We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taking my son to the country of his birth.

Macon, Georgia
Level Contributor
362 posts
90 reviews
Save Topic
Taking my son to the country of his birth.

My husband and I are doing some early planning for a trip to take my son and wife to see where he was born. He was born in Nurnburg but we lived in a little town called Hemhofen, near Erlangen. We fly into Munich or Frankfurt and out vice versa... or fly in and out of the same city, which one makes the most sense? We would like to see more than just the towns mentioned.. We would have 7 nights on the ground. We prefer most of the trip by train but realize we have to rent a car for the trip around Erlangen.

When my husband and I travel, we usually enjoy the towns right outside the big cities better than the huge city. Had thought of 2 nights right outside of Munich (or Frankfurt) then on to Nurnburg for 3-4 night and do some day tripping out of there. Then on to our city of departure for last night or 2 in town very near the airport. Thanks for all ideas!

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
4,414 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taking my son to the country of his birth.

The plan sounds good to me, but what is your question?

To find hotels, try www.hotel.de or www.hrs.de

To get to Nürnberg from Munich, you can use the Bayern Ticket, which means that you only pay around EUR 30 for all of you. Check out www.bahn.de for details. You can only use the Bayern Ticket on local trains, and only after 9 a.m.

Were you looking for a small town outside Munich to stay? What are your interests? How about Tegernsee? There's a beautiful lake, and there's a boat across the lake, which is normal public transportation, that means it's not that expensive. Tegernsee is both the name of the town and of the lake.

I wouldn't fly in to Frankfurt unless it is considerably cheaper. The reason is that one week isn't that much time, and if you are planning to spend some time near Nürnberg anyway, it makes sense to be in Bavaria already - because of the Bayern Ticket, and also because it's not quite as far away.

Btw, Nürnberg has an airport, too, and the city is easily reached by subway from there. But I'm not sure whether you can get any good offers there from where you live.

Macon, Georgia
Level Contributor
362 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Taking my son to the country of his birth.

Thank you for your response... Yes , my question is mostly about the smaller cities/ towns? I will check airfare out of Nurnburg. I was also thinking fares might be quite high, but maybe I will be surprised.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
31,544 posts
588 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Taking my son to the country of his birth.

To fly in and out of Munich or Frankfurt depends on price which is cheaper probably and/or more a nonstop flight with no layovers. I assume you will be flying from Atlanta.

Delta seems to fly nonstop to Munich and Frankfurt and Lufthansa flies nonstop to Frankfurt.

4. Re: Taking my son to the country of his birth.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 June 2015, 05:17