We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Iterniary Suggestions for Southern Germany

Which Munich hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Iterniary Suggestions for Southern Germany

I'm in need of some opinions and suggestions on my Southern Germany itinerary in September 2014:

Fly into Munich

Munich (3 nights)

Nuremberg (2 nights)

Rothenberg (1 night)

Heidelberg (1 night)

Fussen & Landsberg (Day trip)

Zugspitze, Garmisch-Partenkirchen (Day Trip)

Munich (2 nights)

Fly out

1)Would it be easier to travel from Heidleberg straight back to Munich, then take day trips to Fussen and Zugspitze?

2) Is Nuremberg worth 2 days?

3)Should I cut Landsberg out?

4) What is the best train ticket to connect me to all these places?

Bayern looks like it's 26 euros for 2 people per day? Is there a better alternative?

5) Can I rent an Oktoberfest dress in Munich or is buying the only option?

greeley, CO
Level Contributor
2,548 posts
399 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Iterniary Suggestions for Southern Germany

Heidelberg isn't in Bavaria, so you will need a different ticket to/from there. Bayern ticket is great for the other trips. What do you plan on doing in Landsberg? Only you can decide if you should include it. I stayed there one night, but just because i was cycling and it was where I pooped out! I think I would stay in the Fuessen/Zugspitze area overnight rather than make the train trip both days.

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Iterniary Suggestions for Southern Germany

bigtyke -

since heidelberg is not in Bavaria would you recommend Ausburg instead?

I know there is something in every city I want to see, however, I have not figured that all out. I wanted to make a circle around southern germany and end it back in munich.

greeley, CO
Level Contributor
2,548 posts
399 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Iterniary Suggestions for Southern Germany

It depends on what you want to see. I have been twice to Heidelberg, only cycled once through Augsburg w/o seeing anything.

Plattsmouth Ne
Level Contributor
341 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Iterniary Suggestions for Southern Germany

Landsberg is my favorite city in Bavaria. If you like small medieval walled cities with lots of gate towers good restaurants, bakeries, museums, great archetecture, baroque churches, on a scenic river with a waterfall, that is not over run with tourists, you shouldent eliminate it. Meiner Meinung nach

Columbia, Missouri
Level Contributor
2,152 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Iterniary Suggestions for Southern Germany

"If you like small medieval walled cities with lots of gate towers good restaurants, bakeries, museums, great archetecture, baroque churches, on a scenic river with a waterfall, that is not over run with tourists,"

Joseph, have you ever found anybody that doens't like this?? HAHA ; )

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Iterniary Suggestions for Southern Germany

JosephPlattsmouthNe-

Is Landsberg a city you can see with a day trip since it's so close to Munich?

According to Trip Advisor, Augsburg is #4 city to see in Bavaria. Like I said before, every city has something interesting to see. I just want to explore as much as possible in a reasonable time frame, take a train to all these destinations and avoid carrying my luggage around on a day trips.

It makes sense to go straight from Rothenberg to Fussen but does anyone know if they have a locker or something to hold our luggage/backpack while we explore? Then, we could see the Neuschwanstein castle for a couple of hours then head straight to Garmisch-Partenkirchen. Has anyone stayed here overnight?

Plattsmouth Ne
Level Contributor
341 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Iterniary Suggestions for Southern Germany

Landsberg is an easy day trip from Munich. I spend yearly vacations there and make frequent day trips to Munich and other area attractions. Landsberg is a plesant little Bavarian city, great for a relaxing day of walking, exploring, sight seeing, dining, and shopping.

And Cardinal,

I still have to laugh when I recall your May 18, 2012 comments regarding the preperation and serving of the Ratskeller potato salad, during that interesting "Bavarian Food" forum exchange.

Florida
Level Contributor
2,219 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Iterniary Suggestions for Southern Germany

Between Fussen and Munich is a small town I visit a couple times every year, Prien am Chiemsee.

It is famous, because one of Ludwig's castles is on a small island in theChiesee (lake). I really love this little town! In fact, I am waiting at the Atlanta airport to take me to Munich, and then it is a short train ride south to Prien.

http://www.herrenchiemsee.de/index.htm

http://tourismus.prien.de/en/

I always stay at a very nice family-run hotel in town (Hotel Bayerischerhof). It is near the train station and a short, scenic walk down to the lake.

http://bayerischerhof-prien.de/

Columbia, Missouri
Level Contributor
2,152 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Iterniary Suggestions for Southern Germany

Ahhhhh yes, Joseph, I had forgotten about the “Great Potato Salad Debate of ’12”!! haha I had to go back and read the whole post again.

“As for the making of the potato salad at the Ratskeller, I personally don’t care if they have a one eye’d rat making it with a stick in the Glockenspiel and throwing it down to tourists with our mouths open…..it’s pretty good.”

hahaha

Plattsmouth Ne
Level Contributor
341 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Iterniary Suggestions for Southern Germany

I love it! Thanks again.

Edited: 22 May 2014, 04:18