We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Oktoberfest Beer Tents

Which Munich hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Kansas City...
Level Contributor
37 posts
228 reviews
Save Topic
Oktoberfest Beer Tents

Hi!

Do you think I am too late to reserve a table for Oktoberfest? I have a group of 5 and we were hoping to reserve something Oct 1st or 2nd. We are not picky about time of day. I've been using http://www.oktoberfest.de/ and looking at the larger tents, but everything requires calling or mailing in. I am okay with sending a letter, but not sure if it is worth the postage this late in the game?

Would love any advice!! (We already have hotels) Do we even need reservations as a group of 5? Sounds like we could just go first thing in the AM and easily get a seat in a tent until reservations start if we are desperate, but I know that the real party doesn't start until later.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Florida
Level Contributor
2,219 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Oktoberfest Beer Tents

Be careful of asking here for "tent reservations". I've seen a couple scams in the last week, alone.

Ask your hotel if they can arrange something for you. That would be "safe" and trustworthy.

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
37 posts
228 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Oktoberfest Beer Tents

Ah! Thanks for the heads up!

San Francisco
Level Contributor
33 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Oktoberfest Beer Tents

The days you are looking at going you might have some luck finding reservations particularly if you request a lunch time reservation. Most require a minimum of 6 or 8, make sure you also check availability the smaller tents which are equally as fun.

Every tent has a slightly different process for requesting a reservation, some are mostly online while others you need to fax a request and wait for their response. In all situations to obtain a reservation you will have to pre-pay the equivalent of 2 liters of beer and one lunch/dinner plate per person and they will provide you vouchers when you check-in for your table. If a tent confirms a reservation do not be surprised if they send instructions requiring you to wire transfer funds in advance, most (maybe all) tents only accept direct wire transfers. I was very hesitant of this process but have done it 3 or 4 times without any problems. I agree with Castleblanca, be careful if you "buy" a reservation through any re-seller and suggest that you first try to work with the tents directly.

As you have stated the alternative is to show up a little early and find a table which you probably stand a decent chance of being able to do given that you are going mid-week - Oct 1 is probably the best day to do this.

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
37 posts
228 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Oktoberfest Beer Tents

Good to know. I would ran far and away from any requests to wire funds.

I guess I'm still kind of struggling to find which tents to even apply for... but that is just me needing to do some online research. And learn German :-P

San Francisco
Level Contributor
33 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Oktoberfest Beer Tents

Here's a link to a listing of all the big tents and their websites destination-munich.com/oktoberfest-tent.html

I've been to the Heinz wurst-und hühnerbraterei tent (http://www.heinz-huehnerbraterei.de/) which is considered a small tent but still holds nearly 400 and always enjoyed it very much.

6. Re: Oktoberfest Beer Tents

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 August 2015, 06:15