We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Few days in Munich

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
26 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Few days in Munich

Hi everyone,

I will be in Munich for a few days in July, and will be meeting my Grandmother (who is from Berlin) there. Just looking for suggestions for things we should do, we are staying in the city centre (I am 22, she is 75- excessive walking may be a deal breaker for certain things).

Thank you :)

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
18,547 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Few days in Munich

What are your interests? and hers?

I loved the Residenz & Treasurery & the various art galleries

take a day trip to Salzburg - its a flat 10 min walk from the station to the city centre but if necessary you can get a bus. Get the funicular railway up to the castle for amazing views

Lots more in the 'things to do' link n the green bar at the top of the page

and check out www.munich.de

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
28,573 posts
537 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Few days in Munich

Very difficult to tell because I am not sure you want to take someone who is 75 years old to a Beer Garden or venture out to Dachau. Nor would I believe they would be as interested in cars. Perhaps check on some local museums in the area. Very difficult for us to know what her interests are.

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
18,547 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Few days in Munich

excuse me Jordanbulls - but my father in law is well over 75 and he would love to visit a beer garden! You win this weeks silly comment award IMO

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
28,573 posts
537 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Few days in Munich

Well I am speaking more of a generalization. Also the OP mentioned it was his grandmother and it is normal for men to be much more interested in drinking than women are. Even though women may like to drink as well.

Edited: 08 June 2014, 07:21
sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
18,547 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Few days in Munich

quit while you are ahead

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
4,141 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Few days in Munich

But you don't only go to the beer garden to drink beer. You also go there to enjoy the sunshine and have a meal outdoors. All restaurants are required by law to offer non-alcoholic options as well. I can recommend "Apfelschorle", which is half apple juice and half mineral water.

Frankfurt
Destination Expert
for Frankfurt
Level Contributor
5,814 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Few days in Munich

I don't even drink beer and I also enjoy going to a beer garden. Just because someone is older (and a woman) doesn't mean they don't enjoy the same things that others do. Why would grandma not want to go to Dachau? I don't get that comment at all, as it makes no sense.

thmoore is right.

Florida
Destination Expert
for Munich
Level Contributor
1,493 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Few days in Munich

I agree with the earlier postings. If this elderly person is in pretty good shape, likes to walk a short while, etc. Both the Residenz und Englischer Garten are great ideas... Perhaps the BMW Museum would be a great third option.

9. Re: Few days in Munich

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 June 2015, 06:15