We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Solo Traveller - 1 Day in Munich

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
26 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Solo Traveller - 1 Day in Munich

Hey All,

I will be arriving in Munich late evening on Friday and have full day Saturday for seeing the place !

Kindly advise on the places to visit, restaurants, local transport etc.

I will be staying at Hotel Brack, 80337 and would be fine to use the local transport !

I was reading about Olympiapark and seems its a must go !

Does the place have bungee jumping goin on ?

Also, is there any local transport option which is easy to figure out from Airport to Hotel Brack (for Friday evening arrival)??

P.S. : i do not know German(would learn a few sentences though :P)

Kindly advise !

THanks

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
26,025 posts
524 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Solo Traveller - 1 Day in Munich

Here is a map of the Network

mvv-muenchen.de/fileadmin/media/Dateien/plae…

So take the S1 from the Airport to Feldmoching and switch to the U2 towards Messestadt Ost then get off at Sendlinger Tor and switch to the U3 Fürstenried West. Get off at Poccistraße and then Head northeast on Lindwurmstraße toward Güllstraße

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
26 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Solo Traveller - 1 Day in Munich

Thanks a lot joransbulls !

how much would the cab cost me approximately ? from airport to hotel ?

also, any advise on how to go around the city the next day ? the first place to start with ? and then..... ??

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
2,964 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Solo Traveller - 1 Day in Munich

a cab from the airport to the south part of the city centre would be 65 to 75 euro depending on traffic.

as for the other questions, the city centre is small so just wander about with one of the free maps that hotels give out and you'll figure it out.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
26 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Solo Traveller - 1 Day in Munich

ok ! thanks munich_wanderer :)

I have drawn a list of places i would like to see :

- Hofbrauhaus

- Marienpltz

- Asam Church

- St. Peter's Church

- Market Viktualienmarkt

Is it possible to cover them in one day ?

i will be staying either at Hotel Brack, 80337 or at Dachau, Bavaria.[Rosswachtstr. 15, 85221]

which one of these is a better location so that i spend less time on transportation from one place to next ...Kindly advise ....

could anyone guide me with the usage of local transport from these places ?

Thanks a lot :)

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
2,964 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Solo Traveller - 1 Day in Munich

if you walk 10minutes from Hotel Brack (or less even) you are at Asam Church.

Walk 5minutes more is Marienplatz. 2 or 3 minutes up Kaufingerstrasse (main shopping street) is St Peters and Victualienmarkt is 2 or 3 minites from Marienplatz too. And Hofbrauhaus is 3 or 4 minutes a different direction walk from Marienplatz.

So, if you stay at hotel Brack (or any of the 100s of hotels in the city centre) you wont need any transport - just a map from your hotel which they will give you for free.

The English Gardens are also a short walk north of Marienplatz, which brings you by the opera house, Maximillian strasse which has all the expensive clothes shops and the residence which the king used to live in.

Munich is amazingly easy to get about by foot.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
26,025 posts
524 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Solo Traveller - 1 Day in Munich

"or at Dachau, Bavaria.[Rosswachtstr. 15, 85221]"

Why would you stay there unless you were visiting the camp and that was your focal point of your visit?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
26 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Solo Traveller - 1 Day in Munich

Thanks munich_wanderer!! that was really helpful

@jordansbulls : That is a hostel and would be quite cheap! i could save about 100 euros and spend that on shopping :P

Karlsruhe, Germany
Destination Expert
for Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
9,636 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Solo Traveller - 1 Day in Munich

You say you have one day, which is very short for any large city anyway. Dachau is not Munich but a separate town on the outskirts. Why would you want to waste hours of your precious time for transfers, instead nof staying next to the attractions and making the most of your short visit?

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
2,964 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Solo Traveller - 1 Day in Munich

if you still havent booked accomodation then check out hostelworld.com which has lots of hostels downtown by the main station for very affordable cost.

OK, its a hostel where the best deals are when you share a room, but if you are out seeing things till late, have a few beer before bed and come prepared with some earplugs then you wouldnt notice youre sharing a room till you wake up again.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
26 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Solo Traveller - 1 Day in Munich

@BlandineForberg : Yes ! i just thought if it doesn't eat much of my time, then i could stay there !

@ munich_wanderer : will check hostelworld.com ! found out the Dachau, Bavaria on www.hihostels.com

Thinking it would be better to stay at Brack as its my first visit & i do not know much about the place ! so would be better if i spend less time on commuting from one place to another !!

WHich area codes should i search though in hostelworld.com which would be close to the tourist spots?