We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Six hour layover

Which Munich hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
NJ
Level Contributor
519 posts
97 reviews
Save Topic
Six hour layover

I have a six hour layover on my way to Milan in October. Is there time to get into the city and see things before I have to get back to the airport for my flight? If so, what should we see -- it's a Saturday morning? Thanks

NJ
Level Contributor
519 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Six hour layover

Correction -- we can also do a 10 hour layover.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
24,478 posts
523 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Six hour layover

Yes you can go to the Town Center and see a few things, Take the S8 line to Marienplatz

Here is a map --> mvv-muenchen.de/fileadmin/media/Dateien/plae…

You can see the Neues Rathaus (New Town Center), Altes Rathaus (Old Town Center), St Peter, Munich Residenz, Feldherrnhalle, Odeonsplatz for sure to just get you started.

NJ
Level Contributor
519 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Six hour layover

Thank you.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
24,478 posts
523 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Six hour layover

So are you having a 6 hour layover or 10 hour layover?

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Berlin
Level Contributor
5,629 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Six hour layover

A few things to bear in mind. It will take you a good 30 minutes, if not more, to get off the plane, get through immigration (assuming you are entering the Schengen Zone at MUC) and get to the S-Bahn station. Trains are frequent, but take 45 minutes to get to town. So that's over 2 of your 6 hours, assuming the inbound plane is on time and allowing for the round-trip from the airport. You'd need to be back at the airport at least an hour before your flight to back through security and get to your gate. This would leave you maybe 2, 2.5. hours in Munich.

If you can, and you don't mind a late arrival in Milan, I'd do the 10 hour layover to be able to get any sort of enjoyable time in the city.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
24,478 posts
523 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Six hour layover

yeah the 10 hours is more practical no matter what city you are visiting if you want to be able to do something in the city. 2 hours-3 hours just isn't worth it for time.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
24,478 posts
523 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Six hour layover

@ Shellhead,

Did you end up choosing the 10 hour layover or 6 hour layover?

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
3,757 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Six hour layover

If you only have a 6 hour layover, you might go to Freising, instead of Munich.

NJ
Level Contributor
519 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Six hour layover

Actually went for the 4 1/2 hr layover.

10. Re: Six hour layover

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 August 2015, 05:15