We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Unusual things to do in munich (wine tasting??)

Level Contributor
46 posts
113 reviews
Save Topic
Unusual things to do in munich (wine tasting??)

Hi,

we are coming for 5 days to this years Oktoberfest and are camping near by. However, I cant imagine we will beable to drink beer for 5 days straight and the last day is my boyfriends birthday and a friends 21st 2 days later, so I thought I could find something unusual for us to do for the day? Can anyone recommend anything? Wine tasting? unsual tours? etc. Price isn't an issue.

we are all in our 20's :)

Thanks.

Dani.

Munimondo Tours
Sightseeing Tours
OzTour Munich
City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Beer Tastings & Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Guide in Munich Irena Radchenko
Sightseeing Tours, City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours
Little Bavaria Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Day Trips
Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
4,684 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Unusual things to do in munich (wine tasting??)

How about dinner in the dark? This is the restaurant: zum-blinden-engel.de/home/essen_im_dunkeln.p…

Unfortunately, the website seems to be only in German, but what it says is this:

There is a choice between three set meals: vegetarian, meat or fish.

The price is EUR 49.50.

The restaurant itself is completely dark. The waiters are blind, so they can find their way easily.

The restrooms are not dark. There will be someone waiting by your table to guide you there, if necessary.

I'd try it. I haven't been there myself yet, but it's definitely something special. Just write them an e-mail in English, they'll understand.

Dachau, Germany
Level Contributor
390 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Unusual things to do in munich (wine tasting??)

It is not easy to answer your question without knowing you. What might be special and unique for me may be boring for you. The following list are things that I find pretty unique activities:

Sunset Dinner at Restaurant 181 (in the revolving restaurant on top of the Olympic Tower)

http://restaurant181.com/181/en/Business/

Dinner at the smallest restaurant in Munich with a Michelin Star. You will not order from a menu, but instead the chef will see you at your table and ask for food, which you do not like or allergies and you decide how many courses (5 to 9 courses) you would like to eat. Then he will serve a surprise a dinner.

http://www.schweiger2.de/

Roof Climbing and Flying Fox (Olympic Stadion)

olympiapark.de/en/…

Tour through Munich in a historic tram, historic nightwatch tour, Bavarian Delecacies tour, Viktualienmarkt Tasting tour

http://www.stadtvogel.de/en/individuals.html

Mentioned in this post
Olympic Tower
Olympic Tower
1,082 Reviews
Munich, Germany
Flying Fox
Flying Fox
87 Reviews
Munich, Germany
Viktualienmarkt
Viktualienmarkt
2,651 Reviews
Munich, Germany
Munich
Munich
Upper Bavaria, Germany
Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Munich, Amsterdam, The Ardennes
Level Contributor
7,918 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Unusual things to do in munich (wine tasting??)

Maybe now you think you are not able to drink beer for five days. But you will.

Level Contributor
46 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Unusual things to do in munich (wine tasting??)

There all great... we love good food and good booze so anything that involves that really or anything unusual like the crime night and shows etc.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
33,906 posts
597 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Unusual things to do in munich (wine tasting??)

"Maybe now you think you are not able to drink beer for five days. But you will."

Well if you overdo it one day, I am sure you won't be drinking the next for sure.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
2,530 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Unusual things to do in munich (wine tasting??)

We've done a dining in the dark in San Francisco. The same concept with blind waiters and all the proceeds go to the helping the blind community. It was seriously one of the funnest things I've ever done. I haven't laughed that hard in a LONG time!

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
2,530 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Unusual things to do in munich (wine tasting??)

I don't drink beer at all but love wine. I would be interested if there are any wine tasting opportunities anywhere? I do love the German white wines.

Thanks so much!

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
176 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Unusual things to do in munich (wine tasting??)

Why not plan a day trip to G-P and do the Zugspitze? That is memorable trip to the highest mountain in Germany. A fitting birthday trip for sure.

Mentioned in this post
Zugspitze
Zugspitze
3,187 Reviews
Garmisch-Partenkirchen, Germany
Germany
Germany
Europe
Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
2,530 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Unusual things to do in munich (wine tasting??)

Can someone tell me, looking at the dining in the dark website… are there no opportunities to dine there from the July 21st until the end of August? I'm going to be there July 28th, through the 31st. I just want to make sure I'm reading this right.

Thanks so much.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
2,640 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Unusual things to do in munich (wine tasting??)

I wonder about a raft trip down the Isar. (My daughter did this on the Isar or some other river close by.) No booze. Munich is not in a wine-growing region. For a mix I would go out to Schleissheim - tour the palace (better than Nymphenburg IMHO) and the aircraft museum with lunch outdoors on the palace grounds inbetween. All are a short walk from the S-Bahn station. Dachau is a "sobering" experience - not to be taken lightly. A day trip down to the abbey near the Ammersee? Kloster Etal or the Wies Church? Etal is home a a liquour.

Mentioned in this post
Ammersee
Ammersee
157 Reviews
Herrsching am Ammersee, Germany
Wies Church
Wies Church
665 Reviews
Steingaden, Germany
Munich
Munich
Upper Bavaria, Germany