We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sightseeing with a 7yr old son.

Which Munich hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
18 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Sightseeing with a 7yr old son.

Hi, I will be in Munich for 6 days from July 22nd with my 7 year old son. The only sights which I have planned upto now are Marienplatz & Englischer Garten.

We would like to book a tour to Neuschwanstein. Can anyone recommend a tour group which might be suitable for children or which one's to avoid because they would be too boring for a child?

Any other recommendations for things to do, places to visit or tours to take with a 7 year old boy. We don't like boring museums, we like hands-on activities, boat trips, swimming, adventures.

Also, firstly we will be travelling from Gunzburg to Munich (evening train). Which would be the best ticket? I am thinking Bayern? Is there a Child's fare?

For public transport in Munich, is there a day ticket for us both?

Many thanks.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
24,374 posts
523 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sightseeing with a 7yr old son.

Try here.

tripadvisor.com/Guide-g187309-l233-Munich_Up…

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g187309-d1…

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g187309-d2…

San Francisco
Level Contributor
114 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sightseeing with a 7yr old son.

My six year old son's favorite museum was the hunting museum west of Marienplatz. He got bored of the Residenz fairly quickly. He also liked watching the surfers at the south end of the Englischer Garten.

Gambrills, MD
Destination Expert
for Fussen
Level Contributor
2,990 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sightseeing with a 7yr old son.

Your son may or may not like Neuschwanstein, but you will get the same tour inside whether you go with an organized tour or take the train on your own. My daughter enjoyed the adventure of the train. If you do go to Neuschwanstein, definitely reserve tour tickets on line in advance. Near Neuschwanstein also there is something like a luge, called a rodelbahn. This seems to be a big hit with kids. Here's a link or just search here in the forum. tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g187307-r136…

He and you might like Lake Chiemsee, a big lake between Munich and Salzburg. You can take a little steam train from the regular train station in Prien to the port, and then a boat to the islands.

If you venture further away from Munich, there are salt mines that you can tour near Salzburg. You dress in salt miners' uniforms and slide down a wooden slide, and during the tour you ride a boat across an underground lake. My daughter at age 10 loved it, and I did too.

Edited: 09 July 2014, 23:21
New York
Level Contributor
2,340 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sightseeing with a 7yr old son.

We spent a month in Germany with our (then) 8 year old daughter. We made a deal that she could do what she wanted for an hour or two each day - usually it was playing in a park with other kids there. For museums, we taugh her how the different saints died and how to tell them apart in the numerous religious paintins. A great favorite was judgment day, with all the fantastic monsters (always bottom right corner). German (Italian) ice cream is wonderous. Also afternoon pasteries. The zoos are generally good. My wife reminds me that she also liked the street markets.

Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
4,867 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Sightseeing with a 7yr old son.

The Deutsche Museum in Munich is anything than boring for a 7 year old kid. Model trains, real trains, real planes, ships, etc. Perfect place to go on a rainy day.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
24,374 posts
523 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sightseeing with a 7yr old son.

The Toy Museum will for sure appeal to a 7 year old and of course the other suggestions made by others will as well.

Boppard, Germany
Destination Expert
for Boppard
Level Contributor
1,734 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sightseeing with a 7yr old son.

Public transport in Munich:

There are day tickets at reduced price for children. If you get a weekly ticket for yourself, you can take a child along after 9 a.m.

More details:

mvv-muenchen.de/en/…index.html

London, Canada
Level Contributor
42 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sightseeing with a 7yr old son.

How do you find the Salt Mine, do you have to take a tour or can you easily find it once in Salzburg? We will be staying in Munich.

Dawn

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
24,374 posts
523 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sightseeing with a 7yr old son.

"How do you find the Salt Mine, do you have to take a tour or can you easily find it once in Salzburg? We will be staying in Munich"

Better to start a new thread on that topic so you can get some feedback.

Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
4,867 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Sightseeing with a 7yr old son.

We have taken our boys when they 8 and 9 years old to the Salt Mine, about 5 or 6km outside of Berchtesgaden It is no the route B-305, the B'gdn - Salzburg route. They loved dressing up in the miner's uniform, riding the little carts and slidingf down the long wooden slide inside the mine. You can get to B'gdn by train and take the bus from the station to the mine stop, or take the train to Salzburg, and take the B'gdn bus from there. It stops at the mine. Check www.bahn.de for trains or busses; check "local transportation only"

. You can use the Bavarian ticket. Check for details under "Search".