We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ICE train from Munich to Nuremberg

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
50 posts
Save Topic
ICE train from Munich to Nuremberg

Hi all,

I wish to travel from Munich to Nuremberg via ICE train, is there a difference in price if I purchased a ticket in advance compared to purchase a ticket at the train station?

I have read some post suggesting there are 2 routes that I may take, and one of the more scenic route will be via leigzig, I have just checked Bahn website and cannot locate the choice of train route, all I can see is merely to type in the departure station and arrival station only. Can someone please shed some light on this issue.

Thank you. Good day.

Seyne

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
38,634 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: ICE train from Munich to Nuremberg

If you buy in advance you can get this trip from EUR 19. If you buy on spot it will cost you EUR 55. Not a question where you buy, but when you buy.

railway map Bavaria

bahnland-bayern.de/tl_files/bahnland-bayern/…

If you want to travel on an ICE train (= fast) take the direct route via Ingolstadt. While one could also travel via Augsburg or Regensburg these route are not really more scenic and won't warrant the detour.

> and one of the more scenic route will be via leigzig,

Leizpig or not is an option between Berlin and Nuremberg (or Munich). But not when traveling from Nuremberg to Munich.

> cannot locate the choice of train route, all I can see is merely to type in the departure station and arrival station only.

If you enter a stopover you can enforce specific routes. E.g.

Via (1): Augsburg Hbf

Portland, Oregon USA
Level Contributor
2,707 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: ICE train from Munich to Nuremberg

On the German Rail website www.bahn.de punch in the date and time of your expected journey. Three options will pop up. Click on the ">" button on the left of the journey you wish to take. The "Details" of the trip will expand which shows you platform numbers and train types and numbers. Look for the ">" button next to the words "Show intermediate stops" and every stop the train will make will be displayed.

Leipzig is no where near Munich or Nuremberg, but near Berlin. It would be an option if you meant to travel from Munich to Berlin or from Nuremberg to Berlin. As mention above, if you want to make a stopover or go through a specific city, punch in the correct cities in the "Start" and "Destination" boxes and then enter the stopover in the "Via" box.

Tickets purchased in advance can offer significant savings on the fast ICE trains.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
50 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: ICE train from Munich to Nuremberg

Hi,

Thanks a lot for the information shared. May I ask, in order to save on the ICE ticket, how many days in advance must I buy the ticket? Will I be receiving a confirmation of ticket purchased via email? Do I have to produce the confirmation letter to any counter at the station to get something like boarding pass?

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
4,251 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: ICE train from Munich to Nuremberg

If you want the price of EUR 19, you should buy your ticket as soon as possible. This would be about three months in advance. I just did a dummy search for your connection for August 27, which was the first day for which I could have booked a ticket, and I got one connection for EUR 19, several for EUR 29 or EUR 39.

When you buy the ticket online, you can pay by credit card and you must print out the ticket. It is not valid if you only show it on a computer. You also need to have the original credit card with you, even if it has expired in the meantime - this serves as ID.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
50 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: ICE train from Munich to Nuremberg

Thanks a lot, my desired travelling date will be in mid Oct 2014, will try to see if can purchase the ticket now.

Nuremberg, Germany
Level Contributor
8,446 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: ICE train from Munich to Nuremberg

No you can't, it is to early. You can buy them only 90 days ahead of travel date.

7. Re: ICE train from Munich to Nuremberg

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 May 2015, 05:16