We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Reliable car rental company !

Which Munich hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Irvine, California
Level Contributor
328 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Reliable car rental company !

Hello,

after reading some reviews here regarding car rental companies, we would like your kind advise - which are the most reliable and not to expensive car rentals companies in Munich airport?

or - near the airport?

Also - if we want to travel out of Germany to the nearest country, what are the best terms to do it?

thank you so much !!

all the best -

Tal

Stuttgart, Germany
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
7,234 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Reliable car rental company !

Picking a rental up at the airport or /main station is mostly about 20% more expensive.

There are too many problems reported with Dollar/Thrifty so I would avoid. I have used Hertz and Sixt for years with few problems. Avis and Budget are also fine. Europcar are OK but I always find them much more expensive.

Whichever company you decide to use read the terms and conditions . As for driving out of Germany it depends to which country, Austria and Switzerland are no problem. The Czech Republic is more difficult as only certain cars are allowed to be taken there and there may well be an extra charge for special insurance.

Sixt and Hertz have big 24 hour offices in central Munich and I would book from there, the others most likely also have these

Irvine, California
Level Contributor
328 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Reliable car rental company !

Oh, thank you so much for your kind and detailed reply.

We will have to consider what is the best option.

Are there any more fees that we need to know about? like in the borders etc.?

thank you -

Tal

Stuttgart, Germany
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
7,234 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Reliable car rental company !

The major roads in Austria require a toll sticker, I think 5 days costs about €9, in Switzerland the motorway sticker is about €32 and only for a year

Gambrills, MD
Destination Expert
for Fussen
Level Contributor
2,922 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Reliable car rental company !

I recommend the rental car consolidator Gemut. They are based in Oregon but specialize in German and Austrian car rentals. They deal with all the major rental companies, have competitive prices and their customer service is outstanding. Once somehow I was double-billed for a rental. One email to Gemut, and the problem was solved. They will give you good advice about car rentals, too.

Paradise, California
Destination Expert
for Rhineland-Palatinate
Level Contributor
5,925 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Reliable car rental company !

"Are there any more fees that we need to know about?"

If you're used to parking for free at hotels back home - like I am - you should inquire about such fees in Germany. They're quite common.

In Germany you are required to pay an additional fee for winter tires.

Like Austria, Switzerland imposes a €33 vignette fee as well.

European gas taxes are surprising. Current gas prices in Germany are about $8.50/gallon as a result.

Don't know if you've considered train travel but in Germany it tends to be very efficient and economical. You are landing in Bavaria (which covers a huge area from the Alps nearly to Frankfurt) where the Bavaria day pass gets two adults a day of rail access for €27. No airport fees, no surcharges, no door-ding deductibles, no accident worries, no speeding ticket concerns, no rental contracts, no shady agents. Trains go nearly everywhere and usually drop you right in the heart of town:

Bavarian rail network: www.bayern-fahrplan.de/streckennetzkarte.pdf

Bavaria ticket: www.munich-touristinfo.de/Bavaria-Ticket.htm

Edited: 21 May 2014, 02:28
San Jose, CA
Destination Expert
for Wengen, Jungfrau Region
Level Contributor
2,538 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Reliable car rental company !

Agree with Russ about public transport in the region. Unless there is some major reason you MUST rent a car it can be a real pain. I know that we Americans (and we Californians in particular) are wedded to our cars but you would do well to re-think this approach. We are from San Jose CA and have been to Munich/Bavaria and surrounds 30+ times. The only time we rent a car is if we are staying in some place like Berchtesgaden with family/friends along for a short period of time and want to get around to the major sites quickly. Otherwise we train/bus/tram it. Works perfectly, often it is faster to get to your destination than driving, much less expensive, and you get to look out the window instead of looking at a map or the road in front of you. Easy breezy. No stress.

If you must rent a car, I second the recommendation for gemut.com. I wouldn't think of renting a car in a German-speaking country other than through them. If nothing else, go to their website and download their very informative guide about car rentals in Europe.

Also highly recommend looking into the American Express premier car rental deal. For $25 you get $100K of first-tier (i.e., your US-based car insurance company learns nothing about any accidents or claims therefore doesn't jack up your premiums) insurance for up to 42 consecutive days. That's $25 for the entire rental period, not per day. It's free to sign up but you must register for it and, of course have an Amex card to do so. Best deal going, IMO. Don't depend on your VISA/MC coverage when you can get a deal like this.

San Jose, CA
Destination Expert
for Wengen, Jungfrau Region
Level Contributor
2,538 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Reliable car rental company !

Oops, forgot to give you the link to the Amex rental car insurance.

https:/…home.do

Knoxville, TN
Destination Expert
for Interlaken
Level Contributor
4,691 posts
292 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Reliable car rental company !

Oh yes - the American love affair with the rental car. Isn't it amazing how we're brainwashed from our own lack of decent public transportation in the USA???

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
16,112 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Reliable car rental company !

i have used all the majors in munich airport, and never had a problem with any. the trick is to read the terms and conditions BEFORE you book or sign anything. there can be extras such as scdw, refuelling charges, admin charges for providing details to police if you transress, etc. a lot of people get caught out by these, and then complain. i use a comparison site called "travel supermarket" for assessing the best deal. they include a summary of what is included.

when getting a quote, check if normal cdw (with excess) is included or not. a few companies will quote for americans without cdw, as SOME cc s cover this. unfortunately a lot of cc insurance is not acceptable and you will be stuck with purchasing the cover when collecting the car.

if travelling after end of october, you will be charged for winter tyres.

if going to austria, a toll sticker is required, which you can purchase as you enter the country. cost is 8.5€ for 10 days. for switzerland, you have to purchase an ANNUAL vignette for around 35€. if going to france, there are tool booths on the autoroutes, pay as you go.

Irvine, California
Level Contributor
328 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Reliable car rental company !

Ohh, thank you ALL for the very informative guidance and generous help!!

I really start thinking maybe to take a train wouldn't be so bad.. we are so used to rent cars etc than the public transportation..

Reading the terms and condition BEFORE renting is obvious but sooo necessary!! As we are going to Prague and not Swiss there may be more restrictions as I already read in Avis terms...

My only concern is that there maybe not many trains from Prague to Munich during the day, and all the details of where to buy tickets etc.

I don't want to shorten my visit because of a train schedule yet..

All the best and thank you all VERY MUCH !!!

Tal