We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 Days in Munich

Which Munich hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Galax, Virginia
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
3 Days in Munich

My 17 year old son and I will be spending 3 days in Munich the second week of July. He is a big history buff and I want to make the most of our 3 days. We will definitely be visiting Dachau, but I'm looking for any other must-see locations to make the most of our time there. Also, we are both foodies and looking for authentic, not touristy, restaurant suggestions.

Thanks in advance!!!

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
25,273 posts
523 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 Days in Munich

Good choice on going to Dachau. Check out the things to do for Munich here.

tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g187309-Activiti…

tripadvisor.com/…TtD

I'm not sure of the rest of your interests. You have museums you can go to such as the Deutsches Museum, BMW Museum, etc. You have the Third Reich tours as well.

Put together an itinerary of things you know he would want to see and you as well and then you have an idea of how to go about it.

r c
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,666 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 Days in Munich

mzipprich,

i will be there in early Sept.

Try googling or looking on the right side for tips.

Depending on what floats your boat too.

Florida
Destination Expert
for Munich
Level Contributor
1,493 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 Days in Munich

If your son is truly a History Buff, then I HIGHLY recommend Der Residenz, the BMW WELT Museum, Dachau, the Hofbrauhaus for lunch, even thought it's "touristy", and the Alte & Neu Pinakothek (Old n; New pic galleries), are BOTH an absolute must-see!

Columbia, Missouri
Level Contributor
2,152 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 3 Days in Munich

For WWII history, Berchtesgaden had LOTS, with the Kehlsteinhaus (Hitler’s Eagles Nest), the Dokumentation Center, the underground bunkers and just the Obersalzburg in general.

uncommon-travel-germany.com/hitlers-eagles-n…

http://www.hotel-zum-tuerken.de/bunker.html

www.obersalzberg.de/obersalzberg-home.html…

But since you only have 3 days in Munich, I’m not sure it’s worth taking a whole day to go visit Berchtesgaden. You’ll already be spending a half a day at Dachau (which should be a must for him).

@ “but I'm looking for any other must-see locations to make the most of our time there. Also, we are both foodies and looking for authentic, not touristy, restaurant suggestions.”

- You must visit the Hofbräuhaus. It is a must-see location, the have good food, it is touristy but there are also loads of locals there too, and it’s VERY authentic. Make sure you walk about it and see all the different parts of it, even the part where there were many WWII speeches given.

http://www.hofbraeuhaus.de/en/index_en.html

At the bottom of the menu below, it shows all the different parts of the Hofbräuhaus.

hofbraeuhaus.de/de/00/speisekarte_standard_e…

And remember, in Germany you son is old enough for a bier!!

Have fun planning!!

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
25,273 posts
523 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 3 Days in Munich

"- You must visit the Hofbräuhaus. It is a must-see location, the have good food, it is touristy but there are also loads of locals there too, and it’s VERY authentic. Make sure you walk about it and see all the different parts of it, even the part where there were many WWII speeches given."

Yep, it is a must even if you don't eat anything. Just get a beer and look around the entire place.

Galax, Virginia
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 3 Days in Munich

Thank you all for your suggestions! We are a week out from our trip and very excited! :)

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
25,273 posts
523 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 3 Days in Munich

Nice you will enjoy it!!

8. Re: 3 Days in Munich

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 June 2015, 05:16