We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Eating solo in Munich - restaurant recommendations

London
Level Contributor
160 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
Eating solo in Munich - restaurant recommendations

I'm travelling to Munich by myself in mid September.

Can anyone suggest any restaurants where I can eat by myself without feeling too self-conscious?

Would love a traditional German/Bavarian restaurant and then any other recommendations.

Perhaps somewhere not too busy where I won't feel too watched!!

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
31,410 posts
588 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Eating solo in Munich - restaurant recommendations

Hofbrauhaus is a good spot.

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
4,406 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Eating solo in Munich - restaurant recommendations

One recommendation for the "other" place - vegan, and with special "staff": http://www.cafe-katzentempel.de/

(This is in Türkenstr., quite centrally located).

I wouldn't recommend Hofbräuhaus if you don't want to be "watched". This place is loud and crowded. How about a beer garden instead, if the weather is nice? There is one in Englischer Garten, near Chinesischer Turm. They have these large tables, sharing is normal once the place gets busy (in the evening).

A traditional restaurant would be Bratwurstglöckl, right next to Marienplatz.

Plattsmouth Ne
Level Contributor
341 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Eating solo in Munich - restaurant recommendations

The Ratskeller serves traditional Bavarian food, is located on Marienplatz, and although a large restaurant, has seclued little nooks with small tables where a solo diner can feel comfortable. I often dine alone there, and never feel self conscious.

Inchicore, Dublin...
Level Contributor
1,101 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Eating solo in Munich - restaurant recommendations

Depends on what you are looking for. If you feel young and want to save money, you could eat in the students' pubs at Olympiazentrum (Olympic Centre, the so called Bierbar) or Studentenstadt (Students' town) - rather easy to find somebody to talk to there.

In the Fraunhoferstr. you will find a good and cheap Italian restaurant "Pasta et Basta".

The Schloßwirtschaft Schwaige close to Nymphenburg castle would be a typical bavarian restaurant and not too crowded.

You shouldn't worry, Munich is the capital of singles in Germany, just like London. Any restaurant would be ok.

Edited: 22 July 2014, 23:27
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,501 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Eating solo in Munich - restaurant recommendations

I travelled for a month solo through Italy 2 years ago and will embark on a solo vacation through Munich/Salzburg/Vienna/Innsbruck in a few months. Dining solo is the least on my worries. If anything, it makes it easy to strike up conversation with locals.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
2,579 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Eating solo in Munich - restaurant recommendations

Munich has so many good restaurants of all types. (Beware though some are based on the tourist trade and NOT repeat clients.) Eating alone in any of them - well, I do not see a problem. As to the brewery-connected restaurants, they usually have several levels in the same building, so if one does not suit you, another will. Are you sure you don't want to use the occasion to meet the locals? I sat at a common table and got to know 8 people as they came and went - all nice and interesting. You may also want to people watch yourself. As to the food - it can of course be pork and potatoes and dumplings with beer. But it can also be game and fish and mushrooms with local (not Munich area) wines. Stay away from beef. It's very lean and without a lot of flavor. The distinction betwwen German and Austrian food is not big, but it is there. Munich has several very good Austrian restaurants. And Austrian wines are excellent. Indeed, German and Austrian wines are a real bargain.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Munich, Amsterdam, The Ardennes
Level Contributor
7,746 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Eating solo in Munich - restaurant recommendations

Hofbrauhaus and many other brauhauses are very suitable because the atmosphere is great and you can join larger tables, so you don't have to sit alone.

Munich, Germany
Destination Expert
for Munich
Level Contributor
3,281 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Eating solo in Munich - restaurant recommendations

to echo the previous posters, it isnt a problem in the slightest.

any real Bavarian beer hall type place will have big tables that you have to squish in with someone anyhow.

Smaller cafes/ bars and the likes would have plenty of 2 or 4 person tables where you can sit on your own no problems, and from time to time you might have to share a couple of seats if the place is really busy but thats perfectly normal in Munich and nobody pays any remarks.

I spent 6 of my years living in munich as a single person and never had a problem or felt uncomfortable (however thats supposed to happen)

9. Re: Eating solo in Munich - restaurant recommendations

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 October 2015, 21:42
Rayleigh, United...
Destination Expert
for Seoul, Rothenburg
Level Contributor
12,252 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Eating solo in Munich - restaurant recommendations

I second Weisses Braeuhaus.

In many places sitting alone on a table won't happen. Tables are large and communal. Approach table and say " darf ich?" if you want to sit. Occupants will then smile and nod, gesture, or say "naturlich".