from Munich to Berchtesgaden (arrive 11:37) on a Monday. We will store luggage at the Berchtesgaden station, eat a quick lunch, then go to the 1:15 eagle's nest tour by David and Christine Harper that leaves from the visitor's center. Afterwards we'll take bus 840 to Salzburg where we'll be spending the night.

Based on the DB Bahn site, the Bayern ticket is not valid until 9AM. I don't want to leave past 9 (next train in 9:55) to allow for time if we miss the connection in Freilassing and to allow time to eat lunch and store luggage.

Are there several stop on the train from Munich to Freilassing? Can I buy a ticket to the first stop from Munich then use a Bayern ticket the rest of the way, including the bus to Salzburg? I'm trying to save a few dollars. Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Berchtesgaden
Berchtesgaden
Upper Bavaria, Germany
Salzburg
Salzburg
Salzburg Region, Austria
Freilassing
Freilassing
Upper Bavaria, Germany
Munimondo Tours
Sightseeing Tours
OzTour Munich
City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Beer Tastings & Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Guide in Munich Irena Radchenko
Sightseeing Tours, City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours
Little Bavaria Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Day Trips
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
10,771 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 6 minutes too early for Bayern Ticket to Berchtesgaden

Unless another expert proves me wrong, I don't see how you can save money by breaking this trip.

Here is the schedule

Munich - Freilassing, passing Übersee at 09:02 (this sector by Meridian train)

Freilasssing - Berchtesgaden, departing at 09:47 (this sector by BLB S4)

www.blb.info/default_en.asp?b=1&m=1&lang=en

The cost of Munich to Übersee would be € 19.20

Mentioned in this post
Freilassing
Freilassing
Upper Bavaria, Germany
Berchtesgaden
Berchtesgaden
Upper Bavaria, Germany
Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
4,782 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 6 minutes too early for Bayern Ticket to Berchtesgaden

You can certainly do what you had in mind, that is buy two tickets to use on this trip. The train to Berchtesgaden that leaves at Munich central station at 8:54 will reach Munich East at 9:04. So you'd need a Bayern Ticket and a single ticket to Munich East, which will cost you EUR 2.60. You'd need an MVV single ticket.

To see all intermediate stops for a train, you'd first research the connection, then click on "show details for all" (bottom left), then on "show intermediate stops".

Btw, you don't have to do anything at Munich East. Just have the two tickets with you and stay seated. Remember you need to validate the single MVV ticket. You might have to go downstairs, since this is where the S-Bahn leaves and where the machines to validate the tickets are. Then, go back upstairs and take your train.

Mentioned in this post
Berchtesgaden
Berchtesgaden
Upper Bavaria, Germany
Munich, Germany
Destination Expert
for Munich
Level Contributor
3,567 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 6 minutes too early for Bayern Ticket to Berchtesgaden

Petra/ OP - if the single ticket is bought at a Deutsche Bahn machine (so one of those in the station near the platforms) its already pre-validated by default.

Rayleigh, United...
Destination Expert
for Seoul, Rothenburg
Level Contributor
12,676 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 6 minutes too early for Bayern Ticket to Berchtesgaden

Of course you could board train at Ostbahnhof instead if that is closer to your hotel. But boarding at Hbf allows you to be unrushed as train will be already standing there. If you need transport from hotel to Hbf, that ticket may well cover the ride from Hbf to Ostbahnhof.

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
39,954 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 6 minutes too early for Bayern Ticket to Berchtesgaden

> that ticket may well cover the ride from Hbf to Ostbahnhof.

For sure. It covers any trip by local public transport inside Munich.

> if we miss the connection in Freilassing and to allow time to eat lunch

This risk is low. There is only one possible change of trains at Freilassing (i.e. changing to the train towards Berchtesgaden) and thus they will take care that you can make it.

> Can I buy a ticket to the first stop from Munich then use a Bayern ticket the rest of the way, including the bus to Salzburg?

Yes. But this was indirectly already answered anyway.

Mentioned in this post
Freilassing
Freilassing
Upper Bavaria, Germany
Berchtesgaden
Berchtesgaden
Upper Bavaria, Germany
Salzburg
Salzburg
Salzburg Region, Austria
Chicago
Level Contributor
14 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 6 minutes too early for Bayern Ticket to Berchtesgaden

Thank you all for your replies, very helpful. I finally found where I can view all stops the train makes on the the DB site and you put my mind at ease about the one connection I need to make. I likely will buy the ticket to east Munich then use the pass the remainder if the trip. Thanks!!!

Chicago
Level Contributor
14 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 6 minutes too early for Bayern Ticket to Berchtesgaden

Hi, Just wanted to report back in case anyone else will find this post helpful. I purchased the Bayern ticket and a zone 1 ticket to get to Munich East. The train conductor never checked my zone 1 ticket so it probably wasn't necessary, but also probably isn't worth risking it to not have it. The 3 minute connection time in Freilassing was more than enough time, even with our 2 large suitcases. The train from Munich stopped on track 2 and the train to Berchtesgaden was waiting about 5 feet away on track 3. We were able to board, get our luggage settled, sit down, and wait a few minutes before the train pulled out. We also used our Bayern ticket that night to take the 840 bus from Berchtesgaden to Salzburg.

Mentioned in this post
Freilassing
Freilassing
Upper Bavaria, Germany
Berchtesgaden
Berchtesgaden
Upper Bavaria, Germany
Salzburg
Salzburg
Salzburg Region, Austria
greeley, CO
Level Contributor
2,950 posts
482 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 6 minutes too early for Bayern Ticket to Berchtesgaden

Thanks for the update. I wish everyone would do that!

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,069 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 6 minutes too early for Bayern Ticket to Berchtesgaden

Good of you to report back. Glad it worked out.

Redhill, United...
Level Contributor
25 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 6 minutes too early for Bayern Ticket to Berchtesgaden

Good afternoon all,

I saw this post and I am having a similar dilemma. I am staying at the Angelo Hotel Westpark, situated near the Harras underground station and will be taking the trip to Berchtesgaden this Saturday (14th June). My original plan was to travel to the Haufbahnhof and get the 8.55 train as detailed above. However after reading all of your replies, I was thinking of doing the following:

Getting the X5 bus from Harras at 8.26am to Ostbahnhof arriving at 8.46am to then purchase a Bayern ticket and hop on the 09.04 train to Berchtesgaden (changing at Freilassing).

I am having trouble finding out how much the bus costs from Harras to Ostbahnhof, can somebody please shed some light on this for me? Also, how do the buses in Munich work, is there a ticket machine at the bus station or do you pay for a ticket when boarding the bus?

Additionally, if somebody thinks there is a better plan, could you please let me know?

One last thing, do I need to book the tickets/reservation in advance because it is early on a Saturday morning?

Many thanks :) :) (Ps. SOOOO excited)

Edited: 09 June 2014, 14:13
Mentioned in this post
Berchtesgaden
Berchtesgaden
Upper Bavaria, Germany
Freilassing
Freilassing
Upper Bavaria, Germany