We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

9 Days in Munich

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
29 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
9 Days in Munich

Is this too much? This does not include our arrival or departure date (both early morning, coming in from the US). Originally I had planned to stay a few days in Munich, fly to Berlin, another day or two, fly to Prague, then back to Munich, but my husband seems to think that may be too much (he's usually right, I overplay). Assuming we take some day trips, and possible a train for an overnight in Prague, will we be able to keep ourselves busy enough, or should I look into multiple cities for our trip?

Mentioned in this post
Munich
Munich
Upper Bavaria, Germany
Berlin
Berlin
Germany
Prague
Prague
Bohemia, Czech Republic
Plattsmouth Ne
Level Contributor
341 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 9 Days in Munich

Munich boring????

This is what psychologists call a value judgement. What are the things that are twenty times more available in Berlin than in Munich? The OP deserves a better answer.

Mentioned in this post
Munich
Munich
Upper Bavaria, Germany
Berlin
Berlin
Germany
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
33,906 posts
597 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 9 Days in Munich

Well if you have 9 days you can split the time between Berlin and Munich, but it really depends on if you are doing day trips while in Munich as well. With 9 days, I would say 5-6 in Berlin and 3-4 in Munich (with 1-2 day trips for Munich)

Mentioned in this post
Berlin
Berlin
Germany
Munich
Munich
Upper Bavaria, Germany
sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
19,200 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 9 Days in Munich

I loved Munich and did not think it was at all boring. 3-4 days exploring Munich itself and day trips to Salzburg and a couple of days in Nuremberg would be great.

Berlin is an amazing city too - why not have a look at the 'things to do' links at the top of both forums and make a list of the things that interest you - this will hep you decide how to split your time if that is the way you decide to go.

If you post a draft itinerary, or at least a wish list it is much easier for people who have been to both cities for more than a day to offer suggestions and tweek your itinerary into something workable.

cheers

helen

Mentioned in this post
Munich
Munich
Upper Bavaria, Germany
Salzburg
Salzburg
Salzburg Region, Austria
Nuremberg
Nuremberg
Middle Franconia, Germany
Berlin
Berlin
Germany
Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
4,684 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 9 Days in Munich

You don't have to make this decision now. Book a hotel that will allow you to modify your plans. Then, you can stay in Munich for a few days, and then you can decide where else you'd like to go.

Do you want to see any of the castles? If so, I'd suggest to spend the night there, e.g. in Füssen for Neuschwanstein. You can also visit the castles near Lake Chiemsee, and then continue to Berchtesgaden, see the Eagle's Nest, if interested, and go on to Salzburg and Vienna.

I think Vienna is just as beautiful as Prague, and much more convenient since it's closer to Munich.

You could also do a day trip to Nürnberg, or spend a night there.

My advice would be: Plan your trip, including day trips or trips for several days. If I was planning this, it would probably look a bit like this:

1 night in Füssen

1 night in Nürnberg or in Rothenburg o.d. Tauber

1 night at lake Chiemsee

1 night in Berchtesgaden or Salzburg, wherever you can find a nicer hotel

2 nights in Vienna

3 nights in Munich.

Or something like that. Don't be tempted to dash off to Berlin or Prague or wherever. If you want to see Berlin and Munich, you'd have to skip some of the castles.

Mentioned in this post
Munich
Munich
Upper Bavaria, Germany
Lake Chiemsee
Lake Chiemsee
227 Reviews
Bavaria, Germany
Berchtesgaden
Berchtesgaden
Upper Bavaria, Germany
The Eagle's Nest
The Eagle's Nest
2,025 Reviews
Berchtesgaden, Germany
Salzburg
Salzburg
Salzburg Region, Austria
Vienna
Vienna
Vienna Region, Austria
Prague
Prague
Bohemia, Czech Republic
Rothenburg
Rothenburg
Middle Franconia, Germany
Berlin
Berlin
Germany
Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
29 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 9 Days in Munich

Thank you so much! I am definitely interested in the castles and will post my preferences and current itinerary later today. I do have a partial list already put together. I didn't even think of Vienna - I've been to Prague, love it, and want to share it with my husband who has never been, but I could certainly save it for a future trip.

Mentioned in this post
Vienna
Vienna
Vienna Region, Austria
Prague
Prague
Bohemia, Czech Republic
Maryland
Level Contributor
439 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 9 Days in Munich

If it helps, I'm planning my trip which includes 4 nights in Munich and I'm having to cut things I'd like to do. I am also doing 3 nights in Füssen, 2 in Garmisch-Partenkirchen, and 4 in Salzburg, all of which plenty of people do as day trips. So in my opinion (and this is from just from planning since I haven't been yet) you'd have plenty to do in the area in 9 days.

Mentioned in this post
Munich
Munich
Upper Bavaria, Germany
Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Upper Bavaria, Germany
Salzburg
Salzburg
Salzburg Region, Austria
New York
Level Contributor
625 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 9 Days in Munich

I will let you know when I return from 9 days in Munich myself -- flying back on aug 12th. I have day trips to Neuschwanstein Castle (all day biking and hiking and castle tour), day trip to Salzburg, day trip to Zugspitze, 1/2 day to Dauchau, maybe a trip to Eagles Nest and in Munich I am not going to rush myself.. residenz, a few museums (maybe even the bmw museum), the parks, a bike tour in munich. could i cut out a day or two ... probably.. but at least i know I won't have to be concerned with missing anything or rushing around to anything.. and i can sleep a little later at my hotel on the days i am not touring.

Mentioned in this post
Munich
Munich
Upper Bavaria, Germany
Salzburg
Salzburg
Salzburg Region, Austria
The Eagle's Nest
The Eagle's Nest
2,025 Reviews
Berchtesgaden, Germany
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
33,906 posts
597 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 9 Days in Munich

"I will let you know when I return from 9 days in Munich myself -- flying back on aug 12th"

sounds good, seems like you have decided on staying the 9 days in Munich using day trips to other places.

Mentioned in this post
Munich
Munich
Upper Bavaria, Germany
New York
Level Contributor
625 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 9 Days in Munich

Yes. Munich is my base. Didnt feel like shlepping my luggage every other or two days. To someplace else. Traveling solo.

I do have tonsay i was in Berlin for a long weekend a few Novembers ago.... Really liked that city... Lot of history i didnt know about.

Mentioned in this post
Munich
Munich
Upper Bavaria, Germany
Berlin
Berlin
Germany
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
33,906 posts
597 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 9 Days in Munich

"I do have to say i was in Berlin for a long weekend a few Novembers ago.... Really liked that city... Lot of history i didnt know about."

Well if you have been already to Berlin then I am glad should not be missed if visiting Germany. But Munich is great as well and if you have 9 days you will have plenty to do.

Edited: 26 July 2014, 04:38
Mentioned in this post
Berlin
Berlin
Germany
Germany
Germany
Europe
Munich
Munich
Upper Bavaria, Germany